Print Thread
Hop To
C
Chet Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Can anyone tell me how these two tipis stack up against one another? I've been looking at a Kifaru 8 man for a while, but the TI Goat Vertex 8 is lighter and could be combined with their cylinder stove for a spacious 2 man shelter or liveable 4 man shelter, all for under 8 lbs. total, or go with the large TI stove for a total weight still under 10 lbs. Any information, input, experience would be helpful. Thanks.

GB1

C
Chet Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Maybe I'm being too specific. Does anyone have any experience with the TI Goat tents, whether the Vertex 8 or another one? A comparison to a Kifaru tent would be helpful, but not necessary. A quality product is a quality product...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a TIGoat tipi. It is very well made and rugged. Quality is as good as the kifaru , which I have also owned , in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend that owns a TiGoat, he loves that thing, that was until a black bear tore it to shreds on a sheep hunt last year. So much for the Titanium goat..... grin

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a Vertex 5 and it is exactlly what I wanted in a light tent. There are some pic's of it on here if you do a search. I do not have any exp. w/ Kifaru but if this is the style you are looking for either one will do you proud.--Allen--

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
""Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
- DEAN WORMER (John Vernon) in National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)"" grin crazy

Sorry but just had to say -that's funny-

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
""Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
- DEAN WORMER (John Vernon) in National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)"" grin crazy

Sorry but just had to say -that's funny-akmtnhntr !!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Chet Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks. I fumbled around and found some other discussions comparing the two company's products. Looks like each has it's advantages and disadvantages, although neither's set of disadvantages should really be classified as such. I'm sure I'll be happy either way. Now, just gotta decide what it is that I really want...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Here's how I solved it. I got the TiG 6.5UL with cylinder stove, all up it's 5 lb and a couple oz. I'd recommend the UL carbon pole option, it's sweet. I used this for two weeks this year solo. Then I've also got the 12 man Kifaru and 4 Dog titanium Ultralight stove. It totals 16 lb; awesome kit. I had a Kifaru 8 man. I think if I were going 8 man, I'd get the Kifaru because it has double zips and I like the fabric and cut just a little better. If you're shaving oz though, go TiG. I would expect draw problem from the cylinder stove pipe if it's sufficient length for the 8 man as I had that on my 8' pipe on the cylinder stove (longer than needed for TiG 6.5; I'd suggest the box stove. I'm going to post some pics soon of my recent trip.

C
Chet Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks Believer. That information is really helpful. It's good to know about the draft problem. So if I was to go with an 8 man, then a Ti Goat large stove would work well with it...? How about their small stove with the 6.5" stove pipe? Since the majority of uses will be just my wife and I, weight is a real issue, but space and comfort are important, as it will encourage her to stay out longer. I also want to be able to cram in four people if need be. Thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Chet, you'll have to get about 10' of stove pipe for the 8 man Kifaru; 6 1/2' won't make it out the top. You could get TiG's small or large box stove, then get the right amount of pipe. TiG will provide any length you want. The Kifaru stove is good kit too but heavier. If it were me, and I wanted a collapsible stove for an 8 man, I'd get the large TiG stove and sure I had 1 1/2'to 2' of pipe above the top of the tipi. With the titanium pipe, you're not penalized on weight too much to get a little extra. The extra length will cut down on ember burns to the tipi, which is common.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I second the longer stove pipe. I only own Kifaru tipis but have never heard much of anything bad about the Ti-goat. One pro of the Kifaru is the two doors for cross ventilation. Also the tipi has tie-offs to pitch off the ground a bit for warmer weather. The Kifaru has an optional liner that solves any condensation issues and reduces drafts considerably as the liner goes all the way to the ground.

Here is the liner. As you can see it covers any gaps in the tipi and the dead air zone acts a bit like insulation when the stove is running. Adds about 10 more degrees.

[Linked Image]

As for the Ti-goat I don't have one but like the new stove jack system.

C
Chet Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
All of this information is really helpful. I appreciate it very much. Does anyone know if it's possible to have a liner made for the TI Goat tipis? Also, is it possible to reduce the risk of ember burns on the tipi by reconfiguring the stove pipe? Say be taking it out at an angle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The liner works on the Kifaru tipi as there are tie off for the clothes line and a bunch of extra tie offs for extreme wind and for raising the shelter a bit off the ground. I think huskyrunner was working on something and has a Ti-goat and a Kifaru 8-man. But have not seen him on this form for the last few months.

As for burning embers I use that crazy looking thing on the top of my homemade stove. A Stack robber, Damper and two spark arrestors screens in the Kifaru collar have made the stove nearly spark proof. Also avoiding problem fuels is a big help. Don't burn 2x4's. I tend to burn Maple, Oak and Black Birch. These fuels tend to toss very little in the way of sparks. They burn longer too.

Here is how the liner attaches on the top.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and bottom

[Linked Image]

The door ties closed but I need some plastic hooks.

[Linked Image]

Bingo. One Kifaru tipi with liner.

[Linked Image]

The liner goes on for winter. Sometimes I use it in fall but tend to just pack the tipi.

C
Chet Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
During the winter, does running the stove in the tent help reduce the condensation problems? It seems like the dry heat from the stove would really cut down on the condensation problems.

As far as fuel goes, I'll be hunting the Colorado mountains, so I'm sure I'l be burning pine and spruce pretty much exclusively. Not my ideal firewood. Some hickory or oak would be a lot better...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes the stove helps. The condensation tends to be at the level of the stove when running but after the stove dies down if conditions are right it will develop condensation. The liner eliminates this problem as the water passes though the liner and can't drip down. Also the liner is warm and often dry. But for me the liner is more about heating and draft control. That is why it is used more for real cold weather. Sometimes in fall too but only if the forecast calls for it. It is the optional liner and two doors that sold the Kifaru over the Ti-Goat for me. The liner makes the tipi better in every way but at the cost of more weight and added pack size. Not a great deal more but some guys count every oz.But the Ti-goat has some features I wish the Kifaru had like the new stove port system and the added vents. The Kifaru can open a window in the door. There are two lines with adjustment things for this but in heavy rain/snow this means water can drip though. Often I am sleeping across from the door. I could just sleep sideways to avoid any issues. But the protected vent of the Ti-goat is nice. Both companies seem real good. Patrick Smith is a great guy that I have camped with. The Ti-goat guys have always answered my emails and provided good customer service. It is really up to the user on what tipi is best. I did get one of their DWR bag liners and some stove stuff. No problems on the order. Got tons of gear from Kifaru as the gear was made for hunters by hunters. They know what works by spending time in the field. Thinking you will just have to mill over the two tipis and make up your mind. No right or wrong answer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,059
Posts18,521,394
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.