Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Carrying Concealed Guns Without a License

Oregon is an "open carry" state, meaning that most people are allowed to carry firearms openly without a permit. However, carrying a concealed firearm, either on your body or in a vehicle where it's readily accessible, is a Class A misdemeanor unless you:

have a concealed carry license
are a law enforcement officer or military member, or
are hunting or fishing with a license.

What does this 'hunting or fishing with a license' entail? Can you carry a gun in a vehicle as long as you have a fishing license? We're in OR a few times a year and sometimes I have a NR fishing license. Can I keep a gun at hand while we're driving?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I was told when I got my Oregon CHL, that a valid fishing license would work for concealed carry, but that you had to be fishing, or on the way to go fishing or on the way home from fishing.

And, that you had better have a fishing pole in your vehicle.

Hope that helps! Virgil B.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You can have a concealed handgun if:
You have a CHL
You are going fishing, hunting or target shooting. But you need to have the correct gear with you and you can't stop. So no gas or snack stops

Open carry is a just that, strap the ol hogleg on and walk around in pubic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to know the regulations for some Oregon cities and counties too.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
You need to know Oregon regulations for some city and county's too.
For the most part, I'll be at Owyhee Reservoir on a canoeing & fishing trip. You gotta be careful in that country. Racial crime is rampant. All of us insurgent Idahoans who go out there are real troublemakers.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For the most part, I'll be at Owyhee Reservoir on a canoeing & fishing trip. You gotta be careful in that country. Racial crime is rampant. All of us insurgent Idahoans who go out there are real troublemakers.

We were there last week, the water was mostly like glass

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We killed a 4' rattlesnake camping 20 miles up Owyhee Reservoir.

LOL
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

LOL. Maybe a nest of buzztails.

Good luck on the fishing trip. The reservoir is very low. Access to the lake (boatramps) may be limited.

I have not heard anything from lucky crappie fishermen yet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

LOL. Maybe a nest of buzztails.

Good luck on the fishing trip. The reservoir is very low. Access to the lake (boatramps) may be limited.

I have not heard anything from lucky crappie fishermen yet.

Boats were being launched at the state park but levels may not be high enough at Leslie Gulch.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We're looking at a 5 day canoe trip from Leslie Gulch to the State Park in July. It'll be a troop of Trail Life boys from our church. I have a 14' car topper that I hope to take as a backup. I can move it on a canoe cart I have as long as the slope is fairly flat.

― George Orwell

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tcb22
You can have a concealed handgun if:
You have a CHL
You are going fishing, hunting or target shooting.

And the target shooting can’t be at the local gravel pit, it must be a formal shooting range.

Gotta watch individual municipalities though like others have mentioned.

When I choose to open carry, it’s with a chest rig. OWB can be iffy if you have a jacket or shirt tail that covers the gun. It’s then considered concealed.

I feel that’s not such a likelihood with a chest rig. Plus, I backpack a fair bit, and a chest holster is more accessible IMO.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
We're looking at a 5 day canoe trip from Leslie Gulch to the State Park in July. It'll be a troop of Trail Life boys from our church. I have a 14' car topper that I hope to take as a backup. I can move it on a canoe cart I have as long as the slope is fairly flat.

Leslie Gulch is near the top end of slack water when Owyhee is full. The reservoir is at 39% capacity as of today and remaining snow pack is nearly nonexistent.

Irrigators are expecting the reservoir to be empty sometime in July.

I know not if you can expect stream flows in the river sufficient to float a canoe this summer. I will ask tomorrow of one familiar with the river, and get back to you.

None the less, regardless of water levels, Leslie Gulch is a beautiful area, reminiscent of photos I have seen of Southern Utah. Several rewarding days could be spent exploring the region without ever entering the water. At that time, the (usually) submerged town of Watson, five miles upriver from Leslie Gulch should be fully accessable.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rock Chuck,

If you get over to OR with any regularity, even a few times a year, it might be worth looking into a CCW there. Not sure about the closest county to you, but I had no problem getting one in Lake County an hour or so up the road from here. One Saturday class, the required paperwork, and I now have one there.

I was working in WA, where I have a permit also, and traveling through OR and it was a pain to deal with putting things up to get from here to WA.

Just a thought for your future needs?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
West Virginia is a long way from Oregon... but they still have a fairly complex process to carry.

It is a TWO step process...

Step 1... Cross the state line

Step 2... Carry a gun

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This link will give you reservoir information and river flows at Rome which will probably be the same at Leslie Gultch on into the reservoir.

https://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/owytea.html

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.