Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Picked this up a week ago... I NEED this truck operational ASAP...

She runs fine. No smoke, oil is good, coolant is good. No visible signs or known reasons why the MASTER "RED CEL" is on...

But a MASTER "RED CEL" is not to be ignored.

Anyone know these?

My mechanics here have the Snap-On Solus code readers, but Mitsubishi is not in the software... so no help. No Mitsubishi shops within 50+ miles. Towing would be big coin. Hate to drive it like this.

Disconnected the batteries (24 volt), but that did not clear anything.

She is governed.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Happy to pay if someone nearby has skills.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks

VIN: jl6cce1s78k014454

2008 Mitsubishi FE180, 4.9L, 4 cyl turbo air cooled diesel

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/13/22. Reason: Model Typo.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never was a fan of snap on. To pop your bubble your vehicle is standard OBDll. A 69.00 Actron scanner will read it. Buy or rent from local auto zone or similar, or just go to WallyWorld as they have universal OBDll scanners.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Never was a fan of snap on. To pop your bubble your vehicle is standard OBDll. A 69.00 Actron scanner will read it. Buy or rent from local auto zone or similar, or just go to WallyWorld as they have universal OBDll scanners.

Think the OP is stating the Snapon scanners do not contain Mitsu software, not that the scanner can't plug in to the vehicle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any symptoms?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chisos

Think the OP is stating the Snapon scanners do not contain Mitsu software, not that the scanner can't plug in to the vehicle.

I understand that. Snap on is overpriced, kinda like the Allen Bradley of the auto world. Make you pay for everything even the software for 600.00 scanners. Any 100.00 or less universal OBDll/ABS CAN scanner will work.

Swifty
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by high_country_
Any symptoms?

None at all... Visually coolant is full and green (no foam or sludge). Oil is full and smells fine. Tiny oil leak on the front, really tiny.

I am thinking maybe? Dirty fuel filter and low pressure sensor to the pump? No idea really.

Air filter look fine.

The yellow CEL is not a worry... laundry list of possibilities there, but the Red is the biggie.

Trying to chase all the things that could throw a RED CEL.

Scan would help.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

I understand that. Snap on is overpriced, kinda like the Allen Bradley of the auto world. Make you pay for everything even the software for 600.00 scanners. Any 100.00 or less universal OBDll/ABS CAN scanner will work.

Googling that...

Normal OBD II don't list the FE180 Fuso, but this one maybe? Lots of scams on the web.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[b][/b]

Agree on that. When my nephew decided in high school to become a mechanic, I told him the Snapon truck was the Hotel California of the tool world. Always pay cash and never ever let himself get indebted to the Snapon man.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Any symptoms?

I am thinking maybe? Dirty fuel filter and low pressure sensor to the pump?

I am betting on this or drain your water filter.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Any symptoms?

None at all... Visually coolant is full and green (no foam or sludge). Oil is full and smells fine. Tiny oil leak on the front, really tiny.

I am thinking maybe? Dirty fuel filter and low pressure sensor to the pump? No idea really.

Air filter look fine.

The yellow CEL is not a worry... laundry list of possibilities there, but the Red is the biggie.

Trying to chase all the things that could throw a RED CEL.

Scan would help.

As I said rent or buy from local parts house.

No software needed.

When it comes to usage, this is the perfect OBD 2 scan tool for your daily needs. It measures 10.9 by 7.7 by 2 inches. This implies that you will have an ample time holding it in the hand or keeping it in the car compartment. In addition, the scan tool has an excellent weight of 0.3 ounces which can be a nice assurance that the user will not undergo any burden when using this scanner.

Utilizes True Link Technology

This is one of the exceptional features of this gadget. This feature makes it be universally accepted. As a result, it can be connected to any OBD 2 compliant vehicle regardless of the model.

Greater Compatibility

The cp9680 has the ability to cover both domestic vehicles manufactured in the United States as well as imports and generic car models coming from other corners of the world. The device covers even the earlier years than what most OBDII gadgets do. This includes OBD II compliant vehicles manufactured from 1994 and 1995. Some of the types of vehicles that this device is compatible with include Ford, Toyota, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Chrysler, and Nissan.

Actron cp9680 review

Swifty
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

[b][/b]

Agree on that. When my nephew decided in high school to become a mechanic, I told him the Snapon truck was the Hotel California of the tool world. Always pay cash and never ever let himself get indebted to the Snapon man.

You nailed it, as far as I am concerned these young aspiring mechanics get sucked into the SnapOn predatory lending whirlpool...start a career with a debt load? Worst possible decision. I rate SnapOn with funeral homes, pawn stores, politicians and insurance salesmen. If you guys are in a position to influence a young man going into the mechanical trades...do him a huge favor, steer him to McMaster and Carr or Grainger for industrial grade tools. Think about this, SnapOn is so overpriced they offer an apprentice buy program to students..50% off, think about that.

