Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm building a 180 qt crawfish pot to run on natural gas and trying to figure out my burners. I'm looking at the 23 tip natural gas jet burners. Thinking of putting 2 of them under this pot. That should give me more than enough output to get it boiling.

I have just upgraded my NG system to a 2 lb setup because 8" of pressure isn't enough to drive this big of a pot or any of my other things. So Now I have a new meter for the higher flow rate and they installed a drop for me to tie into for using 2lb NG instead of 8" of pressure. Big difference when you put that to a burner. The old 8" regulator was installed downstream my T connection so the house appliance never knew of any change. They still work the same.

This is the burner that I was looking at.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This is a 20-Ton reverse press brake I built to make the pot as well as brake out any plate I want for any of my builds.

So.... My question is has anyone used these burners before on propane of NG for anything else (brewing beer, anything)? And if so how far from the pot bottom did you mount the burners? I added wind deflectors on the front and back and may do the sides as well. It will trap the heat and I should be able to run less gas (in theory), but I've never used one of these burners before. So tell me what you have and I'll kinda go from there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

I haven’t used natural gas for cooking.

Only propane.

Coonass burners. ( grease zerk with the ball removed)

I took the factory regulator off and use a acetylene regulator.

I can crank it up.

One i use now is a simple jet burner. Stainless. Came for Keif’s hardware. Galiano LA.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
oh yeah, have those on my other pot, but got tired of multiple boils so I made this big one. There is a disclaimer that states to mount it approx 12" from the bottom of the pot. That is alot. so I'm trying to get an idea on mounting height from the bottom of the pot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can;t help you with the burner question.

I just want to know................................

when's dinner?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
oh yeah, have those on my other pot, but got tired of multiple boils so I made this big one. There is a disclaimer that states to mount it approx 12" from the bottom of the pot. That is alot. so I'm trying to get an idea on mounting height from the bottom of the pot.

The jet burner I’ve got has a moveable thick plate that is a couple inches about the burner to protect the pots.

If you cooking on lower ( simmer) you can swing the plate out of the way.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I might consider something elongated. Like a common manifold with a similar type of nozzle along the length on both sides of the manifold. Not sure from your picture of the burner, but would you think the heat would be concentrated and not spread out?

Just a thought.

PS. nice work.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
That is a slick brake press you fabricated there. Nice!

GOA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BLG
I might consider something elongated. Like a common manifold with a similar type of nozzle along the length on both sides of the manifold. Not sure from your picture of the burner, but would you think the heat would be concentrated and not spread out?

Just a thought.

PS. nice work.

Clyde

Not sure, I was going to install 2 of them being the pot is 36" wide

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
That is a slick brake press you fabricated there. Nice!

Yeah I like it. Made it mostly out of scrap in my shop.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BLG

Just a thought.

PS. nice work.

Clyde

Concur...

We built a lead shot dripper... never worked so well, but we tried.

The one after the fact item I wish I had more flexibility on was was the burned height up and down...

Mechanic told me years ago on a propane torch... "tip if the blue flame"... kinda always remembered that.

Either way... VERY NICE WORK!

LOTTA crawfish gonna hit the table FAST.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You must really like crawdads!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well it gives me flexibility. one sack, and all the additional items for normal boils or I can fit plenty more for big gatherings. Hell I had the plate in my shop just sitting there. So figured why not. But I want to get the burner right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love crawfish

living in Mobile, we attended many of them.

Up here in Ohio, a local place brings up a guy in May to cook them for a weekend but its not the same.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice fab work. What thickness and width material can you bend with your brake?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The brake is 48" and the pot is made of 1/8". But the damn jack didnt even squat. It's an air over hydraulic 20-ton jack. Hook to my air compressor and simply hit the button. Picked up a digital angle finder to double check my designs. I draw everything out on Visio which is similiar to CAD.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love crawfish

Up here in Ohio, a local place brings up a guy in May to cook them for a weekend but its not the same.

Exactly. My parents moved to Kansas city for 2 years and tried it up there. People looks at us like we were crazy.

We even throw deer sausage in it. Give it an extra kick.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The brake is 48" and the pot is made of 1/8". But the damn jack didnt even squat. It's an air over hydraulic 20-ton jack. Hook to my air compressor and simply hit the button. Picked up a digital angle finder to double check my designs. I draw everything out on Visio which is similiar to CAD.

Sounds like it works great.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love crawfish

Exactly. My parents moved to Kansas city for 2 years and tried it up there. People looks at us like we were crazy.

We even throw deer sausage in it. Give it an extra kick.

Bet they looked at folks really weird when they sucked crawdad heads?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There has got to be a local coonass into "boiling" other items that can offer some advice

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
There has got to be a local coonass into "boiling" other items that can offer some advice

Exactly. Brewing Beer, anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,198
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.