Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I went to the Tulsa show and primer prices were crazy, $150-175 per 1000. I know that I saw a lot of old primers in older boxes marked at that price so I know they were not new stock. Saw old jugs (some in not ever the original jugs) of powder as well, but marked up to today prices and then some. I just walked on by but some were buying at those crazy prices.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
HR IC

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
That's nuts... even with shipping and hazmat I paid less per brick than that last week. I picked up some from PV, and one from Natchez, and they were $100-120 a pop after shipping and hazmat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should have told them to use them all as suppositories

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wouldn’t pay that if there was another option but if it meant not being able to load and shoot I’d probably pony up and buy a brick. Sometimes we have to weigh our priorities, thankfully I’m far from being in that boat.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have not seen a box of large rifle primers at any of my LGS in close to two years, I and check often....Maybe someday we will once again be able to buy reloading supplies that are readily available but those days feel like they are long gone and never to be seen again in my part of the country.....Good luck...Hb

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Saw some powder locally a week or so ago. Not a huge variety, but priced within reason, and there was probably something for most purposes. Guy said they get primers in here and there, and folks have been good about not scarfing them all up.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If there's ever any bargains at a gun show another dealer already grabbed them the Tulsa gun show is even a better example of this because of Friday

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fake shortages. The old excuse of new firearms owners buying ammo doesn't hold water. These shortages are here because supplies are no longer made domestically like powder and other components. What happened is mergers and consolidation. We need more competition

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Fake shortages. The old excuse of new firearms owners buying ammo doesn't hold water. These shortages are here because supplies are no longer made domestically like powder and other components. What happened is mergers and consolidation. We need more competition

Every shortage I’ve seen this century has been due to panic buying. This particular one was probably worsened by Covid shutdowns around the world, as well as the US. I’ve never heard anyone say that new gun owners were the cause. More competition, and increased supply would be nice. Right now though, I’m convinced STUPID gun owners, which are the cause here, would buy it all up as well. I mean there are obviously some willing to pay $150 - $175 per 1000 for primers so I’m sure they’d be happy to pay $250 for 2000.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Talked to a factory guy over in Idaho, on something else.. but I asked him about primers and lack of availability.. this is Speer... they are under TDK's Flag, like Alliant in Radford Va, Federal in Minnesota etc.

He told me he didn't really know what is going on with primers...Where they are going...

but he told me over in Idaho they are going full blast on their manufacture of them, and have been for quite a while...

once again, just like under Obama.... plenty are being made, but there are created shortages, and the public is just in panic mode at the drop of a hat...

Chicken Little syndrome....and we are suppose to be an educated society...

I don't know about you guys, but I feel I live in a nation of idiots anymore...

The government tells us anything and we are somehow suppose to believe it... or people just are programmed in our society anymore to just panic over anything at all..

like the Great Toilet paper shortage of last year for example....

if there is a logistic problem with something somewhere, evidently its not hard to manipulate.. because people will believe whatever they are told... hoard and pay sky high prices.....

Like people are doing with primers... I'm shooting primers I bought for $15 a brick with Trump in office.. for 4 years...

bought a bunch of bricks of them not long ago, when CCI's were dropped to $20 a brick at Sportsman's Warehouse...

heck, I'll start a panic buy right now...

Did you guys hear there is a beer shortage coming soon? All the hops in China had crop failure.. there is going to be a world beer shortage within the next 90 days..

you heard it first, right here on the campfire... better stock up NOW!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m glad I have enough to last a good while.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Primers are becoming available but the $35 a thousand prices are long gone. I was there at Tulsa and seen the high dollar powder and primers and they wasn’t selling. There was a guy that had pistol powder and some US 869 powder for $38 a lb and he couldn’t get it sold.

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was coming home from the Tulsa show and driving by the Remington plant in Arkansas on Sunday, they were working then

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m glad I have enough to last a good while.

Likely the rest of my life here. I gave 400 LRM primers to a forum member at the annual hog hunt last month.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I have enough powder/primers for a long time

I would never buy an open bottle of powder that has been repackaged

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I have enough powder/primers for a long time

I would never buy an open bottle of powder that has been repackaged

What could go wrong?😱

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

You need better sources. It has been proven the components are being produced, they just haven’t caught up with the demand. There isn’t a business in the world that would create a fake shortage so they wouldn’t produce a product that they could manufacture and make money on.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
Do not attend gun shows anymore. All inflated prices and lots of junk. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some primers down there. $80/1,000. Prices mostly were a lot more. The best deals were along the North wall on the upper level. (My tables whistle).
Most prices were all over the map. I had a 1990 era 700 ADL 270 (in great condition) for sale at $600. Most 700’s were over $1,000.
I saw Smith and Wesson Model 28’s from $600 to $2,000.
I saw Marlin 30-30 one table close to $2,000 a couple tables down - same quality same gun for $600.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/05/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Do not attend gun shows anymore. All inflated prices and lots of junk. MTG

Haven’t been to a show in 25 years. Too far to drive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1_deuce, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,807
Posts18,516,344
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.