Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So like many here I’m a proud member of the Loony Bin and got to thinking about what caused such a resurgent & severe affliction. I cheerfully place blame squarely on MuleDeer & his series of rifle related books.

What is your favorite? I thought after the OG GG that it was the best. Soon after, read Gun Gack II and thought he topped the original. Read GG III and was further impressed with the depth of the rabbit hole I found myself exploring. Now, half way into Obsessions of a Rifle Looney, I’m enjoying the story-telling nature of a slightly longer format still related the fundamentals with a perspective driving conclusion to each chapter.

I can’t outright choose a favorite but currently am enjoying Obsessions enough to call it my current pick.

What are your thoughts?

Finally, Thanks to JB for teaching more than I thought I needed to learn.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought two of JB hunting books back around the holidays.

I bought them more for the story telling aspect as I enjoy JB writing style. I was not disappointed, very good reads.

Thanks for this topic Pints.

GOA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What y'all don't know is that his books were written by a ghost writer named "Lena".

Kidding aside, JB is a national treasure. Even an old jaded knowitall fart will learn from his writings.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know everyone likes all the Gun Gack books but I recommend JB’S Rifle troubleshooting and hand loading book.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have seven of his books I think, Obsessions of a Rifle Loony is probably my favorite.

Actually I may only have six, I loaned Gack III to a friend a year or so ago and he shows no signs of giving it back!!!!!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like obsessions of a rifle loony and all of the GG books. They are informative and entertaining.

For sheer joy of reading though, it would be life of the hunt and born to hunt. Those are some of the best collections of hunting stories I've ever read.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much, guys!

Wanted you to know that I'm working on the next book, titled THE LITTLE BOOK OF RIFLE HANDLOADS THAT WORK. It will be a lot smaller and shorter than the GUN GACK books, but will include handloads that have shot well in several rifles of the same chambering over the years. Right now am planning to include 50 cartridges, from the .17 Hornet to .375 H&H. The plan is to have it out this fall.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's good news, MD, I have a copy of one version of your Handloads That Work articles that I've referred to several times.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They are all good, but my personal favorite is "The Life of the Hunt," even though I don't hunt much anymore. I can read and re-read it, and it never goes stale. My favorite story involves a still-hunt for mule deer in the snow on the side of a mountain on Thanksgiving morning, concluding just in time to join a cabin full of friends and family for a holiday meal. It's like a Hallmark holiday movie for hunters, only better. I read it every Thanksgiving.

https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product/the-life-of-the-hunt/

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks very much, guys!

Wanted you to know that I'm working on the next book, titled THE LITTLE BOOK OF RIFLE HANDLOADS THAT WORK. It will be a lot smaller and shorter than the GUN GACK books, but will include handloads that have shot well in several rifles of the same chambering over the years. Right now am planning to include 50 cartridges, from the .17 Hornet to .375 H&H. The plan is to have it out this fall.

Great news!!

Curious - will you be including c&c along with monos in your data? Maybe a dumb question but I’ve got a serious case of Hornady Interlock that just won’t go away. 😜

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve got the original GG but not II or III. I’m going to have to rectify that situation.

John wrote an article in either Rifle or Handloader that had a pic of his .338 and a Ruger .45 Colt. I’d like to see an article on a subject that he doesn’t usually do.......45 Colt. A lot of people have covered that subject but I don’t believe John has and I’d like to see his take on it.

John, sorry to be a PIA.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks very much, guys!

Put me on the list for one when it comes out, please.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great News , on several fronts, not the least of which is the anticipated int’l shipping cost savings for the smaller format. Ha ! Don’t go to too small a font though.

MD : Any chance you could include a chapter or appendix rehash with examples of “The Rules” for extrapolating from say 270 to 280 same pressure and SD ? Ditto for the .30’06 at MAP 65 Kpsi

Loony On !

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
JB,
Please put me on the list for one when it comes out.
Thanks,
David

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave93,

Did an article on handloading the .45 "Long" Colt years ago for, if I recall correctly, GUNS magazine. But it was necessarily brief, due to the word-limit, and so limited to the usual "different .45 Colt revolvers can take vastly different pressures.

I was never much interested in "weak" .45 Colt revolvers, but can send you the loads I still use in my 7-1/2" Blackhawk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Great News , on several fronts, not the least of which is the anticipated int’l shipping cost savings for the smaller format. Ha ! Don’t go to too small a font though.

MD : Any chance you could include a chapter or appendix rehash with examples of “The Rules” for extrapolating from say 270 to 280 same pressure and SD ? Ditto for the .30’06 at MAP 65 Kpsi

Loony On !

Including "The Rules" might be a good idea. But have already put it in TWO of the GUN GACK books, and this is supposed to be a smaller book--which, as you noted, will cost less to ship AND print.....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
To those who asked to be put on the pre-publication notification list. you're there!

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
"Montana Time" and "Western Skies" are both good reads.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sign me up for the new one MD!

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Please add me to the pre-order list. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.