Last edited by flintlocke; 03/13/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think that the solus has a generic obd reader function does it not? That should at least get the codes read.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks Swifty52...

Researching now... The Actron CP9680 says ALL VEHICLES (but I can not track down what ALL actually means.

The Actron CP9580A (older unit? Lower Quality? Says ALL as well... but the pull down menu does NOT list Mitsubishi... so gauging what ALL actually means... BS-O-Meter with Actron.

I appreciate the insight... sincerely.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
I think that the solus has a generic obd reader function does it not? That should at least get the codes read.

I've seen the Solus do amazing things on LB7s and what not... reading stuff that just seems... "WTF hows it do that?"

I TRUST my mechanics... if the tried with their Solus and said it is a no go... I believe them.

Personally I have no idea... That is why I put up the post.

I sincerely appreciate any help you guys offer.

I'll probably buy a Actron CP9680 anyway... never hurts to old logical stuff.

I do have a old very basic OBD II... it is more of a toy than a tool.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Where do you live that you have a 24 system? Mitsubishi never imported 24v vehicles into North America or Mexico. I can check with my Mitsubishi lad’s tomorrow morning. I let my mitsu training lapse in 2004 , to focus on Mack and Hino, as I hate them little bastards.

You also state that it is air cooled. This may be possible if you are out of the North American market, but, have never heard of it.

That should have a 4M50 motor which is indeed a 4.9 liter. It also should have a dpf as it was built after 1/1/2007. It will not have scr.

Does your code reader spit out anything? Mids, pids, ppids, sids, psids, and fmi can help run it down. Unfortunately there are many things that can cause the check engine light. As it runs well it is likely egr, or dpf, related. Not a good thing. Expensive and nearly impossible to diagnose without the proper software. If you run long enough something bad will happen. Engine was good and so was the trans. However emissions were very problematic for us. If you bought it with the light on you may have bought someone else’s problems.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by stringnut
Where do you live that you have a 24 system? Mitsubishi never imported 24v vehicles into North America or Mexico. I can check with my Mitsubishi lad’s tomorrow morning. I let my mitsu training lapse in 2004 , to focus on Mack and Hino, as I hate them little bastards.

You also state that it is air cooled. This may be possible if you are out of the North American market, but, have never heard of it.

That should have a 4M50 motor which is indeed a 4.9 liter. It also should have a dpf as it was built after 1/1/2007. It will not have scr.

Does your code reader spit out anything? Mids, pids, ppids, sids, psids, and fmi can help run it down. Unfortunately there are many things that can cause the check engine light. As it runs well it is likely egr, or dpf, related. Not a good thing. Expensive and nearly impossible to diagnose without the proper software. If you run long enough something bad will happen. Engine was good and so was the trans. However emissions were very problematic for us. If you bought it with the light on you may have bought someone else’s problems.

I say 24v because of the wiring on the two batteries leads me to believe that. I have MEP-002A generators like that.

Air cooled? I don't think I said that, but maybe I did. It is NOT air cooled.

Yes I bought it with the light on... for what I consider a very fair price in the economy/market (Virginia). $5k. The previous owner (good guy... but knows nothing mechanical) had been driving it to a restaurant supply house to stockpile food for his Mexican restaurants. Honestly, I don't think he knew any better. He bought a better Fuso (with a reefer) and cut this one loose cheap IMHO.

I'll look at the build date... DPF could absolutely be the problem... I had not even considered that. Thanks

My mechanics told me of no codes (their OBD II could not read)... I will check back with them. I trust them.

I know nothing of these trucks... we are rural... my mechanics are meat and potato SBC kinda guys.

I would love a HINO, but zero in my market below $100k that I have found.

Thanks for the time it took to offer your thoughts. More is appreciated. Let me know if you need any $.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Any idea what this is?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like it's indicating air flow through a throttle body, but I certainly am not sure. Maybe a MAF sensor is out??

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not to poke an eye but if your mechanics are SBC and rural meat/potato guys - I'd trust them on rural meat/potato SBC engines.

I get that you "trust" them and I trust my doctor but I'm not taking golf tips from him if it's out of his wheelhouse.

Even in a pro shop with access to all the software, all the tools and all the training, I had CAT guys and Cummins guys and that's where they tended to stay.

Respectfuly, your local mechanic may be trusted - doesn't mean they're the choice here. You might want to bite the bullet and take it to a mitzu shop.

What's your anticipated use?

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exhaust brake indicator lamp, Exhaust brake activated

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 14,340 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,227
Posts18,543,941
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.