Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Would that be twenty rounds? Fifty? A one hundred round afternoon of plinking fun?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Would that be twenty rounds? Fifty? A one hundred round afternoon of plinking fun?

50-100 rounds..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wish I had Bore Tech cleaners back when I shot 100 rounds using H335.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I wish I had Bore Tech cleaners back when I shot 100 rounds using H335.

I agree with you. Its a lot dirtier than newer powders like AR Comp. BLC2 powder is also a dirty one, as I didn't notice much difference between it and H335.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Seafire
I won't use H 335 whatsoever, but I am definitely "Good to Go" with BLC2.... never an issue with it, and it turns in great accurate results..
That and W748 are my Ball powder "Go To" powders...

so much so, even tho I've tried TAC and CFE 223 and a host of other ball powders...
I just keep on circling back to BLC2 and W 748....

never let me down...

Just curious as to why you don't like H335. I have found it to be a great powder for the 223.

The Flash it gives for starters...

I've used a standard load of 25 grains of H 335, and a 55 grain SP bullet.... that blew up TWICE in a Ruger 223....
not my handloads, but factory loads... one by Remington, and then later by Black Hills.. 8 weeks a part.

both times enough to destroy the wooden stock on it...second time, screwing up the bolt that needed repair.

with ALL the other powders that work well in a 223, why bother with it?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Used several jugs of H335 to make MG food for self and others. But never tried to duplicate M193. The charge was 24 gr behind 55 gr fmjs. Always. So not to worry about lot variation.

Zero issues. Ran everything, including 249s.

But that's the only use I have for the stuff. Many better choices, if slightly less economical or not as reliably metering.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I won't use H 335 whatsoever, but I am definitely "Good to Go" with BLC2.... never an issue with it, and it turns in great accurate results..

so much so, even tho I've tried TAC and CFE 223 and a host of other ball powders...

never let me down...

Just curious as to why you don't like H335. I have found it to be a great powder for the 223.

335 is a great powder in 223, except it’s prone to extreme pressure spikes in hot weather. Sometimes it goes boom instead of bang. I use it once in awhile but never over 80 degrees.

I've never had it go boom, but on a 105 degree day, in a 22-250 I had it weld a case to the bolt.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

never let me down...

335 is a great powder in 223, except it’s prone to extreme pressure spikes in hot weather. Sometimes it goes boom instead of bang. I use it once in awhile but never over 80 degrees.

I
I've never had it go boom, but on a 105 degree day, in a 22-250 I had it weld a case to the bolt.

Interesting back quite a number of years I was messing with 335 in a 22.250 No.1 it was around 90-95 degrees one shot spiked 200 fps and I couldn’t extract the case. Had to take it home and wrap it in cold packs for a couple hours. It finally let me extract the case. If you can’t operate a No.1 action then that is really stuck. Weren’t No boom but close enough.

Swifty
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I'm down to my last 8 lb jug of WC846 (out of 4) and have used it for several different cases. Most of it has been with 223s. Have used 26 grs with both 55 and 50 gr bullets for years. Nice accuracy and adequate velocity with no pressure issues, and both loads shot to the same POI.

Recently, a friend gifted me with an 8lb jug of Data Powder 2200. I loaded a few 50s and 55s with the max charges shown on the original data sheets that Accurate put out for the powder back in the 90s. They surprisingly shot to the same point of impact as the WC846 loads in my L46 Sako. Just for slaps and giggles, I shot one of each of the 4 loads as a group before leaving my range. There were no diamonds left without holes, so I used a corner of the big diamond as the aiming point. The result is shown below. This group was actually smaller than the individual groups...go figure:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Were you guys weighing charges, or just dropping them from your powder measures? Its because of this that I dont trust h335 in hot weather. Thanks

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hook
I'm down to my last 8 lb jug of WC846 (out of 4) and have used it for several different cases. Most of it has been with 223s. Have used 26 grs with both 55 and 50 gr bullets for years. Nice accuracy and adequate velocity with no pressure issues, and both loads shot to the same POI.

