-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dry firing is invaluable for shooting better.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's particularly good for handgun shooting. I've fallen off that game the last 12 or 14 years or so, though. Need to get back on.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is nothing you can do to help accuracy more than dry firing. I have good luck getting the girls in the family to dry fire practice but the boys want to hear it go bang. The girls are generally better shots than the boys.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Just use a snap cap if you are going to do it ALL the time.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Depends on the firearm. Some can be dry-fired forever with no problem. Others can be damaged very quickly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I do lots of dry fire with handguns. For indoor rifle practice I mostly use air rifles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Spent lots of time deployed aboard ship during the late 70's through the mid 80's and we dry fired our M40A1's a great deal in our berthing space, simple half inch black dot on paper taped to the bulkhead.
If underway we'd practice shooting at bags of trash that were thrown clear of the fan tail, helped with range estimation, moving targets (at times sharks would go after the mess deck trash), timing the movement of the ship and the sea state improved our skill set.
We would also dry fire our 1911's in the berthing area as well.
It never hurt the rifles or 1911's, and hey our bolt handles never fell off .....

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 04/18/22.

Semper Fi
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I used to shoot handgun competitively/seriously, I suppose that’s when I stepped up my game regarding dry firing. When the north wind blows and the snow is up to my but, I spend a lot of time dry firing. Sometimes I poke my head and rifle out and shoot at targets I’ve set up. I suppose I should have a second house in the land of AZ for the winter, then I could shoot more and that would be a good thing!
This winter and this cold cold spring and back surgery have kept me inside. I can’t wait until this global warming kicks in! Come on Gore you promised…
I used to shoot air rifles inside too, but not as much anymore. I find taking the rifle that I plan on taking out this fall and dry firing it daily is worthwhile.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/18/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
When they train Marines to shoot they will dry fire many times more than with live ammo, if that tells you anything. Mastering the firearm without ammo will not only help with trigger control and sight alignment (all 7 factors to good shooting really) it will also facilitate muscle memory when manipulating the firearm you are practicing with. That’s a good skill to have in any shooting environment.

Some firearms you can dry fire a lot without damage to the gun, others not so much. Snap caps are good for shotguns and rimfires, ditto for revolvers. You may also consider how easily you can acquire and swap firing pins. Broken or deformed firing pins were relatively common in my time in the Marines; probably as a result of extensive dry firing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Only dry fire to prove empty chamber of a semiauto pistol at the range. I eventually broke the firing pin but made a replacement.

I practice at home with the air rifle from time to time but am down the local range most weekends, "wet" firing.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
if you please, what falls in which category

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I teach gun fighting to commandos for a living.

Dry fire is essential.

1. You develop trigger control. Nothing like dropping the hammer without noise and recoil to show you (via site movement) what is happening. Hint (sorry, couldn't resist)

2. Dry fire should be extended to weapons manipulation ie, draw, presentation, reloading and stoppage mitigation.

I Dry fire at the TV, action movies are challenging.
Start by ensuring the weapon is unloaded, seriously!
Begin at full presentation.
Advance to include presentation from high ready.
Incorporate a full draw when you're feeling squirrelly.

Not a gun writer

Last edited by OGB; 04/19/22.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Depends on the firearm. Some can be dry-fired forever with no problem. Others can be damaged very quickly.

JB, can you elaborate on this. Thanks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by OGB
I teach gun fighting to commandos for a living.

Dry fire is essential.

1. You develop trigger control. Nothing like dropping the hammer without noise and recoil to show you (via site movement) what is happening. Hint (sorry, couldn't resist)

2. Dry fire should be extended to weapons manipulation ie, draw, presentation, reloading and stoppage mitigation.

I Dry fire at the TV, action movies are challenging.
Start by ensuring the weapon is unloaded, seriously!
Begin at full presentation.
Advance to include presentation from high ready.
Incorporate a full draw when you're feeling squirrelly.

Not a gun writer

Yep. You don’t want to pull an Elvis! 📺🔫

Last edited by navlav8r; 04/19/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Snap Caps only for me, and a lot of Dry Firing, with the Snap Caps only!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
One of my buddies has a son and grandson that are both LEO.

They do dry fire exercises by placing a dime on top of their Glocks, just behind the front sight. Try not to let the dime fall off when dry firing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I've learned about handgun shooting is that a revolver might be the best practice weapon, the reason being that I can leave a chamber empty and spin the cylinder without looking before latching it up. You'll sure find out in a hurry if you're jerking the trigger. It kinda helps (AND hurts) when other shooters are on the line to see you do it...gives extra incentive to refrain from jerking. I guess you could call it "hybrid" dry firing or something like that, with social pressure thrown in.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

JB, can you elaborate on this. Thanks.

Generally speaking, most rimfire firearms can be damaged by dry-firing, because the firing pin can dent the edge of the empty chamber. Which is why I only dry-fire rimfires with already fired empty cases in the chamber, even when just testing and adjusting the trigger.

Revolvers can vary considerably in their resistance to dry-firing.

Many break-action rifles and shotguns can be damaged, but often it's the firing pin recess that's damaged--though it can also affect the pin itself. Some break-action shotguns can also be dry-fired, but usually more modern models. Older ones (especially outside-hammer guns) might not do so well.

Most centerfire bolt-action rifles can be safely dry-fired, but other types of actions may not be, especially older lever-actions.

If there's any doubt about a particular model, fired cases are cheap--and snap-caps not unaffordable.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by RiverRider
One thing I've learned about handgun shooting is that a revolver might be the best practice weapon, the reason being that I can leave a chamber empty and spin the cylinder without looking before latching it up. You'll sure find out in a hurry if you're jerking the trigger. It kinda helps (AND hurts) when other shooters are on the line to see you do it...gives extra incentive to refrain from jerking. I guess you could call it "hybrid" dry firing or something like that, with social pressure thrown in.

You can do this with mag fed guns too.

Its called a "Ball/Dummy" drill.

Mix 3-5 dummy rounds in with regular ammo randomly. Swap mags with your partner and coach each other. Chit talking is encouraged.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great idea, OGB. I think I'll give that a try. After 20 years of intensive buying, trading, developing loads, investigating optics, and tinkering with rifles I think it's time to get my handgun shooting back on track. Better to do it with semis and revolvers, I think.

Don't be the darkness.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (007FJ, 16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,349
Posts18,487,864
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.