-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FL FWC burns the living snot out of everything way more than anywhere else I've seen. I'm not a fan of smoke any more than anyone else but it makes for very nice wild areas.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by blanket
The ground we burned is in a land management trust that had a local farmer in charge that did a poor job of managing it. My neighbor took over the job and since it borders mine I helped him. There are cedar trees every 25 feet on part of it that is going to be a pain to deal with

i'll usually spend a day or so after burns making plans for the next years hunts, nosing around for sheds, etc....we see a lot of dead cedars; those that dont go up in a fireball still die if the flames touch the tree base much, then they most definitely get toasted on the next burn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

driving around checking fire lines progress

============================================================

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Heym06
The last few years, fires in Northern California and Southern Oregon, have shown what happens with excessive fuel. note: If powerlines were underground the last few years fires would have been half! Controlled burns work, wildfires in excessive fuel areas are devastating. The Inlaws lost a house in Greenville Ca. last year. At the same time a fire north of town, burnt an area the size of Rhode Island. When fires are large enough to create their own weather, they get your attention.

great post.. because this can't be said enough

I'm from the east coast... been out here for 27 years...

the fires I've seen in Southern Oregon and northern CA over the years has been ridiculous... but the last 5 years or so, has been even worse...

its not conditions in my humble opinion... its mismanagement...via Forest Service...

Cal Fire and ODF, are the agencies who keep it from being much worse...

My hat is off to Cal Fire and ODF....and the people who work for them...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
What does burning do to the quail? We found tons of birds in the CRP in the Coleman, Runnels, and surrounding counties in north Texas when I had dogs.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I just burn the waste places around here , along field edges etc. It does a good job helping me eradicate thistle and a few other obnoxious weeds.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

hanco, We have found burning helps improve our Quail, cleans up the under growth, and woody trash on the ground, promotes new growth, many native seeds do not germinate until burned, Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the long run it helps them, some may have to renest if the burn happens during nesting season. They have flourished since the dawn of time with fire, so I think they'll be ok.
Originally Posted by hanco
What does burning do to the quail? We found tons of birds in the CRP in the Coleman, Runnels, and surrounding counties in north Texas when I had dogs.

A lot of people don't realize that fire is a very natural process that every living thing is adapted to live with, take it away and you mess up the natural order of things, which is why we have woody encroachment in prairies, invasive plant concerns, fuel loading and declining habitats. They need fire! Just as much as they need rain albeit less frequently.

I love the pictures! Great to see so many here doing so much good. I love to see the rejuvenation after it rains, so much life comes from the ashes.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

We see Quail picking around in the black ashes while there's some trash wood and grass still smoking, they fly out in front of the flames and return when the flame passes, that's our reason for burning in a checker board pattern, it gives them some place safe to go./ Rio7

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by RIO7

We see Quail picking around in the black ashes while there's some trash wood and grass still smoking, they fly out in front of the flames and return when the flame passes, that's our reason for burning in a checker board pattern, it gives them some place safe to go./ Rio7

That makes sense, had pointers for 30 yrs, hunted all over Texas. I miss the hunting, but was done when an old dog I had died. I went back to deer hunting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

hanco, It's tough to hunt Quail with out good dogs, lost the best dog i ever owned last November, i was damn near helpless this season without her. Rio7

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (270cowboy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.