Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
Retired Mounted USBP Agent, UPhiker, why do you ask ??? Also spent 5 years as a Special Investigator for Texas Family Protective Services and then just over 12 years turning wrenches on Materials Handling & Heavy Equipment...so none of it UNION TIME...had the option with USBP and with Texas but chose not to join or pay...as a mechanic i was a "Road Dawg"...and worked for 3 big guys and then settled in for 10+ years with a small non-affiliated shop that paid me what I asked for, and kept giving me raises and matched my 401K withholding up to 5% and then 1/2 match for the next 5%...until a big company bought him out...when they wanted to cut my pay and hours...I retired...and turn wrenches out of my truck for myself now.

He asks because he is a Commie Cock sucker.
No, I asked because most police have a union. Of course, if you don't have anything intelligent to say, you instantly regress to what activity you engaged in last night.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Retired Mounted USBP Agent, UPhiker, why do you ask ??? Also spent 5 years as a Special Investigator for Texas Family Protective Services and then just over 12 years turning wrenches on Materials Handling & Heavy Equipment...so none of it UNION TIME...had the option with USBP and with Texas but chose not to join or pay...as a mechanic i was a "Road Dawg"...and worked for 3 big guys and then settled in for 10+ years with a small non-affiliated shop that paid me what I asked for, and kept giving me raises and matched my 401K withholding up to 5% and then 1/2 match for the next 5%...until a big company bought him out...when they wanted to cut my pay and hours...I retired...and turn wrenches out of my truck for myself now.

No, I asked because most police have a union. Of course, if you don't have anything intelligent to say, you instantly regress to what activity you engaged in last night.

My understanding is police unions aren't like the others. i.e. no striking, can't negotiate wages, etc. Merely working conditions. And yes, unions are bad regardless the sector in which they operate, public or private.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Unions got us shorter working days, safer working conditions, but lots of kickbacks, shady deals, all kinds of high dollar gifts to union officials. Sounds like the government we have now.

Yep. My grandfather worked on a bridge construction crew in the pre-union days. He said it was not much fun, and very dangerous.

Later in life, he said unions gained way to much power.

Everything in moderation.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

My understanding is police unions aren't like the others. i.e. no striking, can't negotiate wages, etc. Merely working conditions. And yes, unions are bad regardless the sector in which they operate, public or private.

Aren`t they also effected by the Janus decision the same as other public sector union employees are?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hastings, when did any employer hold a gun to a workers head and say you must work here ??? Since the repeal of slavery, you can get a job that pays what you are willing to work for...if you bring the skill set the employer needs...you can write your own ticket...can't find an employer...hang out a shingle, paint a sign on your van or push a hot dog cart and do it "YOUR WAY" !!!

That sounds great but it isn’t fact. Wages have been in decline for decades. We had upwards of two million illegal aliens flood the county within the last year in addition to the millions all ready here. All with a wink and nod from the Democrat politicians and nearly all of the Republican ones. What do you think those “undocumented workers” are doing for wages? They drive down wages for everyone.

Flooding the labor market with illegal cheap labor while outsourcing as much of the manufacturing base to China enriching and empowering China at our countries expense has been devastating to American security and working class jobs.

I’ve worked union and non union jobs. I currently work non union but have been with the UAW and IBEW in the past. The idea that unions allow the worst workers to thrive held some weight with the UAW it absolutely did not with the IBEW. Generally the best way to avoid seasonal lay offs with the IBEW was to be related to or at least good buds with one of the contractors. Which happens all the time in non union shops too. That only the best get hired or promoted in non union business frequently takes a back seat to who someone knows or is the best BS artist. The old “it’s not what you know but who you know or blow.”

When unions try to wrap themselves in the American flag as the most patriotic thing going that’s over the top but generally speaking unions are good for the typical worker IMO. As we become a country with a small manufacturing base and lose mom and pop shops to huge multinationals that have all of the leverage while outsourcing to China I’m ok with the average American worker taking a few perks or dollars back. As someone else said we’d have a whole lot less working poor on welfare if we didn’t let big conglomerate business outsource the work out of our country, didn’t let illegal labor flood in, and didn’t offer work visas for college grads from India with a college education that cost a fraction of the student debt the typical American has to take on to come here and lower wages for our college grads directly competing against them in Big Tech and other business.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I've expressed this many times over the years and it continues to be a firm belief of mine --- I've yet to see a business / company that provided fair wages, benefits and working schedules, safe as possible working conditions, and treated employees fairly, equally, and with respect, that needed to be concerned with their workforce voting 'yes' for union representation.

