Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Trying to help a relative value the following target/varmint rifle that he inherited when his father passed. My understanding is that this is a rare configuration.

Ruger 77 Mark II
22 PPC
Laminate Stock
Gray Finish
26" Heavy Barrel
Serial number look-up on Ruger's site notes 1994 shipment date; # model 07892
Rifle looks like new.

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by greenmtndave; 04/17/22.
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greenmtndave
Trying to help a relative value the following target/varmint rifle that he inherited when his father passed. My understanding is that this is a rare configuration.

Ruger 77 Mark II
22 PPC
Laminate Stock
Gray Finish
26" Heavy Barrel
Rifle looks like new.

Thoughts appreciated.

Its rare, they also made them in 6PPC. I recently found a like new 6PPC varmint, like the 22PPC you are inquiring about. It was $600.00, but that doesn't mean it was "worth" that. Just what I could have bought it for at a LGS. On gunbroker, they can go for as high as $1,200.00!!!! Most of them are in like new condition, because you can't find brass for them.. ha ha.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd be surprised to see it go less than $1k...$1200 is very realistic (if not more).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
i remember going to a LGS back in the early 90s and they had M77s and #1s in 22PPC and 6PPC on the shelves for sale, they sat for a very long time.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lots or Rugers sat on the shelves for a while back in the 90's...I can remember when you could barely give away a boat paddle 77, now they're $1k+.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the feedback.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jason280
Lots or Rugers sat on the shelves for a while back in the 90's...I can remember when you could barely give away a boat paddle 77, now they're $1k+.

Boat paddle rifles have a good following. I'm not sure I can say the same for the laminated stocked varmint rifles. However, that's not to say the rifle the op is asking about wouldn't sell for $1,200.00 (to the right person) on gunbroker. I'd urge him to check on brass availability and weigh out the pros and cons. That's what I did with the $600.00 6PPC I saw last year. Its still sits on the gunrack too, so that says something..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

May have been a regional thing. The guy we used to buy a lot of guns from sold a ton of those boat paddles. I think we started buying em from him for about $350 & the last new one I remember buying was $385 cash.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

May have been a regional thing. The guy we used to buy a lot of guns from sold a ton of those boat paddles. I think we started buying em from him for about $350 & the last new one I remember buying was $385 cash.

Yeah, new Ruger mkII model 77's were priced right back then. Generally $369.99 and sometimes less when they were on sale. This was '96 and into the early 2,000's. I don't know about "sitting on the shelves" because I didn't see them too often used on the shelves. Maybe the tang safeties were sitting on the shelves, but the mkII was too new to be on the used rifle shelf. Not saying I didn't buy them that way though. They were just few and far between. The ones I saw used back in the 90's that were on the shelf were 338WM's. I bought a couple real nice laminated stocked MKII's that way. They were not much cheaper than a new rifle, but you rarely saw the laminated stainless models in the LGS. I never once saw a PPC, until last year. They are pretty rare.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, new Ruger mkII model 77's were priced right back then. Generally $369.99 and sometimes less when they were on sale. This was '96 and into the early 2,000's. I don't know about "sitting on the shelves" because I didn't see them too often used on the shelves. Maybe the tang safeties were sitting on the shelves, but the mkII was too new to be on the used rifle shelf. Not saying I didn't buy them that way though. They were just few and far between. The ones I saw used back in the 90's that were on the shelf were 338WM's. I bought a couple real nice laminated stocked MKII's that way. They were not much cheaper than a new rifle, but you rarely saw the laminated stainless models in the LGS. I never once saw a PPC, until last year. They are pretty rare.

Nope they aren’t rare. Yes they were PPC but none of em shot worth sh*t. Saw 5 or 6 different ones at BR matches at least once rarely twice as they went down the road real quick.

Swifty
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Nope they aren’t rare. Yes they were PPC but none of em shot worth sh*t. Saw 5 or 6 different ones at BR matches at least once rarely twice as they went down the road real quick.

They are pretty rare in my neck of the woods. How many did they make, since you think they aren't?

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
it'll fetch more then a grand.

twist rate makes it not appealing to me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was aware they made them in PPC but I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

It will go for 1k or more when you find the right buyer. For some reason I seem to remember (may be wrong) but the PPC used an oddball bolt head size and that's likely the value.

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
if one wanted a PPC that bad, its not hard on a Ruger 77 to have the bolt extractor changed to a PPC bolt face, and having an after market barrel made
is not all that hard....can put one together for like $400.00 on a rebarrel...

I've thought about doing one of my Ruger VTs, into have a barrel in 6.5 Grendal and then 6 Grendal, just to play with....

Was given a couple hundred pieces of Sako brass/ Lapua chambered for a 22 PPC.. brand new and never been fired....
guy never completed his project....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To Shefire's great credit,she remains amazingly fhuqking CLUELESS and talks out her ass...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Receiver rails,mag box and follower rate a thunk,but then again...she can't even punctuate for herself. She'll need to Google same. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by greenmtndave

Ruger 77 Mark II
22 PPC
Laminate Stock
Gray Finish
26" Heavy Barrel
Rifle looks like new.

Thoughts appreciated.

Its rare, they also made them in 6PPC. I recently found a like new 6PPC varmint, like the 22PPC you are inquiring about. It was $600.00, but that doesn't mean it was "worth" that. Just what I could have bought it for at a LGS. On gunbroker, they can go for as high as $1,200.00!!!! Most of them are in like new condition, because you can't find brass for them.. ha ha.

I just learned something here I didn't realize they ever made him in a 6ppc or 22 PPC that's pretty cool I would probably spend too much money on one myself

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just a couple weeks ago at the gun show I was looking at this rifle's twin - Ruger gray lam stock in 22ppc. The guy was asking $1100 but I know I could have got it for less.

He said they only made them for a few years, as the PPC guys sued/whatever over using 'their' cartridge.

I always figured if I was going to buy a factory ppc I'd wait for a sako instead of a ruger. I've already got a Nesika and Cooper in the safe so I'll likely never have the need.

I would say it would sell quick at $800, but you might get $1000 on gunbroker if the right buyer came along.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.