Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had the Browning, but it just felt cheap. I had a Marvel Unit 1 and it was well made and accurate, but I never really had a 1911 lower with a good enough trigger to squeeze out the best accuracy.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It really all depends on what you expect from the pistol. There are NO factory 1911 pistols that are much in the way of accuracy. If you are just a casual shooter having fun, maybe one of the factory 1911 22lr will suit you. But if f you are concerned with accuracy beyond a can shooting pistol and you want it to be 1911 based, you will have to go the conversion route. I am a bullseye pistol shooter and shoot a 1911 with a Kart conversion. There are several good conversions, Marvel and Nelson to name a couple but you will need a 1911 frame and by the time you are done, you will be way past $1000. Pick your poison!
Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago, I had one of the GSG's. There wasn't anything special about it and accuracy was decent ( but I'm not a great shot with a pistol ).

The one thing I can say about it though is that I never had any reliability issues with it. It ran like a champ!

I got rid of it for some reason and until last year, didn't have a 1911 .22LR in the herd.

I came across a Kimber 1911 22 SuperMatch from the Custom Shop...at least I believe that's what it's called.

It's beautiful and I shoot it about as well as any of my other pistols. The only issue I've run into is that I can't get it to run consistently, regardless of what I feed it.

Sub-sonic - it won't run a full magazine without jamming.

Standard velocity - it won't run a full magazine without jamming.

High velocity - it won't run a full magazine without jamming.

A friend liked mine enough to track a NIB on down at a local shop. He has the same issues.

The folks on RFC say this is common and that there really doesn't seem to be a cure for it.

I've tried different lubes, different Kimber magazines, different aftermarket magazines, etc.

The only thing I have done yet, is to change the springs to see if that may cure it's issues.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The GSG magazines are supposed to work in the Kimber pistols. Some say to remove the notch the holds the bolt open.

I had a Kimber pistol that was 99% reliable until you tried it in a match, then it was 99% unreliable. I traded it back to the dealer I bought it from and moved on.

Then I bought a Kimber conversion kit and it’s ran 100% on CCI Mini Mags, Winchester Power Points, Stingers, Remington Golden bullets.

It hates Federal bulk pack, CCI SV and any standard velocity or subs. If I ever find the metal GSG mags in stock, I’ll try one and see if the rumors are true.

Last edited by TWR; 03/15/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks TWR, I've never heard that about the GSG mags.

I'll see if I can locate one and run it in my Kimber.

I love the pistol, just hate how unreliable it is.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It is amazing to me that Sig 1911/22 and GSG operate totally reliably and yet the high-dollar Kimber's have problems - this either says something good about the manufacturers of the Sig and GSG or says something bad about the Kimber manufacturer.
Personally I am all good with my Sig 1911/22 which may not be quite as accurate but operates flawlessly versus a problematic Kimber.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve been thinking the same thing, why can’t Kimber get it right?

But I’ve had the same issues with Ruger MK and Browning Buckmark pistols, they prefer whatever ammo they prefer, my conversion at least gives me several options of good ammo.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/kimber-mag-kit-p/kimber-mag-kit.htm
These are the kits I put in my Kimber mags.
The Marvel mag is supposed to be the same pattern as the Kimber as well.

Last edited by TWR; 03/15/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one of the GSG pieces, marked "Mauser". So far, probably 2 bricks of ammo total, it's been 100% reliable with Mini-mags, not so much with any standard velocity fodder. Just not enough 'oomph' to reliabily work the action. Fun, fairly inexpensive to shoot, and as accurate as I am with any handgun anymore.
There's an outfit in Ohio, I think, that makes all sorts of accessories for the GSG pieces. I'm thinking about changing the recoil spring just to see if I can get it to run standard velocity stuff, since I have several cases of CCCI standards stuck back.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
if you want something that flat shoots, Marvel or Nelson conversion period.. followed by target version of an accurate arms. All are some version of a Bob Marvel.

Last edited by Jglenn; 03/17/22.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Marvel and GSG?!? Never heard of 'em. Hint..............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So it's a kart conversation you stupid bastard

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bisket,

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Not that your Crying Karen Meltdown,expounding upon your Magnificent STUPIDITY,ain't a treat. Perhaps consider holding your breath,to add even more Hissy,to your Clueless Drooling Fhuqktard Fit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, that rusty green one on the right is looking a little peaked. You better send it down to me so I can clean it up and test it for function before sending it back up to you..... wink

Been out fishing lately?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob,

That is my ULTIMATE Sleeper and is handy for dealing with Lippy Fhuqkers. She's welllllllll over 100yrs old,US Property and I tried not to knock too many big chunks of character offa it and I use it expressly to bait hooks,when someone is gonna show me how to shoot. I might get by with a Pistole.(grin)

Speaking of which,I've not bent a rod since yesterday and my camera is in my crummy,but these were the day before. Knocking the new offa New Rifle,if only for giggles. This pattern might could be my favorite and it's "The Bill Cosby",because it will sneak right up and fhuqk unknowing Victims. Hint. LAUGHING!

Ain't even fair.....................(grin)

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't feel the need for a full-size battle pistol to fling 40 grains of lead......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Don, are those after-market sights?
I need to change them out on mine - shoots high, fixed sights, and front is plastic (ugh) - won't stay put.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You are one dumb bastard

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an old Kimber conversion kit, I think it was made by Ciener. It works great with HS ammo and pretty good with std velocity
It’s pretty accurate, this target at 18yds, because that’s what we shoot bowling pin at. Just plinking and having fun it’s hard to beat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.