Print Thread
Hop To
J
JBodine Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a 1919 250-3000 takedown that is in very good condition but unfortunately the buttstock has a very noticeable but solid repair of a major break. Would d&t for a scope be ill advised considering a new stock could smarten it up? I tried to post pics but couldn’t figure it out. Can I post pics from an iPhone?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Condsidered a Lightfoot mount rather than D&Ting it?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Absolutely use a Lightfoot mount. I consider these to be the very best of the best for mounting.

J
JBodine Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ok I’m definitely interested in the Lightfoot mount and for other rifles as well.
How would a 1919 t/d 250-3000 compare in value to a 1919 H t/d in similar condition?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Since you are leaning toward a Lightfoot mount, I won't repeat that. I have a 1919 250 in pretty high condition, and I think it is one of the most beautiful rifles I own. Since some one else did a cheesy repair, I can't comment till I see it. I've seen some of the stock work done here, and unless the break was pointed out, you couldn't tell. Not a little tang crack, but two pieces break. I think that having a checkered pistol grip makes it a little easier to hide the break. Hold your breath till you can get pics of the break up. If the fixed stock is in good enough shape to use as a blank, I'd have a duplicate made, rather than a generic pre cut semi fitted. Since I don't do wood work, and the rifle sounds like it's pretty nice, I'd pay to have a new one made.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Since some one else did a cheesy repair, I can't comment till I see it. I've seen some of the stock work done here, and unless the break was pointed out, you couldn't tell. Not a little tang crack, but two pieces break.

Previous repairs suck. I'd rather have a virgin break.

LOL
J
JBodine Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks Joe. I never thought of a duplicate. That would give fit and ability to wood match. I thought I might find one with fit but not wood match or other way around.
I’ll try to post pics but I don’t have much patience. I’ve got photos in new image gallery but can’t do anything with it. Do I need to be on computer vs iPhone?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JBodine
Thanks Joe. I never thought of a duplicate. That would give fit and ability to wood match. I thought I might find one with fit but not wood match or other way around.
I’ll try to post pics but I don’t have much patience. I’ve got photos in new image gallery but can’t do anything with it. Do I need to be on computer vs iPhone?

I wouldn't be so sure about duplicated stocks. I've never seen one more than "sorta close" but the inletting is usually okay and only takes an hour-ish of work, in my experience more than a used stock. Then you'll need to sand the rest of the duplicate stock to profile. If you're not good with shaping wood the tear drop shape on the panels can take a very long time to get right. I used duplicates before I started learning how to make them from solid wood. I still do use duplicates to practice certain things and because the wood is cheaper than I can find it for.

Anyway I'm not trying to talk you out of it, or suggest you can't do it ( you can ) but relating my experience with them. Unless there is a place I'm not aware of that can duplicate the stock almost exactly including profile, butt plate fitting and inletting. I would really like to check one out if they exist. Most of the prices I see for having one duplicated by a artisan(human) stockmaker are about the same prices as a 99 in good shape with decent wood. Again, I'm not saying these places don't exist but I haven't run into them in my searching. If I'm wrong someone please let me know.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 18,480 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,843
Posts18,537,352
Members74,050
Most Online20,286
17 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.