Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
any vx-L users out there,how are they compared to other vx lines

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are the same just have the half moon cut out for the ability to sit lower to the barrel.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
They feature Diamond Coat coatings which makes their coatings hold up much longer than any thing else.
All other coatings, I understand it, degrade from even the best of care. After a few years, your scope won't be quite as sharp or bright as a new one of the same type. Diamond Coat coatings largely avoid that. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so, let me see if I understand this, you take a 50mm scope, cut away part of the bottom to solve a problem that does not exist, reduce the glass surface area so it's more like a 45mm scope and this is an improvement?

I have been a long time leupold supporter but they are losing me as a consumer bit by bit. I think the vx-l line is a joke and the vx-7 is overpriced by several hundred. the vx-i line is not really necessary and the vxII line is pushing the price for quality limit. I recently bought a vx2 in 3x9x40 but for $300 the price is a little steep.

I do however think the vx3 line is the best scope for the money, conquests not excluded.

s&b focuses on doing one thing right, building high quality optics. they dont try to be all things to all people. leupold is trying to grow the business by expanding their product line with lower quality offerings and imports from japan. personally, I thinks it's a bad move and the vx-L and vx7 are going to fail. the vx7 by price, the vx-L by utility.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
They feature Diamond Coat coatings which makes their coatings hold up much longer than any thing else.
All other coatings, I understand it, degrade from even the best of care. After a few years, your scope won't be quite as sharp or bright as a new one of the same type. Diamond Coat coatings largely avoid that. E

Again you are making a claim that you can back up.....Show your proof are stop making the statement as a matter of fact, which of course it is not..........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like an ad campaign to me.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Leupold's Diamond Coat coatings have been around for some time now. They need prove nothing as they already have done so. You need to prove they are not what they claim. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Leupold makes their own scopes.
Leupold is far more successful in selling rifle scopes than Zeiss, S&B and Swarovski combined. That's because they make a product that is more reliable and is designed to meet the needs of serious hunters at a very competitive price. E

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I see one every once and awhile at the range, I've looked through them as well and think they seem on par with VXIII's. Nice scope but in my opinion a bad marketing idea, one that will likely fail in my opinion. I'd be shocked if Leupold is still making them in 2 years.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
While a novel idea that does address one of the major drawbacks of the big 50-56mm scopes, I think they are a wasted effort as well. Very few hunters have any real need of a 50-56mm scope. On top of all of that, they have alot more problems than the smaller, lighter models. E

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Leupold's Diamond Coat coatings have been around for some time now. They need prove nothing as they already have done so. You need to prove they are not what they claim. E

Let's se you claimed the following

Originally Posted By: Eremicus

Prove your baseless claim, prove the coatings to be tougher than other top brands..You can't..........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Talk to Leupold. I understand they meet some sort of military requirement for abrasion resistant coatings with one of their tactical optics for which they have a military contract.
Back when the coatings were new, they used to demonstrate their hardness at gun/hunting shows.
Everybody knows that the coatings on most optics are easily damaged. That's why we go to great lenths to carefully clean them. But, according to Barsness, even with the best of care, after a few years, you can see the difference. He told me once that he knew four dead serious hunters who bought new scopes every few years because of this. With super hard coatings, this wouldn't be necessary. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Let's see Leupy meet a Military requirement for abrasive restant coatins...Then that means so has Nightforce,S&B, and anyothers that the Military purchases... You stated earlier that Leupys Diamond Coating (made from diamond dust as you reported once) was in fact more durable than any other manufactorer and you have no proof of that claim...........

Your claim here,

[Quote] by Eremicus

"They feature Diamond Coat coatings which makes their coatings hold up much longer than any thing else.
All other coatings, I understand it, degrade from even the best of care. After a few years, your scope won't be quite as sharp or bright as a new one of the same type. Diamond Coat coatings largely avoid that. E [Quote]

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Military conmtracts vary alot. Very few apparently have such an abrasion resistence requirement. If they did, only Leupold and Burris, to my knowledge, could meet the requirements. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Military specs do not change,per contract again misinformation. Contract criteria can indeed change,but the products must still meet Mill Specs... W

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
E, you made the claim, now back it up, that's all. Since you told everyone that this coating was made with diamonds, prove your case bud!

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/28/07.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us not forget the following statement made by E concerning Diamondcoat.

They feature coatings made from diamonds, which are ten times harder than other coating compounds. This means the light transmitting ability, and image quality of the scope, will not degrade from tiny scratches on the lenses, that occur even with the best of care, at anything like the rate of other scopes.

grin grin

So why should we now believe any claims that E makes about diamondcoat?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The whole "Answer to a question nobody asked" gag is starting to get old, and never was particularily witty. Besides badly paraphrasing Jeff Cooper's comment on double actions, I'm not sure that it's true. Surely there must be someone that wants both a decent cheek-weld and a large objective on a scope?

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VX-L = pooperscooper
lupie asleep at the controls,as usual
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The smith/dealer here had a new Kimber Montana 300 WSM on the rack in the customers section as he had just mounted a new Leupold variable with that cutout on the bottom of the objective. Guess its the L model.

The customer had just called him from Montana where he is hunting saying the word there is that the L scope is no good. He asked if he could cancel the order. The smith said no, sorry its already on the gun.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,531 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,984
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.