Recently, a friend gifted me with an 8lb jug of Data Powder 2200. I loaded a few 50s and 55s with the max charges shown on the original data sheets that Accurate put out for the powder back in the 90s. They surprisingly shot to the same point of impact as the WC846 loads in my L46 Sako. Just for slaps and giggles, I shot one of each of the 4 loads as a group before leaving my range. There were no diamonds left without holes, so I used a corner of the big diamond as the aiming point. The result is shown below. This group was actually smaller than the individual groups...go figure:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hard to beat that. Unless you use 3 different rifles and same load and it does that. You have a good rifle there, that isn't finicky. One of my cheapest rifles (Steven's 200) is like that.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Were you guys weighing charges, or just dropping them from your powder measures? Its because of this that I dont trust h335 in hot weather. Thanks

Guess its how you look at weighing. My procedure
Set measure .01 grains under max if and when I got to that point as all measures and most scales are +- .01
Drop and weigh 5 , drop 4 weigh #10, drop 9 weigh 10 and so on for the number I am loading. Baffles are used.

Ohh, believe it or not on a 95+ degree day at a match I had a max load of benchmark start giving stiff bolt, hard extraction in 223. Therefore I don’t use max loads of any powder(except Vargay cuz it slooooow) on hot days. Kinda like playing Russian Roulette. Win some but.

Last edited by Swifty52; 03/13/22. Reason: My bad

Swifty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've shot a lot of BL-C2 in my 223's. I like the way it meters and its accurate enough to suit me. 5 shots will consistently group into 9/16's to 5/8's. But a safe load here in Arkansas will flatten primers in the Texas Panhandle in the Spring and Summer.

lightman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Guess its how you look at weighing. My procedure
Set measure .01 grains under max if and when I got to that point as all measures and most scales are +- .01
Drop and weigh 5 , drop 4 weigh #10, drop 9 weigh 10 and so on for the number I am loading. Baffles are used.

Ohh, believe it or not on a 95+ degree day at a match I had a max load of benchmark start giving stiff bolt, hard extraction in 223. Therefore I don’t use max loads of any powder(except Vargay cuz it slooooow) on hot days. Kinda like playing Russian Roulette. Win some but.

Thanks swifty. That is good advice. I was wondering because I just drop from my uniflow. That sob drops such accurate charges that I just go with it. Fast and easy that way. The one I use is old and I don't use baffles. I know others always suggest using them, so they sure can't hurt. As long as it works right? I know mathman doesn't concern himself with even .02-.03 gr differences in weight. Maybe that was just for his 308w loads, 223 may be a different story?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lightman
I've shot a lot of BL-C2 in my 223's. I like the way it meters and its accurate enough to suit me. 5 shots will consistently group into 9/16's to 5/8's. But a safe load here in Arkansas will flatten primers in the Texas Panhandle in the Spring and Summer.

That's where real temp stable powders come into play and are highly appreciated. The op is getting some great info.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Under the right conditions even so called temp stable powders can give pressure spikes. Benchmark is one of those as I stated earlier. MD has said many times that they are stable only when used in their designed application, different cartridge or bullet can change that.
I really don’t chose a powder just because it’s supposed temp stable.

Now as far as baffles, my reasoning is if you have ever watched the effects of a small outlet hole on things such as grain bins, coal hoppers or lots of other granulated products in a bin or hopper, they usually have knockers, vibrators, baffles or a combination to stop ratholing, clumping or bridging.
By using the baffle it allows for a stable level and weight on the powder feed. This helps in getting consistent drop charges. Now it’s not really super beneficial with ball powders, but still if you have consistent level and weight it will make drop variations minimal.
They really do shine with flake and coarser powders especially in the Uniflow for the same reasons. A quick test is fill your hopper then drop 25-30 charges back into the jug, weigh #1 then #30 if ratholing or bridging is going on the charge weights will start getting lighter. Then finger snap the hopper a couple of times the first charge will be heavier, while the second should be back to nuts on, or at least it’s always has for me.
Baffles when properly set cures 99% of that.

For those who like to tinker or a baffle isn’t available for your hopper go here, I made my own for an 80’s vintage Hornady measure.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26566&d=1288932878

Swifty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Who makes the best powder measure?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Lee Dippers do....IMHO.

fancier the gizmo, the more room for something to go wrong.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I use 26gr BLC-2 on most bullet and rifle combinations. I like using the uni-flow.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Lee Dippers do....IMHO.

I very seldom blow a snot bubble but you got me with that one..........you cant be serious
laugh
I will stay with my Harrell's and on occasion use a uniflow

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,056
Posts18,501,122
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.