Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any opinions on who has the best caribou hunting in AK? I'm looking to book a trip for 08' and want to go with the best outfit I can find -- I've heard that drop camps often tend to be placed in areas that may not be quite as good as the areas that the fully guided hunters are in - True or not?? Guessing that caribou hunting isn't much more difficult than antelope hunting just logistically more complicated - How much does a guy need to spend to get a good hunt with a lot of trophy potential and is the fully guided route the best option??

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I am bias because I live up here and operate a rental service here but unit 23 tops them all. We have 460,000+ caribou to choose from and an area the size of Indiana with lots of rivers to float and enjoy. 100% of my floaters bagged bulls this year. Shoot me a pm and lets talk!

Walt
www.northwestalaska.com
Kotzebue, Alaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd also contact Larry Bartlett of Pristine Ventures, he wrote the book on float hunting caribou, no, really, he did write the book. Go to his website and check it out and see if he might have what your looking for in a caribou hunt.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just returned from a drop hunt in Unit 23 N. of Kotzebue near the Squirrel River. If you can hunt and are in good walking condition, you can get nice caribou by yourself in this area. It will however, be a lot of work, we packed four caribou three miles apiece, so you need to get your legs in shape. As a matter of fact, we rented our tent and kitchen from Walt in Kotzebue. The people may put their guided hunters in better areas, I can't answer that, but there are plenty of big bulls in the area to go around.

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is a moose/caribou combo a possibility or is one better served to do one or the other? ---- NWAlaska PM Sent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can do both but the key is to focus on one animal first thentry for the other. There are tons of places you can go to get both on the same trip. Like I mentioned earlier, contact Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures, he runs a hunt planner and can get you into the animals.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Just returned from a hunt in the Kilbuck Mountians out of Bethel with Papa Bear Adventures. This was our second hunt with them and will not be the last. They are a first class operation. With that being said, our first hunt was in 2004 and it was a struggle to find caribou. On this hunt, we saw close to 3000 caribou in the first 5 days and didn't see any at all after day 5. We were in the right place at the right time on this last hunt. You know that you are in a good place when several of the cows are wearing tracking collars. Don't expect the caribou to walk into your camp, although it does happen, normally after everyone has tagged out and carried the last caribou for 4 miles up hill. Our caribou this year averaged 2 miles from camp so you need a good pack frame and boots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Don't expect the caribou to walk into your camp, although it does happen, normally after everyone has tagged out and carried the last caribou for 4 miles up hill. "

Rollin' here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,515
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.