Print Thread
Hop To
I
IDhawk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Long range hunting has intrigued me for a long time. I have a great deal of respect for those that do it the right way (proper equipment and adequate practice) and would like to try my hand at it some day.

Before I ever attempt it however, I have decided to build a long range tactical style rifle for competitive purposes. If I like it and more importantly, if I can prove myself capable of long range shooting, with a complete understanding of the various intricasies, then and only then will I take the next step by building an appropriate set-up designed for Long Range Hunting.

Having said all that, I am trying to determine which caliber to start with. The 6x47 Lapua intrigues me and I have done a lot of research on this particular caliber. Although new, it appears to already have a good following and has proven to be quite accurate. I like it better than the standard .308 for numerous reasons, but the truth is that I really want to shoot something a little outside the box. I also have a Rem 700 in .22-250 that would make a great donor rifle to begin this project. I could convert it into a .243 and shoot it until the barrel wears out, and then convert to the 6x47 at that time, or I could just start with a 6x47 to begin with. I am curious to see if any of you have experience with this caliber yet and what your overall impressions were.

One more thing to consider. I am not sure which caliber I would go with as a Long Range Hunter if I ever decide to go that route, but I would like to find something that somewhat matches the ballistics of my choice of a LR tactical. I may be way off base, but from the limimted research I have done in comparing the two, it seams that the 6x47 Lapua can have similar ballistics to a .338 Ultra, when using the right combination of components. What do you guys think? Is this a good approach to take? It would seem that finding a LR hunter that behaves similarly to a LR tactical that I have become familiar with would also shorten my learning curve with the bigger caliber.

Please feel free to share with me any other nuggets of knowledge that may help me along this journey. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Dan

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
long range hunting with limited velocity may not be the best solution. i am not a LR hunter but other than paper and people i would vote for the next step up as a baseline 260 rem smile JMO..

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
woofer...I think he meant he'd learn on the 6x47 and then move up to something bigger for the actual hunting.

Sounds like a plan to me. I've got a heavy 243 built on a Surgeon and just LOVE it! I'm shooting 105 Amaxs right now and have about 500 left, then might give the 115 DTAC's a try for some crazy high BC's.

Once you're over buying the brass and dies then the 6x47 isn't any more or less to shoot really than the 243, if that's what you want then get one. I like the common 243 due to ammo availability should I ever need the buy some. Mine is also fed by a Badger Mag systems with the AICS mags which are made for the 243/308 case.

J

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
aha.... jason, what twist can stabilize a 115? will the 8 twist do?

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 73 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,462
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.