Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17083044 03/20/22
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Has anyone ever sold a firearm to the Cabela's gun room?

Thinking of taking a couple of rifles there.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don’t expect fair market value. They are in business to make money. It would be my last resort.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll probably do better on here.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them

“John Wayne”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't, local shop would give you more, post em here at 80% of value and they will sell fast as all get put

guns to me are like legal crack
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don’t waste your time. I took my sons 7600 35 whelen carbine there as I was at the range and had it in my truck 2 weeks ago. I figured what the heck let’s see what they would offer me for it. It wears a leupold vx3 hd scope and there is not a mark in the gun anywhere. They were nice enough to offer me $400 for it or $450 trade value. I said you have 30-06 7600’s here that are beat with no scope for $1200. The nice gentleman said do you want the $400 or not. Never will take anything there. I think they prey on people bringing guns that got them from a deceased relative or something.

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Yeah, I took a Weatherby Mark V Fibermark there several years ago. It was in very good condition, and the normal market value at the time was $600-800. And I had seen such guns on Cabela's used gun rack for $800-900.

But Cabela's wanted to give me just $475 for it. I walked right out the door and sold it soon thereafter on Texas Gun Trader for about $650 (if I recall correctly).

Like Bobmar said, don't expect to get anything near market value.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cabela’s would be my last resort.
Their usual markup approaches 100%.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I discussed it with them once. They take some time and research the guns value. I already had a pretty good idea what the true value of my rifle was worth and the price they quoted me was exactly what I had already determined. BUT. They will pay 65% of that value leaving them 35% profit when they resell. I didn't expect to get the full value, I understand that they are in business to make money. But 65% was just too little. Had it been 90% or maybe 85% I might have sold it to them.

But to be fair it really wasn't a bad experience. The guy I dealt with was professional and there was no pressure for me to sell. It was simply a business decision and I didn't want to sell that low.

I have traded with them once. I got closer to 80% of that guns value on trade. And it wasn't an expensive gun, under $300, and it was one that would have been hard for me to sell. I let them have it and made the trade.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I tried once. Don’t remember the numbers but they really low balled the offer. I walked.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you need to move an estate I would buy a great camera and list on Gunbroker with no reserve. You will get market value there. If you good researching then make it a good deal here and it will get catched up.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by elkhunter1945
Has anyone ever sold a firearm to the Cabela's gun room?

Thinking of taking a couple of rifles there.

I'm pretty sure that they pay 60% of fair market value!

They first look in the old fashioned gun Book by Fjested, then they look online and see what the going prices are on average on,
Gun Broker, and GunsInternational.

Good Luck!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This is probably an exception to the rule. Many years ago when the Cabelas Gun Libraries were relatively new, I had my eye on a NIB Colt Diamondback 2.5” 38 sp at the KC Location. Called the location and worked an even trade deal with the GL Manager, Traded a lightly used Win 70 XTR Featherweight 257 Bob with the box even up. Of course that was a long time ago and times have changed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Don’t expect fair market value. They are in business to make money. It would be my last resort.

This ☝🏽

They are a 1/2 step above a Pawn Shop, IMO.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Big NO!! You will do better anywhere else that isn't in business.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Don't. Sell them to your friends for the amount you want.

Better to throw pearls before swine then pour good coffee into the cups of the indifferent.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
I discussed it with them once. They take some time and research the guns value. I already had a pretty good idea what the true value of my rifle was worth and the price they quoted me was exactly what I had already determined. BUT. They will pay 65% of that value leaving them 35% profit when they resell. I didn't expect to get the full value, I understand that they are in business to make money. But 65% was just too little. Had it been 90% or maybe 85% I might have sold it to them.

But to be fair it really wasn't a bad experience. The guy I dealt with was professional and there was no pressure for me to sell. It was simply a business decision and I didn't want to sell that low.

I have traded with them once. I got closer to 80% of that guns value on trade. And it wasn't an expensive gun, under $300, and it was one that would have been hard for me to sell. I let them have it and made the trade.

This seems accurate. I have done it a couple of times. I had a really nice Remington XCR II in .300 wsm that I tried to sell locally for $800 or best offer. I couldnt get a sniff, not even any low offers. I had it advertised on my mewe page and shared to others around Wyoming. Not the largest audience but I sure thought someone would like a nice, good shooting elk rifle. I called Cabelas and they said their offer would be around $650 and that was low, until they had seen it. I thought hey.... my gun is in great shape, I would have taken $700 locally, I might even get that at Cabelas. I got there, and they are as slow as molasses.... A different person looked the gun over and offered me $500. I played him the voicemail of his counterpart offering $650 and the guy said he would honor it and give that price, but some of the rubs on the stock made it less valuable. (plastic stock, have to hold it just right in the light to see what he was even talking about....). I was trading it in on a good priced Remington 700 KS that was unfired. They had previously dropped the price of the KS $50, and when he gave me the offer of $650, said he would lowere the price of the gun I was buying another $50. So I guess.... it depends who you talk to, and who works at the store. Probably depends how much they want inventory too. i was back in the store about 3 weeks later, and they just put the rifle out for sale when I was back... three weeks later! I think they asked $899 for it. It was still there last weekend. It is in the Rapid City Cabelas Gun Library. Some guns that are hard to sell, and you think you will have to lower the price too much to sell locally, you can probably get a decent deal at Cabelas. I guess you can try with an open mind and see what happens, but I think numbers that JMR40 posted in his post that I quoted are pretty realistic.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
they negotiate on the price of the guns in the gun Library, and they negotiate on the trade in.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have bought a few things that were priced crazy low back before BassHo bought them out, but I have always heard lowball stories from people trying to sell.

Post things here. Shipping is not hard or crazy expensive if done right.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
So what are you selling?

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
A browning euro in 30.06 and a Remington 141 35 cal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,604
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.