Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I want to build a 7mag using a Defiance Anti to help keep the weight down. I’m choosing 7 mag based on the fact that factory ammo is findable at a few local box stores and I can always do custom loads.

Two things I need some wisdom on for planning

1. Bottom metal ( magazine)
I’ve heard there are possible issues with belted cartridges and magazine Feeding? Recommendations

2. Barrel

For a 24 “ threaded 5/8 finish should I go Bartlein Carbon or go with a 2b or 3 ( I don’t think I can get the 5/8 thread)
What does the crowd recommend

Thanks

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 9 twist, 26” Proof CF, 7mm RM Sendero Lite that I really like. It shoots 180 Hybrids at 2950 fps into nice little clusters. I would and will buy another Proof CF barrel.

I’m leaning hard towards a 7 SAUM or a 7 PRC, if and when Hornady ever ligitimizes it, but either will have a Proof. Nothing against Bartlein, as my steel Bartlein barrels shoot outstanding, but I have no experience with their CF barrels. I do have multiple Proofs and they all shoot spectacularly.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What is your BM and magazine choice?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd skip the 7 mag and the belt and run a 26 or a 28 Nosler.
The 26 is a sweet hart factory ammo shoots 1 inch groups at 300 yards.
I like PTG BDL never had a issue even with belted mags
My favorite Sporter barrel is Rockcreek. I'd skip the carbon wrap stuff just on price alone.
Brux or Krieger otherwise as light as you can stand it.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I was building a 7 Rem I’d likely go with another 1-8 #2 contour Krieger, have the shank Turned down.

PTG or any bottom metal in the BDL configuration you like will be good.

Good luck with your build.

Semper Fi
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have a 7mm RM built on a Borden timberline with a Bartlien 2b and wouldn't want it any heavier, if budget isn't a big concern a Bartlien #4 carbon fiber would be nice!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If the maker says that they'll feed a belted cartridge then you should be OK. Most feeding issues with belted cartridges come from converting old military rifles to feed them.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd do ADL if doing another 7mm mag. It appears the Defiance would allow it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
so many concerned with feeding issues with belted cartridges.i have several customs built using belted cartridges,never had a issue.as far as barrels are concerned,bartlein and benchmark are both making carbon wrapped and we all know bartleins reputation.myself havnt used one yet but know they are excellent.also i have a benchmark sporter barrel which at finished weight of 25" is about 3.25 lbs.everybit the equal of any other i have had and better than some of the others.dan muller is also making excellent barrels.i like your choice in action choice.every ounce counts in a carry rifle.good luck with your build.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a stainless 26" take off barrel I was thinking of putting together a ADL in 7mm mag with it. But fate intervened I stumbled onto a pre Garcia L61R Sako in 7mm mag. real cheap that needs some minor stock repair and tlc. No it's not real light weight but it will work fine...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can buy a Proof pre-fit at Midway right now, Carbon 24". The pre-fits say "Ruckus" only but they will work on a number of Defiance actions, mostly those with a recessed bolt face. I just installed one on a Tenacity last week.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother can hit a deer in the neck at 500 yards with his factory barrel 7mmRM.

But he uses load book loads.

With my hot handloads, I can beat him over the chronograph with a 280AI and still get long brass life.

I have built, with premium barrels, (6) 7mm RM rifles and (2) 280AI rifles.

But at 500 yards, I still aim for the shoulder.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birddogcatfish
I want to build a 7mag using a Defiance Anti to help keep the weight down. I’m choosing 7 mag based on the fact that factory ammo is findable at a few local box stores and I can always do custom loads.

Two things I need some wisdom on for planning

1. Bottom metal ( magazine)
I’ve heard there are possible issues with belted cartridges and magazine Feeding? Recommendations

2. Barrel

For a 24 “ threaded 5/8 finish should I go Bartlein Carbon or go with a 2b or 3 ( I don’t think I can get the 5/8 thread)
What does the crowd recommend

Thanks

Sounds like you don't Reload and given that starting fact,you'd do well with a different chambering. Hint.

Go 6.5 Kreedmire and thank me later. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I got a couple creedmoors already, I was thinking of something with some more punch for the occasional chance of an aoudad in rough country. While maybe not the best, I’ve seen a large selection of 7mag ammo on the shelf as it seems seems the newer rounds are the trend

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Punch" is a factor derived by projectile selection,MUCH more than headstamp selection. Keep schit real and simply don't bullschit yourself. Hint.

What are you gunning for Fodder in Kreedmire now? What wouldja'be gunning in 7mm Rem Mag? Hint.

I'd add that actual Trigger Time and Abilities,do tend to skew thangs. Reduction in recoil and ammo cost,do tend to swing said pendulum to boot. Hint.

Fun schit,never ain't not fun. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What would be your projectile for

6.5?

7?

30?

Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Start At The Fhuqking Start and cite rifle/chambering specifics. Hint..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Start At The Fhuqking Start and cite rifle/chambering specifics. Hint..............

Saw that coming.... lol

Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,025
Posts18,500,501
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.