Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
A buddy and I are planning a trip to the Tacoma Washington area sometime this summer to visit an Army buddy of ours who recently got stationed there and would like to get a fishing trip lined up as part of our visit. Anyone have recommendations for a guide service in the area?

We don’t have any saltwater or big water fishing experience, so expectations aren’t too high as to what we catch. Perhaps run some crab pots/traps as part of the fishing, if that’s a thing while doing a day trip? I’m assuming we’d plan to stay in the sound/bays, but open to ideas.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Adam

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just skip the Puget Sound fishing thing. Save a few bucks, rent a car, drive to Westport Washington, 1 1/2 hrs?...get on any charter boat and have the time of your life...it's worth every penny, it can run anywhere between 300 to 500 a day. Don't be afraid to book on a smaller boat, they really work at giving you a great experience. You will check in at 3 or 4 am, you will get about 10 hours on the ocean, you will have fun, you will be exhausted when you return about 3:30, you will remember it for the rest of your life.

Last edited by flintlocke; 03/26/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You will probably been in for a little shock when your in Seattle- Tacoma area. I would take the advice from above.
My nephew and his wife just had there catalytic converter cut off the truck while it was parked in " supposably" secure parking at the Portland Airport lady told them happens all the time WTF. They called the Portland police and they told them wont show up unless its life threatening if they want to fill out a report do it online

He told me the airport is pretty much surrounded by homeless camps and last summer they were everywhere when I drove north outta Seattle after flying in to Seattle to see family, told them last time they wanna see me gotta come east.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/26/22.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Just skip the Puget Sound fishing thing. Save a few bucks, rent a car, drive to Westport Washington, 1 1/2 hrs?...get on any charter boat and have the time of your life...it's worth every penny, it can run anywhere between 300 to 500 a day. Don't be afraid to book on a smaller boat, they really work at giving you a great experience. You will check in at 3 or 4 am, you will get about 10 hours on the ocean, you will have fun, you will be exhausted when you return about 3:30, you will remember it for the rest of your life.

Very solid advice. You also could do the same thing in the San Juan Islands which are about as far north as Westport is west. Do either trip mid-week if you can. The two-lane roads between Westport and the interstate are a nightmare on Sundays, as are the ferry docks into the San Juans. Then you have nightmare weekend traffic on the interstate getting back into the Seattle/Tacoma area.

You might be able to get local tips and information from the MWR office at https://jblm.armymwr.com/ There's also a Navy MWR facility at Pacific Beach, which is north of Westport but still in the same area. https://pacbeach.navylifepnw.com/amenities-entertainment The folks who work there are locals and will have insight into what to do and what to avoid. If your buddy is on Active Duty, then he can also rent gear there if needed, but I'd lean toward a charter outfit.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the info guys! Great idea to check with the local MWR office on base.

Adam

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Puget sound ain’t much of a fishery. There are certainly some opportunities but you are better off heading to the coast, as was mentioned.

Call/email Darryl at Far Corners and see if he has any openings in your time frame. Depending on dates it may be lingcod, rockfish, tuna, salmon, etc….He can let you know about crabs, clams, and what ever else might be available.

He runs a 30’ Ocean Master and a custom 31’Bert both with twin 300 zukis. Nice gear, Avet etc.. 6 guys to a boat and he gets to the fishing fast.

A lot of the big boats are cattle style. Lots of people and they take longer to get out and back.

All Rivers is another with a good rep.

I’m sure there are others but can vouch for the two mentioned.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I’d go tuna (albacore) out of Westport.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
https://westportcharters.com/?page_id=19

Try the Hulagirl if they have openings. Lots of fun for $200.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Something to consider is species. Salmon limits are 1 to 2 fish. If you really like salmon, that might be your ticket. But, if you like white flaky meat from your fish, the bottom fish trips will allow you to catch more fish.

I fish Puget Sound a lot. If you don’t have a boat that can cover some water, it’s pretty tough. I will generally get my limit of salmon and crab, but I’ll be working for it.

Another option is to head east of the mountains to places like Lake Chelan. Lots if eye candy, and big lake trout (not great to eat). There’s also lots of guides that fish the Columbia River for salmon, steelhead, and walleye.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 45 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,892
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.