Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by comerade
I have had them on several rifles a couple of take down Browning BLR's and a 1895 Remlin
They are excellent on the BLR's, I find it even improves the accuracy and holds poi better.
You can also bore sight the rifle., if you choose.

By saying that it improves accuracy and holds poi better, are you referring to barrel mounted scope vs receiver mounted scope on a TD rifle?

Yes, and I found it is best to shoot off the reciever.
There is pressure point in the barrel channel, I have replaced this with a more uniform epoxy ( bedding compound) point. I have also removed it entirely.
It is best to shoot any levergun off the receiver like this anyways

I was heavy into levers for a time. Had them from most brands and in many configurations that were offered. Still have around a dozen of various ilks and calibers.

I never went through with leaving a scout scope mounted to a barrel. Tried a couple, but I felt it was a downgrade over a receiver mounted scope, red dot, or just a ghost ring rear and fiber optic front sight. As such, I used a lot of levers with receiver mounted scopes, and I wouldn't necessarily agree with the assertion that it's better to shoot any lever gun with the scope off the receiver. I've shot a lot of good groups with receiver mounted scopes, and I haven't experienced poi shifts that weren't related to scope failures.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cooper lived in AZ and Hunterdon Africa. When the sun comes up it's up.
I'm in the south where there's a canopy of trees. Deer move at dusk and dawn mostly.
This said, scout scopes don't offer much in the way of light gathering. Your cutting your chances.
A decent 2-7 would suffice.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It's an awful idea. Stock fit, scope height are way more important for quick acquisition.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've got a Burris 2.75x on my pseudoscout M70 Stainless Classic, Took it to Col. Cooper's rifle class at Whittington and broke one starightaway clay bird. Another guy with a lot more shooting experience than me used a Steyr Scout and broke three. Haven't had an opportunity to hunt with it.

I've got the right-handed, left-eye dominant problem as well and am always fighting the tendency to close my left eye. Has anyone found the problem easier to cope with using an LPVO?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Joe
I'm considering putting a Scout scope on my BLR T/D. My shots are in the thickets and I don't have much time to decide on whether I want to take the shot or not. I have never hunted with that type of scope and would like any information, pro or con. Thanks

I went deep into the Scout concept about 20 years ago, to include exchanging letters with Jeff Cooper and Finn Aagaard about it. I had a pseudo Scout built in 30-06 and hunted exclusively with it for several years in the jungle-covered tree farms in the Pacific Northwest, where it’s gloomy, foggy, and wet during deer and elk season.

As I was glassing across a draw on one rainy Opening Morning, I could barely see the heads and shoulders of three or four blacktails as they moved through the mist a couple of hundred yards away. With 8x binoculars, I could see antlers on one. When I switched to my 2.75x Scout scope, I couldn’t see the antlers. I switched back and forth between the rifle and the binos until the deer faded back into the brush.

I sold the Scout after eating tag soup that year. These days I use a short, light 308 with a conventionally mounted scope.

Cooper wrote a lot about sights with no magnification, which is basically what you get with a red-dot sight like a Trijicon RMR. I think that would be a much better bet these days.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
As others have mentioned, downbore scopes don't work too well in low light, which unfortunately is when hunting is often best. That was my experience on a hog hunt near sundown, i.e., I couldn't get a bead on a 70-yard hog that was clearly visible to my naked eye but too dim to see in a 2x scope on my .454 pistol. I haven't used a scout scope since.

Last edited by Wyodogger; 04/10/22. Reason: typo
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I tried very hard on several different scout rifles to like the Scout Scope concept. It never felt right and for me, I just could not get used to it after years of trying. Bottom-line for me it was cumbersome.

In my travels, most people who drank the kool-aide revert back to the conventional scope.

But it does work, and it does solve certain problems, so I suspect there will always be a following.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’ve run a scout rifle for thirty years or so. Leupold scout scope held zero for all those years. Rough use bouncing around Wyoming on four wheelers and Jeep. Easy to use and fast. The sunset thing in my testing is BS. Never did I not take a shot because of the low power or the sun washing out.
I’m too tall for conventional mounted scopes on bolt action rifles so the scout works very well for me.

Last edited by frank500; 04/10/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
A red dot in a scout scope position out ahead of the action is pretty neat.

As far as magnification, I have not seen the benefit, unless the configuration of the gun precluded a cheek weld/scope mounted in the traditional position.

