Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Garrett Hammerheads have been very good for me. They do not expand so if you need penetration, they are tough to beat for factory fodder.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kunas
Just picked up a 10" 44 mag barrel for my contender, gonna set it up for bear hunting, What load is recommended for bear, most of the bears will be probs between 150-300 lbs. Im thinking hornady 240 xtp should be good medicine for the task at hand. Looking for opinions. The barnes 225 would probs be a good pick also i would think
thanks Ron

Will your Contender barrel shoot heavier bullets accurately?

Some barrels do not shoot heavier weights accurately.

If yours will shoot the heavier weights fine, i would opt for a 300-305-310 grain SWC type hard cast bullet with a wide meplat and push it around 1000 to 1100 fps. That will be heavy enough and fast enough to shoot clean through any bear you are going to encounter, yet still be reasonable in the recoil department.

The bullet on the right is a 305 grain would be a good choice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I second that. Flat nose makes holes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475
150 to 300 pound Black Bear about (any) 240 grain bullet will blow right through them.

Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
The ol' "Max dose of 296" trick is usually my first one.

That powder booms, flashes, and just pushes the hell out of a bullet from a .44 mag. Knocks the hell outta stuff.

There's not much to argue with in these two posts. There aren't many combinations in your Contender chambered for the .44 Magnum that won't work nigh-on perfect for black bear at the ranges usually encountered over either bait or dogs.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=91

See the 310 grain in this line up https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/

more then you need for black bears, but so what?
They do work very well on everything from antelope to moose.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never shot a bear with a 44 but I’ve shot several deer and one rather large boar. Most were with 240XTP and I believe 23.5 H110. I’ve used them out of rifles and revolvers. Never caught one as they all fully penetrated and caused rapid kills. I’ve used a few nosler 240 hp and soft points and a few 240 white box. They all worked very well. My nephew shot a few deer with 300xtp and didn’t like them as he felt they weren’t expanding at handgun velocities. I shot one deer with the 300xtp out of a rifle and if memory serves me correctly it passed completely through a medium sized buck on a strong quartering angle. He dropped at the shot.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Fury01
I second that. Flat nose makes holes.

Timely thread, i sized a bunch of WW 44 mag brass last night, they're in the tumbler now, separated my loads, 300gr A Frames and 340gr Rimrocks, will set case trimmer to max length and check for any too long, prime with CCI-350's and wait to load next go around, will do same with the brass from loads mentioned above when they're shot up, my stainless Ruger Bisley 44 mag is off at Alan Hartons getting it's barrel cut to 5.5 inches.

I think either load would be great for any bear, will be fun getting this rig ready for fall.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Black bears aren’t as hard to kill as some people let on. I’ve killed them with 175 grain silvertips out of my bisley Blackhawk chambered in 41, not 44 but an animal wouldn’t know the difference when hit with either. As long as you stay away from the shoulder, drop back a little and put it in his lungs he’s gonna die fast. The bullet choice is left up to your fancy. The reason I shoot the 175 silvertips is because they pop less than the 240 xtp’s I’ve shot in my bisley. Bears are real thin skinned, the only real issue is their hair and fat sealing up the exit wound and leaving you with no blood trail. That’s where a good expanding bullet comes into play. When I run out of silvertips I’ll probably go to 180 barnes.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Check twist rate on those 225 Barnes. I was going to use them in a muzzleloader and I didn’t have enough spin. Ended up using the 200 gr version at probably 2200 fps or so with a max load of BH209. Shot a 160 lb live weight buck at around 50 or 60 yards. Broke the near shoulder, scrambled the insides and exited the off shoulder. Found 3 petals within a couple inches of the exit. I would not hesitate to shoot a 300 lb critter with that load. The pic below is top to the left and bottom to the right of the carcass hanging. This is after I removed the offside shoulder. The hole that looks like it has a couple of sticks in it is the exit. Those sticks are a broken rib.

[Linked Image]

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like a 300 grain hard cast bullet.

Texas
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A friend has shot a half dozen "pest control bears" with his .44 mag 16" Rossi carbine and Hornady 240gr. XTP bullets. He lives in a remote area of Northern BC and gets the call from his friend the conservation officer when a nearby neighbour has a bear causing mischief. He doesn't like using that bullet any more for bears. Said he had poor penetration and had to shoot several bears more than once. He prefers flat nose / non hollow point bullets now.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Don’t over think it. Anything over 200 grains and solid. In my bear camp in northern Minnesota I’ve seen most all in the last 40 years.
Shoot what your most accurate with and stay off the shoulders. Bears have big lungs and don’t survive nor go far when you whistle lead thru them.
I carry a 44mag and have done well with it. I use Hornady 225gr STX. Why? Got a deal on em.
Enjoy your hunt.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 04/03/22.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

These 300 grain Hammers at 1100 might not bounce off.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by kunas
Just picked up a 10" 44 mag barrel for my contender, gonna set it up for bear hunting, What load is recommended for bear, most of the bears will be probs between 150-300 lbs. Im thinking hornady 240 xtp should be good medicine for the task at hand. Looking for opinions. The barnes 225 would probs be a good pick also i would think
thanks Ron

Will your Contender barrel shoot heavier bullets accurately?

Some barrels do not shoot heavier weights accurately.

If yours will shoot the heavier weights fine, i would opt for a 300-305-310 grain SWC type hard cast bullet with a wide meplat and push it around 1000 to 1100 fps. That will be heavy enough and fast enough to shoot clean through any bear you are going to encounter, yet still be reasonable in the recoil department.

The bullet on the right is a 305 grain would be a good choice.

I have a couple of molds that make bullets like the center one in your picture. One of my molds makes a 245 grain flat base bullet that I use for practice and plinking, the other makes a 250 gr bullet with a gas check. These are the ones that I load with a near max load of WW 296, and I wouldn't hesitate to use those bullets on any black bear.

Your certainly put a heavy crimp on those bullets.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had nothing but trouble when shooting 300gr bullets in my 44mag revolver. Impacts were too high and there wasn't enough adjustment in the sights to accommodate for the divergent bullet path. I tried a higher front sight, but it dragged in the holster. I hated the too tall front sight anyway, so I removed it.

I have a fair supply of Nosler 250gr Partition bullets. They are my "go to" bullet for black bears when carrying a 5" S&W 629.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Anything over the 200 grain mark in a 44 mag that expands should work fine. 296, H 110, N 110 are good powders. I ran Speer 240 JSP’s with a good dose of VV N110 out of a Taurus Tracker SS and knocked a 250 lb BB out of a tree no problem. Stone dead when it hit the ground.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.