-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
I was given a Redding carbide expander button for a .308 caliber.
It is supposed to replace the regular expander button in my Redding .308 Win sizing die.
It is free floating along the shaft, supposedly centering itself in the neck and negates the need for lubricating your case necks before sizing. I never read about this on any posts and wonder if it is worth bothering with.
Does anyone have any experience with those carbide buttons, are there any downsides to them?
As is I produce already accurate loads for my .308 Win.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Generally they work very well--but have had a few not make any difference, usually in calibers much smaller than .30.

As always, any sort of expander-ball will work "better" (as in resulting straighter necks) if the brass has consistent neck thickness.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Expander balls also work better when they aren't having to undo the excessive sizing that the neck sections of dies provide for many types of brass. That's the downfall of any expander ball I put in my Redding FL die for 308 Winchester. It is a very tight necked die.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gyrfalcon
I was given a Redding carbide expander button for a .308 caliber.It is supposed to replace the regular expander button in my Redding .308 Win sizing die.It is free floating along the shaft, supposedly centering itself in the neck and negates the need for lubricating your case necks before sizing. I never read about this on any posts and wonder if it is worth bothering with. Does anyone have any experience with those carbide buttons, are there any downsides to them? As is I produce already accurate loads for my .308 Win.

I've fitted quite a few of my standard Redding dies with the carbide expander buttons. They are easier on the neck I.D.'s and reduce the necks tendancy to end up canted a bit as they come off the expander. They don't completely eliminate the need for 'lube' inside the neck, though.....you can use a powdered graphite lube rather than a traditional lube like Imperial which is big upside.

With the carbide expander balls, it's actually better to not excessively brush clean the inside of the necks.....the powder residue acts as an additional friction reducer.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Expander balls also work better when they aren't having to undo the excessive sizing that the neck sections of dies provide for many types of brass. That's the downfall of any expander ball I put in my Redding FL die for 308 Winchester. It is a very tight necked die.

I recently got a new set of Redding.308 dies, having left my old set of .308 dies with my son, out in Missouri. It’s a “Premium” Deluxe die set (FL and neck sizers and micrometer seating due) . Like all my Redding dues, they are beautifully machined, really nice tools, but yes, they squeeze down the necks more than I would like. I communicated my concerns about it to Redding, but they are okay with it. My only.308 is a 1B, strictly a hunting rifle, so brass life is not a big concern or I’d probably open them up a bit.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Concentricity is affected as well as brass life.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Take about 15 minutes to address the excessive sizing issue. Five minutes to indicate it using a tight fitting pin gauge, one minute to open it up with a carbide reamer and 5 minutes to deburr it from the bottom. The other four minutes are for a couple sips of coffee. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Did a .17 Remington just recently...took it from 188 to .195. Worked great.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks Al, I'll just pop over to the lathe I don't have in the shop I don't have.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Al, I'll just pop over to the lathe I don't have in the shop I don't have.

I hear 'ya! smile

What size neck diameter do you want in the die? Let me know and I'll see if I have a reamer. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

.332" would be great.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Opportunity! Al's reaming service.

GOA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don't they typically get lapped to size?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
.332" would be great.

Just looked...no .332 reamer. frown

If you want to lap it, some pals have had very good luck with the Acro Lap barrel laps. It takes some time but is easily done with a drill at home. For your situation, the 5/16" would work as they will expand another 15% and get you to .332. A 'Q' letter drill bit is .332 so you could use that for a gauge if you don't have pin gauges.

https://www.penntoolco.com/acro-laps-for-high-speed-lapping-polishing-deburring/

Hope this helps. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Don't they typically get lapped to size?

Dennis, yes they can be lapped as I posted. I've found a carbide reamer to be the best approach as the surface hardening of most dies is .003-.004 thick. Depending on the quality of the material the die maker uses, the carbide generally leaves a really nice finish even if it's removed the hardened surface layer. Some die makers use nasty material and depend on the hardened layer. Others use high quality material and high quality hardening.

At times, I'll quickly lap the reamed hole with some 600 grit compound...depends how it looks after the reamer gets done.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.