Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I have located one that I more than likely will take possession of in a couple of weeks Can bring it home for $1200 with leupold bases and rings and a couple of boxes of weatherby factory Ammo This has kind of been one of my all time wants The caliber and the rifle (which is not magnaported and has no brake) round count is one full box It’s pristine Any drawbacks issues or regrets from any accumark owners I have a vx3 4.5-14x50 long range waiting on it Any suggestions on solid scope mounts (have always used standard leupold But was thinking maybe dual dovetails for this rifle. I’m 48 Wanted to get this monster before I got to old that my health doesn’t affect me being able to enjoy the caliber Again any input is appreciated Let me know what you think Thanks again

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice score on the 340.

If it were mine I’d like go with Warne Bases and TPS alloy rings or similar. Whichever height is best suited to you.

The 340 is a bad SOB. CONGRATS

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Kind of on a .338 run Picked up a 338 win mag Remington 700 classic Saturday and sealed the deal on the 340 accumark Sunday

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I just want something Rock solid for this monster

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used a leupold single base on a wood stocked one.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would go with Warne bases and Burris Signature rings with the inserts. Or double dovetails with Signature rings if you can find them.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get you a Egw base and seekins(vortex ) rings. Blue locktite the base , make sure the front screw doesn’t bottom out on the barrel. Install it first and see if base wiggles! . You can thank me latter! I’ve done a bunch of these for my rifles and customers. The dual dove tails don’t seem to hold unless you crush the tube. Trust me

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never had Burris Signature rings slip or crush a tube, double dovetail nor Weaver style Zee rings…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Having owned a few accumarks and now own a Terramark they are very accurate rifles. My Terramark is the most accurate rifle I own and it is not close.

I would go Burris 2 piece extreme bases and signature rings. Trigger adjustment on them is easy but most will not go below 3-3.5 lbs with the factory spring. You can easily replace the trigger with a trigger tech if you want . I have replaced mine with one and it is night and day.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
What's wrong with the bases and rings that come with it?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have used Leupold dual dovetail mounts many times, always good,

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've found the bigger WB calibers come back awful fast once you hit the trigger. Which is why the round count is one box. Not a rifle I'd shoot prone. I've owned a Accumark and a Euromark in 300 WB, and they are fine rifles. LOP is too short for me as my knuckles drag on the ground when I walk. But it's my only complaint.

Last edited by Lee_Woiteshek; 03/02/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used an Accumark in 340 Wby on several spot & stalk Black Bear hunts in British Columbia. Great combination of bullet weight and flat trajectory. Weatherby used to offer special pricing to have an Accubrake installed at an authorized shop, in case the recoil proves to be too much.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
I have located one that I more than likely will take possession of in a couple of weeks Can bring it home for $1200 with leupold bases and rings and a couple of boxes of weatherby factory Ammo This has kind of been one of my all time wants The caliber and the rifle (which is not magnaported and has no brake) round count is one full box It’s pristine Any drawbacks issues or regrets from any accumark owners I have a vx3 4.5-14x50 long range waiting on it Any suggestions on solid scope mounts (have always used standard leupold But was thinking maybe dual dovetails for this rifle. I’m 48 Wanted to get this monster before I got to old that my health doesn’t affect me being able to enjoy the caliber Again any input is appreciated Let me know what you think Thanks again
................Well imo the first order of biz in your case is to mitigate this cartridge's recoil as best as possible with a brake. No fun if you plan to do some bench shooting as I'm sure you are aware......I am very pleased with my 338-378 Accumark w/accubrake which I have owned since new for a few years now. No complaints.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve shot a weathermark in 340 and 300 for decades. I had a accumark in 30-378 but found it unnecessarily heavy, and with the brake, too long. With the factory ammo, both weathermarks shot better than the accumark. Both would routinely shoot into 1/2.”

I’m not a fan of brakes on hunting rifles if you can shoot them well enough. Others can reasonably disagree. FWIW, I find the 340 more pleasant to shoot than the 300. More of a push than the sharp crack of the 300.

I used leupold one piece bases and rings. Never had a problem. Scope choice is a harder discussion. I had a vari-x-III hold zero for 25 years. However, when I tried to adjust it to change poi for different loads, it immediately died. Recoil related? Failure to adjust for 25 years the problem? I can’t say. FWIW, I felt the 3.5x10 was ideal for deer, elk and antelope to 500+yds. If I were starting anew, I’d probably go the NF route.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One of the first things I do when I check out a 300 or bigger WBY rifle is to make sure the recoil pad is still soft! I had a 340 with a rock hard pad from the 70s and it seemed to multiply the recoil x3!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at Near Mfg. rock solid mounts and he seems to specialize in Wby mounts. I have the one piece ring base setup. It is not cheap and not sure how shipping is these days from Canada.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nice score on the 340.

If it were mine I’d like go with Warne Bases and TPS alloy rings or similar. Whichever height is best suited to you.

The 340 is a bad SOB. CONGRATS

Great choice, or he could go all steel. Something like the Leupold QWR mounts and PRW rings. Those are rock solid. I run those on my lightweight 338wm and they work well. I'm running warne mounts with Burris Zee rings on my 300wby and those are working great. I like your idea of weaver style mounts on a heavy kicker though. That's usually the route I take..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
get you a ken farrell rail with the adjustable recoil lug

TPS rings of your choice

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If it were mine it would have Near Alphunter.

http://trg42.com/alphahunter-mounts/

By the time you buy a rail and quality rings you will be almost as much into it and these weigh 3.5 ounces and lock into the receiver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.