Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Burning is wasteful, promotes erosion and is unnecessary on pasture land.

So there.

I am MAGA.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 640 acres of CRP in west central Ks. I burned 320 acres of it in late Feb 2021. Four of us did the burn. We each had a four wheeler or truck, shovels and water tanks. We had a 20’ disced fire break around it. We lit back fires to essentially extend the fire break. And we had a mild wind, 5-8 mph.
After the back fire had extended the fire break to 75-100 feet, we went to the up wind side and lit her off. The size and speed of the fire when the wind was pushing it was amazing. After lighting the upwind side the fire raced across the half mile wide property in about 10 minutes. Smoke rose into the sky, I’d guess 500’. We put out a few shouldering spots and we’re having a beer on the tail gate when two police cars roared up. They had multiple reports from 40-60 miles away that there as an out of control grass fire in progress. The police said, “looks like you guys know what you are doing.”
I was to burn off the other half of this 640 acres this spring but the drought had a burn ban in place, so it got mowed and baled.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Never have seen any land that could not be improved by burning, if properly prepared, if there's nothing much growing on pasture land there's nothing to improve by burning. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Beautiful pictures! I can hear it crackle just looking at them. If you ever need an extra have let me know, would love to get experience in a new ao.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Burning is something very rarely done here, no idea if it should be done or not.

Can't imagine being part of some of the burns I see done by some here.
Can't imagine letting acreage burn (and it only burns in the conditions that
easily let it go wild) without having my bunghole sucked halfway up to my throat.

We do some very small burns, very small, and they always make me nervous.

I'm guessing that's how anti gun people would feel if they went to a shooting range. They would think that gunfire could erupt and kill everyone at any moment. All it takes is explaining the process, the safety measures in place and although yes it can be used for bad, the benefits provided far outweigh the bad in the hands of capable people. Fire is the same way, just need to educate the public.

Maybe. But guns are inanimate objects.
Fire is alive. So to speak.

Originally Posted by dale06
I have 640 acres of CRP in west central Ks. I burned 320 acres of it in late Feb 2021. Four of us did the burn. We each had a four wheeler or truck, shovels and water tanks. We had a 20’ disced fire break around it. We lit back fires to essentially extend the fire break. And we had a mild wind, 5-8 mph.
After the back fire had extended the fire break to 75-100 feet, we went to the up wind side and lit her off. The size and speed of the fire when the wind was pushing it was amazing. After lighting the upwind side the fire raced across the half mile wide property in about 10 minutes. Smoke rose into the sky, I’d guess 500’. We put out a few shouldering spots and we’re having a beer on the tail gate when two police cars roared up. They had multiple reports from 40-60 miles away that there as an out of control grass fire in progress. The police said, “looks like you guys know what you are doing.”
I was to burn off the other half of this 640 acres this spring but the drought had a burn ban in place, so it got mowed and baled.

You have to understand, I'm not critical.
Actually impressed at things beyond my skill set.

And interested in how folks like Dale do this.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
should have used tracers. Lots of sheds laying around

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Iowa DNR loves to burn grass, I think the time it to smoke me out planting beans every year. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
DNR has been doing a lot of burns around here

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good work Dale, especially for having fire breaks cut ahead of time! That’s how it’s supposed to be done folks.

The damned government seems to burn a bunch of houses down every few years when they attempt the same with 35 mph winds.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We burn in a checker board pattern, about 400 too 500 acres per burn, with fire breaks, and fire fighting equitment on hand, we use a method called 80-80-20 temp 80 deg. or less humidity 80% wind 20 mph or less, good base line before we start burning, if your butt isn't puckered up when burning you are not doing it right. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fire is alive. So to speak

Well it's a chemical reaction that causes a gun to fire, and fire is a chemical reaction. So we could break it down to that level. Apparently you missed the point I was trying to make completely about the uneducated being needlessly scared of something they don't understand. Sorry for that, I was trying to make a correlation to something I thought you'd understand.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
spent the last few days burning, we usually do it a bit earlier & were running out of time before spring green up.

