Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Could never really afford the collector grade stuff so always bought users. I have always wanted one supergrade just to say I had one. Figured it would be an 06. Well, my brother called today and said he had two in front of him. I did end up with them, but there are issues. I guess I wanted to run the basics by guys more knowledgeable than me just to get some thoughts.

First one is a 257 roberts in the 180k serial number range. Stock is original, but some doof thought it would be a good idea to take an inch off and put a pad on it. In looking the rifle over im sure its been restored. Action color is close, but not quite right. Bolt is also not engine turned with a blued extractor but is numbered to the gun. Bottom metal is also not quite right as it is like the action color. Barrel color looks right, but no wear so I'm wondering.

2nd is a 375. In looking it appears to be a type I/II. As a matter of fact it is exactly 30 digits lower than the one pictured on page 132 of Rules book. Clover leaf tang, however the rear bridge is tapped. It has the correct 25 inch tube, and a solid red pad. However, the rear sight holes have been plugged and its wearing a lyman rear peep. Bore is like new, and the bolt matches. However, like the 257, it is the same, not engine turned and blued extractor. Metal coloring look correct, but I'm questioning it. Both do have SG floorplates. What is most puzzling to me on this one is the stock. It is super clean, not hardly a mark. However, it is not the typical Winchester red. Not sure if it is original and freshened up or what. It looks correct, but the finish is throwing me.

Long story short, I guess I'm just kind of wondering what guys here think as far as value. I know they're not correct enough to be collectors, at least in my opinion, but obviously there's also not a ton out there either so there still is some, even as shooters. I guess I hope folks will chime in, good or bad.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A picture or two of each and you may get some opinions.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I knew that was coming, and I'd really like to, but for whatever reason it won't attach them. I am technologically stupid though.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Try postimage.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I did, it just gave me the crash face.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Winchester did not begin engine-turning bolts and extractors on SG’s until 1954.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ok, so maybe thats correct, were 47 and in the 52 ball park.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I got no problem with posting pics, it just won't let me. Regardless I do know they're still not absolutely correct.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PSH
I did, it just gave me the crash face.

https://postimages.org/

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
I knew that was coming, and I'd really like to, but for whatever reason it won't attach them. I am technologically stupid though.

IMGUR. I look forward to seeing pics. I almost bought a very nice supergrade that also had some issues. It was glass bedded and the barrel floated. Had a trigger shoe installed, but the guy was supposedly the original owner. He said it didn't have the original barrel and that it was sent back to Winchester for the re-barrel. It was chambered in 220 Swift. Guy said he loved shooting it in his younger days, the reason the factory barrel was replaced. He was in his 80's. That was another dumb move on my part for not buying it. At least I could say I knew the history on it even though it was not all original. He wanted $1,000.00 for it and it was a pretty little rifle. This was at one of my favorite small town gunshows about 4 or 5 years ago.. Another guy I know has a supergrade, but it's been messed with. He's a guy I bought my pre 64 300WBY from for $499. Anyway, this supergrade has a damn black diamond in the stock and the guy says it is a "diamond grade" supergrade. If it didn't have the damn diamond in the stock, I would have bought the damn thing. I'm fairly sure he still has it. He acts like its something special and keeps it at his house instead of his gun shop. One thing I do not like about the supergrades is often times its hard to spot a fake and I've been warned that there a many out there. Just something to be mindful of when you are looking at them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Bsa, thanks, and I just tried that to. I've always appreciated you and the help you've given me. I'm not sure if someone can help, but ill email a couple pics too. No one is going to hurt my feelings based on my description, I know that can be hard and makes people hesitant. I'm like that too, got no issues telling what I paid, I guess I was going off of parts value and don't think I got stung bad if I did based on calibers. If I recall, I paid the same for my standard 375 that I did for this.

You prolly shoulda bought the swift, lol. Back then, guns was nothing more than a tool, no different than a hammer. Did what was best at the time, and if the barrel was shot, ya fixed it. You'd have done the same, lol.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
By description the .375 sounds like something I'd want. Have a prewar '06 SG with D&T'd rear bridge. As if I care, since I gave $600 for it. It does 1" for 5 2700 fps 180s at 100 yds, something I do care about.

There is nothing wrong with non-original condition so long as you didn't pay for original condition.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
Bsa, thanks, and I just tried that to. I've always appreciated you and the help you've given me. I'm not sure if someone can help, but ill email a couple pics too. No one is going to hurt my feelings based on my description, I know that can be hard and makes people hesitant. I'm like that too, got no issues telling what I paid, I guess I was going off of parts value and don't think I got stung bad if I did based on calibers. If I recall, I paid the same for my standard 375 that I did for this.

You prolly shoulda bought the swift, lol. Back then, guns was nothing more than a tool, no different than a hammer. Did what was best at the time, and if the barrel was shot, ya fixed it. You'd have done the same, lol.

I sure would have buddy. Your rifles sound really interesting. One thing about them, is they don't make them like that anymore. One thing I should have said is the supergrades have always intrigued me. They are just nice rifles and some are damn beautiful. Even if they are not 100% original, I'd still take one with a recoil pad added over a new BACO. That may just be me though..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sam_H
By description the .375 sounds like something I'd want. Have a prewar '06 SG with D&T'd rear bridge. As if I care, since I gave $600 for it. It does 1" for 5 2700 fps 180s at 100 yds, something I do care about.

There is nothing wrong with non-original condition so long as you didn't pay for original condition.

I agree.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I get it they are shooter Super Grades. Great hunting rifles. How the blue looks would affect me and the value big time. Heck they may be original finish if you post a pic. Or if they are buffed out all to hell and letters blurred we are talking a big hit on value. The 375 being a prewar with an extra hole may have had other things done for scope clearance unless they used a skinny scope from back in the day. Those guns could be from $500 each to $1,500.00 each. That is the best I will say without pics.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by PSH

I sure would have buddy. Your rifles sound really interesting. One thing about them, is they don't make them like that anymore. One thing I should have said is the supergrades have always intrigued me. They are just nice rifles and some are damn beautiful. Even if they are not 100% original, I'd still take one with a recoil pad added over a new BACO. That may just be me though..

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by PSH

Ha, I know ya woulda and I agree, much better

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I get it they are shooter Super Grades. Great hunting rifles. How the blue looks would affect me and the value big time. Heck they may be original finish if you post a pic. Or if they are buffed out all to hell and letters blurred we are talking a big hit on value. The 375 being a prewar with an extra hole may have had other things done for scope clearance unless they used a skinny scope from back in the day. Those guns could be from $500 each to $1,500.00 each. That is the best I will say without pics.

Likely not "$500", as I've seen just H&H actions sell for $1,000.00 by themselves. The H&H receiver is still quite popular.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ak wolverine offered to post pics if I texted them. I left my phone where I got invited to dinner. I'll have it back tomorrow so ill get them to him then if no one can do it via email.

Lettering is not blurred,if refinished they did a decent job. If they were blurred I'd know they were messed with for sure and I'd say it. I dunno, im not into parting things, so I'd never do that, but I guess I looked at them from a parts perspective, and I would think they'd bring it if a guy wanted to. I won't be. I gave 28 for the pair, 15 on the 375, 13 on the roberts. Some had to do with calibers as well. I guess the way I look at it, ill give 5 all day long for any pre 64 as long as its solid, regardless of condition. Its a good donor at that. I'm kind of in the same ballpark with early classics.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
ya, bsa, I know at one time they were averaging about 9. Whether they were still there or not I wasn't sure.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
ya, bsa, I know at one time they were averaging about 9. Whether they were still there or not I wasn't sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.