Print Thread
Hop To
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
been frustrated at times as of late with the fire, but recent acquisitions sent me to the vault. Tucked some thing way to the back the back that I didn't want to be tempted to part with. It was good to see a bunch of old friends. I've picked up model 70s when I see them, in price ranges I can afford, probably cheap by today's stsndards. Always had a love for the old [bleep] I guess. Not a 243 fan, but good to see them. Searched for a 270 featherweight for some time before I found one I could afford. The guy in front of me should not have put the 06 twin down and said, ill look around and be back! Bought it too just to bundle a deal. Its good to have friends who'll lend ya money cause you don't have enough, lol. Wife was pissed, you went to the bank of mick? He got his ass chewed but was a damned good sport. Poorly refinished hornet but makes gophers go splat, lol, one of my favorites. Hornet chambered to a triple dunce, another one. Wears a mcmillan and shoots 52 grain speer HPs well. Roberts,375, 338, 300 win. Etc, haven't shot or messed with them in years, good to see them again. Then it came to the old 300 H&H. Bought that rifle from the original owner. He was proud, but rightfully so, just cool. I bought that gun from him, im sure I paid too much, but, I've made it up on others. The year I bought it, I hunted it. Sister inlaw had a coveted elk tag. We hunted like hell. First time out took the horses and I had a good horse that didn't like to be tied. Threw my saddle on, stuffed that rifle in the scabbard and was fixing to bridle him when he went to pulling. Lead rope broke, he went over backwards, and naturally lit right on top of that rifle!!! All I could think is, im gonna shoot that [bleep] horse right here. Knocked himself plumb out. While he was down I kicked the cinch loose and when he came to and tstood up, I found that rifle intact. Needless to say, that horse went like no tomorrow, bleedin or not, but that rifle is always gonna hold a soft spot for me. I'm thinking it needs hunted this year. Good to have the memories old guns bring.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool stories PSH. Thanks for sharing. I have a few I can tell as well. Some about friends that have more money than I did at the time as well. I remember one time when my buddy Mark and I went to a military arms collector gun show in Portland. Those are about the best ones any more when they put them on. Anyway, I came across a mint Winchester model 75 sporter. Something I have been wanting for a long time. Damn near bought it for $600, but had to walk away from it at the time because a gentleman came in with an old Winchester model 71 that was speaking to me. From the looks of it, it could tell stories all day long. Its the one I sold to Gunner here:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Well, my buddy Mark is a bad influence on me since he has a 1951 standard grade m71 and I knew I had wanted one of those as well and this 1937 m71 was too good of a deal to pass up. I bought it and then my buddy Mark says, are you going to go and buy that m75 sporter you were drooling over? I said, I'm out of money, only took a $1,000.00 with me and set the budget at that for the show. He said, "you know I always have money you can borrow". I thought about it and said sure, lets go and get it. When I got to the table there was a guy holding it and handing money over!!! I figured I did well enough on the m71, but still kick myself in the azz over being 5 minutes too late on the deal for the mint model 75 sporter. On the way out I bought a Winchester red book of values and looked both rifles up and was quite surprised at the values listed. My buddy Mark has also been a good influence and his motto is, "there will always be another one"... He hasn't been wrong so far. As far as sharing stories about some rifles I've found, I've done that here as well, but some probably call bs. Like I always say, there are many good deals out there, you just got to look for them. I was at a pawn/gunshop the other day and was looking at a pre war 30-06. They were wanting far too much money for it because it was not original. Had a crappy recoil pad installed probably about 40 years ago from the looks of it and that really killed the value. The store manager picked my brain a bit and I was glad to fill him in on my thoughts. He showed me some rifles he had on gunbroker and said one sold for $2,700.00 and it was a "standard 270", according to him. He asked why I thought it sold for so much. I looked at the pictures on his computer screen and said it is a short rifle (carbine) pre war, they only made them for something like 10 years, so it's a rare one. He said, "how could you tell it had a short barrel from the pictures and how old it was?". I said, "it is pretty easy to tell the difference, the standard rifle's have 24" barrels and it's a pre war carbine, basically made up until 1947". He said, "damn you are good". The one he showed me was pretty sweet and appeared to be all original from the pics. There are so many cool rifles you run across when you are out and about, or even when you open that gun safe you haven't opened in years. Its like finding new treasures all over again.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Cool stories PSH. Thanks for sharing.

Thats what its all about at he end of the day bsa.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH

That and good friends and family buddy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by PSH

That and good friends and family buddy..

Indeed!!

IC B2

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
lmao, true stories bsa. Love the 71. Always dreamed of killing an elk author a lever gun. Always figured its be a 45 70, but nope, my browning 71 carbine 348. Drt!!! Now, just with a handgun. Funny 5hing about mick is he's at all the shows, if I needed a stake cause I didn't have enough, I dont even worry about asking him. Hes done it twice, and never batted an eye. Course he knows where I live, lol. But, he also knows the passion.

Yes, there is always another one, thats usually where I am, waiting for the next one, lmao. I'm still waiting on a 264 fwt, lol.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good stories!!!! Thanks

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Its fun, ,ike bsa, the 75 interested me too. Dad had a 77 clip fed as I recall. He swore by that rifle, and rightfully so. The memories are as much fun as the guns. I've got guns that I wish could talk, oh the stories. The old wore out 1890 22 short I carried the day dad and I went rabbit hunting at 10 below is still in my head when he went through the ice on the creek, lmao. Only a 1/4 mile from home but a cold one for him. I laughed a,l the way, but that rifle will always mean something to me. You couldn't hit a bull in the butt with it, lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first pre-64 70, I went with a friend on a road trip to his GF house, we were talking guns with her and her roommate, the roomie says "I've been trying to sell Dads' old deer rifle, had it in 2 yard sales and nobody even looks at it." She brought out a '62 '06 and an ammo box of handloads. She wanted $250, I gave her $400 and told her she was getting robbed.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Lol, yup happens

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (29aholic, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 45_100, 406_SBC, 25 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.