Really is as simple as that...

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SCRUBS

Aren`t they also effected by the Janus decision the same as other public sector union employees are?

First, I’m not entirely certain that ‘most’ police departments/officers have Unions. It’s regional and, beyond thay, doesn’t apply to small PDs regardless of where they are. I don’t know the numbers of coppers in a union vs not, so merely an observation.
I won’t speak for everyone, but the union I belonged to, and others in our region, can certainly negotiate wages/benefits.
Yes, Janus applies.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NH K9

First, I’m not entirely certain that ‘most’ police departments/officers have Unions. It’s regional and, beyond thay, doesn’t apply to small PDs regardless of where they are. I don’t know the numbers of coppers in a union vs not, so merely an observation.
I won’t speak for everyone, but the union I belonged to, and others in our region, can certainly negotiate wages/benefits.
Yes, Janus applies.

George

Thank you for answering my question George.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by joken2

I've expressed this many times over the years and it continues to be a firm belief of mine --- I've yet to see a business / company that provided fair wages, benefits and working schedules, safe as possible working conditions, and treated employees fairly, equally, and with respect, that needed to be concerned with their workforce voting 'yes' for union representation.

That's sorta what it comes down to, doesn't it?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
A worthy Union Contract recognizes seniority only as a tie breaker between two equally qualified applicants to a position. It also does not hinder termination for cause.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve belonged to Plumbers Local 68 since 1971........

Good, we have someone willing to spit out their local. Any other takers? We can go over some $$$$...compare a bit. Run the officials $$$ per local, look at their assets....then compare the each locals average wages....IF theyre willing to give those up also. I can bring up some contracts, constitutions and bylaws to compare....... then see what the equivalent non union shops make. Shall we?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Correct

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
not a big fan of unions but companies like amazon are why they existed in the first place. ya capitalism, blah, blah, blah but they are a bunch of greedy bastards.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Great way to state it. Bad employers are what give unions control and influence.

Unions often get corrupt. Kickbacks, extortion, questionable promotions, and bargaining to benefit union leadership are all so widespread that it's just accepted. But, unions often set the wages and benefits for a cohort of workers regardless of if they work union or not, and I've seen plenty who bash unions be too foolish to realize that their non union or managerial job has been positively impacted by what a union group had fought for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starbuck

Great way to state it. Bad employers are what give unions control and influence.

Unions often get corrupt. Kickbacks, extortion, questionable promotions, and bargaining to benefit union leadership are all so widespread that it's just accepted. But, unions often set the wages and benefits for a cohort of workers regardless of if they work union or not, and I've seen plenty who bash unions be too foolish to realize that their non union or managerial job has been positively impacted by what a union group had fought for.

Folks like to kick unions....but never take a look at CEO's of non union entities. I can pull up a local CEO that made 120k salary, 2.5million in bonus 1, 1.75 in bonus 2, and 4.8 in bonus 3. Fact! Just one CEO. I can pull up every union local in the area and not one official comes close.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sometimes you get a glimpse into why America is where it's at today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick

Anyone wanna take a guess what the 7 officials of Hanco's local made 2020-21? Public knowledge...anyone? Wild guess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Anyone wanna take a guess what the 7 officials of Hanco's local made 2020-21? Public knowledge...anyone? Wild guess.

Come now...Lets play how bad the union rips off the little guy? Hmm....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Amazon union thing pretty much stemmed from a supposedly wrongful discharge with a suit being filed and with reinstatement the guy started lobbying his fellow workers for a Union vote which happened with a 55% majority for forming an independent union.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok ok...no one wants to play. Ill just spit it out...... BAD BAD UNION.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Look at that! BIG BUCKS!!! The union is fückin the little guy!!!!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (17CalFan, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,962
Posts18,499,194
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.