What he said.

As far as I'm concerned and for my purposes scout scopes are useless, maybe less than useless. The sight picture is so far away and small that I just as well use a peep or conventional irons.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Originally Posted by Biebs
I have no use for scout-mounted scopes. I'd rather use a ghost ring or low-power conventional scope.

^^^^This^^^ I have a nice Burris scout scope that I had mounted on an XS rail on my Marlin 336Y in .307 Win. Just couldn't warm up to it. It seemed to take too long to get it on target...and I did practice. Went back to a Leupold low power variable on QD mounts. If I need to go to the XS ghost ring peep with the Patridge front blade, I can pull the scope in .30 seconds.

I concur

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To each their own , I suppose.
It also depends on hunting conditions and expections.
I found the Burris 2 x 7 works well for me on my BLR TD/ .270 wcf.
Besides being a takedown, it obviously has a 2 piece stock and a barrel ring.and a epoxy pressure point in the barrel channel.
There is various points of contact between the barrel and other things to affect barrel harmonics.
The L.E.R scope lessens these affects and keeping upward pressure off the barrel by shooting off the reciever helps me.
My view of things.
Leverguns are wonderful things, imo. box or tube magazine, so are some of the Single shot rifes out there.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Made me a redneck scout rifle back in the early 90s. Used a 1912 Chilean rifle in 7X57, modified the rear sight base and attached a Weaver base to it. Mounted a 2X pistol scope with a large dot reticle. It worked perfectly shooting moving deer in the thick stuff on our midday walk drives. I killed 7 deer with it, all one-shot kills using the 175 gr Hornady RN bullet. All I needed to do was to put that large dot over the chest cavity and pull the trigger!

I never stopped using other rifles with conventional scopes and never really saw any difference in effectiveness between the two styles. The scout rifle eventually got used less and less, especially after we stopped having the walk drives very often. I let a young man have it several years ago. Figured it was too neat a rifle not to be used and he wanted to use it.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Probably no point chiming in, as this seems like a pretty polarizing topic, but I'm going to do so anyway. Have had a Burris 2 3/4x Scout on a Marlin 1895 and I currently have a Ruger GSR with a Leupold VX-II 1.5-4 Scout (rides pretty far back for a true scout scope) on it. It is a pretty slick set up, and the big feature that I like is the ability to keep back-up aperture sights in place. If this is not a gain for you, then there is limited value given newer 1-8 and similar powered optics. The GSR is my back up hunting/go to Canada/politically correct rifle for all sorts of things and the scout style scope fits in very well for that purpose. For my main hunting, I prefer something with more magnification. Other than magnification, I have not observed most of the negatives I've seen commented on. I do question how much negative testimony comes from people who have used them to any extent. They are not THE answer for optics, but are certainly the answer for certain applications.

Last edited by CCH; 04/11/22.
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks to all who responded!
My BLR is a little muzzle light and I thought that a barrel mounted scope would give it a little better balance. I've never shot a rifle that had a scout scope so am ignorant of that system. The ideal would be to find someone with that set up and compare. Anywho, thanks all.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Joe, where in Louisiana are you. I'm just south of Monroe, in Columbia

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If there is no practical way to effectively mount a proper scope on the receiver, where it should be, the scout scope concept is OK. I have one on a Swiss K31 and its better than iron sights, for my mature eyes. Apart from situations like this, I've never liked the concept. GD

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by CCH
It is a pretty slick set up, and the big feature that I like is the ability to keep back-up aperture sights in place.

Slick describes the Scout concept perfectly—mine was very easy to use quickly. The Scout scope is the only way I have found to have a scope and peep sights on a rifle at the same time but that was years before red-dot/magnifier combinations that we have now.

Originally Posted by Joe
Thanks to all who responded!
My BLR is a little muzzle light and I thought that a barrel mounted scope would give it a little better balance. I've never shot a rifle that had a scout scope so am ignorant of that system. The ideal would be to find someone with that set up and compare. Anywho, thanks all.

The Scout scope definitely shifts the balance forward, which is rarely a bad thing. In that sense, it serves the same purpose as the full-length stock and steel nose cap on a full-stock Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The only "scout" scopes I have used that are really worth anything are the leupy IER scopes which are basically lpvos with 2-3 inches more eye relief. They definitely have a home on some rifles and I really like them for what they are. My experience with pretty much every other LER scope I have tried is that they are trash.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.