I got a text from the landowner in front of me asking if we could burn this week; he had already got with the other neighbor that owns about 14 sections next to us...they all wanted to light it up.

we usually try to burn at least 1/3 of the farm every year or a 2-3 year rotation. we'll usually start back-burns first & use roads , green plots, and creeks to contain burn direction, and plow fire brakes as needed.

some pics from the last couple of years:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

============================================================

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Looks like a good burn, Good Job. Rio7

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

during a burn:

same place, a couple months later:

============================================================

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Amazing how a good burn works. Rio7

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
25-30 years ago burning was common. Now with the dry years ,more and more farmers/ranchers around here are baling CRP land when permissible. I bet more than a half of the wildfires around here are from BLM and Forest Service controlled burns that get away from them

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/02/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
“Only you can prevent forest fires”.
That’s probably the worst slogan ever …..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Beautiful pictures! I can hear it crackle just looking at them. If you ever need an extra have let me know, would love to get experience in a new ao.

Burning is something very rarely done here, no idea if it should be done or not.

Can't imagine being part of some of the burns I see done by some here.
Can't imagine letting acreage burn (and it only burns in the conditions that
easily let it go wild) without having my bunghole sucked halfway up to my throat.

We do some very small burns, very small, and they always make me nervous.

I'm guessing that's how anti gun people would feel if they went to a shooting range. They would think that gunfire could erupt and kill everyone at any moment. All it takes is explaining the process, the safety measures in place and although yes it can be used for bad, the benefits provided far outweigh the bad in the hands of capable people. Fire is the same way, just need to educate the public.

Fire is alive. So to speak.

Originally Posted by dale06

You have to understand, I'm not critical.
Actually impressed at things beyond my skill set.

And interested in how folks like Dale do this.

A different Dale jumping in here, one from Pa. Part of the 'fire is bad' mindset here in Pa. comes from the fact that in the past, if you lit a fire and it got away, you were liable. No exceptions for controlled burns, nobody could get any experience, etc. About the only ones doing any burning was the military over at Fort Indiantown Gap, they would burn some of the artillery ranges so they didn't start fires later when they were practicing with the big guns.

That liability law changed a few years back and burns are becoming more common. Pa. Game Commission has been doing some on Gamelands. NRCS has been planning some on CRP ground, I'm not sure if DCNR is doing any or not. I work for NRCS and just had some basic burn training earlier this year. Planning and conducting a burn are quite involved and it takes a lot of experience to get to the higher levels like burn boss or the folks who review burn plans. Our State Office just bought some sets of 'burn clothing' so our folks can actually attend fires and get some hand's on training.

Like any other land management tool, done properly it can help. Done wrong and it can be a cluster.

Dale K

This space for rent

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
The ground we burned is in a land management trust that had a local farmer in charge that did a poor job of managing it. My neighbor took over the job and since it borders mine I helped him. There are cedar trees every 25 feet on part of it that is going to be a pain to deal with

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The last few years, fires in Northern California and Southern Oregon, have shown what happens with excessive fuel. note: If powerlines were underground the last few years fires would have been half! Controlled burns work, wildfires in excessive fuel areas are devastating. The Inlaws lost a house in Greenville Ca. last year. At the same time a fire north of town, burnt an area the size of Rhode Island. When fires are large enough to create their own weather, they get your attention.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like it would do a lot of good to burn the foot of leaves. Most people don't realize the frequency of fire played in prairies and forests. By excluding it for decades or even centuries we've created a nightmare of fuel loading and nutrient interruption that can only be fixed by burning. Fire is a natural process that needs to be incorporated into working lands. The interval most places need is 3-7 years of low intensity fire to maintain. Getting there is tricky but the sooner people realize it's the only way the better. To me the biggest draw back of burning and CRP mid contract management is the exclusion of fire during the nesting season, it cuts an already narrow window for the burn to do the most good. Anyone having an across the board anti fire mentality these days is ignorant. There is so much information out there that shows fire is a necessity and excluding it is only compounding the problem. Like most natural process people have screwed it up by forcing their way and now we have to right it.

I'll get off my soapbox now 😁

You can't get through to the victims of the Smokey Bear and Walt Disney propaganda.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.