Hop To
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
as opposed to sharp point broadheads.

I've read they penetrate better, and have no way to refute this. In fact, I believed it.

However, I did a test on a peice of hide between a chisel point and a sharp point. You should try it, if you're not convinced.

The sharp point took a LOT less effort to penetrate. And I mean a LOT less...the difference was stark and apparent.

The argument against a sharp point is that they hit a bone and break, but most of them now are built up, so I don't see that happening.

I shoot traditional, and the sharp point is my choice. Fred Bear's Razorhead at one time was a sharp point, then went to a chisel point, probably because the steel was soft. I still have some sharp-point AND chisel point Razorheads.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Was your test done in slow motion - just pushing the point through or was it done at real speed - 250+ fps on an arrow? I'm sure it would be hard to push any bullet through the hide at slow speed. Not trying to be a smart azz but the dynamics of the moving projectile is a whole 'nother can of worms.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Not thinking you're a smartazz, it's a legit question. But not a legit comparison, because two separate forces are involved. A bullet is travelling at 60 times the speed of an arrow, and doesn't depend on a sharp edge for penetration.

I think, surmise, and guess that the slower the missle, the more advantage you have with a sharp point. If you could move an arrow at 2400 fps, don't think it would matter much if the tip was chisel or sharp pointed.

I would be foolish to argue with success, as many chisel-tip broadheads apparently work great. But it's something to think about.

By the way, I've never had a bow that would shoot 200 fps, much less 250 fps! Wish I had!

Last edited by Gene L; 09/28/07.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use sharp-point single blades when hunting with traditional bows and chisel points when using cams. I don't get enough penetration with four-blade heads and chisel points with traditionals.

Jaywalker

G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My buddy uses 3-blade Snuffers with his 50# recurve bow and gets full penetration. I think it's a sharp pointed head.

Bear razorheads, the old green-painted ones for wooden arrows, are really soft, which I suppose is why they went to a chisel point later on.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gene

You hit the nail on the head- when bone is encountered a chisel will blow right through it, cut on impact dont seem to penetrate bone as well. Any modern compound bow will zip a chisel point right through a deer but i think a traditional needs the cutting ability to penetrate well.

Even the newer cut on impacts cant compare to a chisel when bones come into play, but not all broad heads are created equal. The slick tricks have a small chisel with the blades right behind it. Muzzy's have a huge chisel with the blades mounted further behind, but both seem to work well.

I would say that traditional guys have to stick with cut on impact and as a compound hunter i will stick with slick tricks, just dont trust mechanicals( a whole different post) any more.To each their own as long as they work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,643
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.