Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
What do y’all think of these rifles. I’m going to pick one up. Let me know the good and the bad. Thanks

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The cleaner you keep it, the better it'll run.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Check to be sure the firing pin has been replaced. They had a recall on them. Winchester will send you a new one, but you have to contact them with your serial # to check to see if its been changed. They are good rifles, but do need to be kept clean to operate well. Also, if you handload, keep pressures on the lower side. They do not like hot loads. Your extractor will thank me later for keeping the loads mild. They can be made to shoot well. One I had would shoot 3/4" 3 shot groups, but there are some tricks to that. Also, be very careful when removing the action from the stock. You do NOT want to break the stock. Replacements are hard to find and expensive! The charging handle is a 2 piece unit and has been known to come apart. The magazines are also hard to find and expensive, so hopefully you get more than 1 with your rifle. Guys that work on them, like redneck, can add to the list, I'm sure. Just relaying what I've personally seen with them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had one in 284 Win., it shot well and was accurate enough...there was a firing pin issue with them.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I was given one for “free” by a family member about ten years ago. After spending 400 bucks to get it operational, I’ve found it works fine sometimes as a single shot. That is, if it’s in the mood to eject the brass. Mine uses a model 88 magazine, which might be part of the problem.

If I had to do it all over again, I’d have said no thanks.

Had to:

Weld the broken operating rods

Polish chamber

Replace firing pin

Repair cracked stock, broken when previous owners disassembled it

Last edited by paint; 04/19/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess, I'm a lucky one. I have one it was given to me from my father before he passed.
It's a .308 Win. It hasn't had anything done to the firing pin (for an update) This rifle shoots good. Like others have said, keep it clean and it works great.

I have never read up why the change was needed on the firing pin.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by paint
I was given one for “free” by a family member about ten years ago. After spending 400 bucks to get it operational, I’ve found it works fine sometimes as a single shot. That is, if it’s in the mood to eject the brass. Mine uses a model 88 magazine, which might be part of the problem.

If I had to do it all over again, I’d have said no thanks.

Had to:

Weld the broken operating rods

Polish chamber

Replace firing pin

Repair cracked stock, broken when previous owners disassembled it

Sounds like you need to replace the extractor too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I’ll have to go back and check the receipt, but I’m fairly sure the gunsmith replaced it. I could be wrong though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really like mine. Perfect hog gun here in the GA swamps. LOVES Federal Hi SHoks and WW 150 Power Points.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My grandfather bought a .308 M100 new, kept it clean and hunted with it for well over a decade. When he passed, it went to my uncle, who gave it to my dad after a few years. They both used it trouble free before and after my dad had the firing pin recall replacement done. It's still going strong. Original magazine, no issues.

All my dad shoots in it are Federal PowerShok 150's, although it did just fine with the early 2000's vintage CoreLokt 150's, too, when I mounted and sighted in a new scope for him. Holds 1.25-1.5" for 3 at 100 yds off of bags, handles well and points easy in the field.

I've never hand loaded for it, as he's content with the factory loads. I found it to be a little hard on brass, so maybe that's just as well, and that would be the only con I've ever found with the rifle. I like it a helluva lot better than the three 740/742/750 Remingtons that an old hunting partner of ours has gone through in the last 30 years.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Third rifle I ever owned. Big improvement over my 94 Winchester. Later after I had on to better things I was really sorry I had sold it.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got one in 308win with an old weaver scope. Rifle is in perfect condition and so far has operated fine. Reminds me in looks of an large ruger 10/22, at least from a distance.

The reason I picked it up was my dad drew an Idaho moose tag but had trouble manipulating a bolt rifle with his Parkinsons disease. The model 100 allowed him to use a rifle and he ended up shooting an large bull at 423yds. Broke the neck and instant dead with Federal 180 blue box. Good times and memories made. Glad I spent the time with him while he was here. Now I don't have a use for the 100. I'm a lefty and have a pile of lefty bolt rifles and classic leverguns.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Had one, was accurate but liked to let go of rounds instead of ejecting them. Amazingly they will work fine with out the disconnector parts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned several Winchester 100s, at least 2 each in 243, 284, and 38, and, except for the 284 magazine quirks, have never had any problems with the 243s and 308s if they were kept clean and properly lubricated. I still have 2x 308, a carbine and a cut-down rifle, and a 243 rifle. One of my 2 favorite still-hunting rifles is the Winchester 100 in 308 that a previous owner had the barrel cut-down to 17". It is short, handy, quick to the shoulder, and points good, just the ticket for jump shooting game in the woods.

The only design problem that I see in the Winchester 100 is that removing the barreled action from the stock is more difficult for the average guy than seems necessary, resulting in less maintenance being done and inhibiting the cleaning and proper lubrication. The only parts that I've had to replace on any Winchester 100 have been the ejector and extractor parts, but they have failed often enough that I keep a couple sets of those parts in my parts bins. GPC has the ejector and extractor parts in stock. If you buy the Winchester 100 that you're thinking about, I'd recommend that you buy those parts, including the springs, plungers, and pins so that you'll have them when you need them. These parts, particularly the extractors, are prone to fail, so it is more of a situation of when they will fail rather than if they will fail.

This is my perspective based on my actual experience with the Winchester 100.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
GPC has the ejector and extractor parts in stock. If you buy the Winchester 100 that you're thinking about, I'd recommend that you buy those parts, including the springs, plungers, and pins so that you'll have them when you need them. These parts, particularly the extractors, are prone to fail, so it is more of a situation of when they will fail rather than if they will fail.

I hope you're aware that there are TWO different extractors for the M100 - based on the S/N of the rifle.. Obtain the wrong one and you'll not have a happy day..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image from sef.kloninger.com]

Keep some handy. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
laugh laugh laugh Indeed!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
GPC has the ejector and extractor parts in stock. If you buy the Winchester 100 that you're thinking about, I'd recommend that you buy those parts, including the springs, plungers, and pins so that you'll have them when you need them. These parts, particularly the extractors, are prone to fail, so it is more of a situation of when they will fail rather than if they will fail.

I hope you're aware that there are TWO different extractors for the M100 - based on the S/N of the rifle.. Obtain the wrong one and you'll not have a happy day..

I am aware of the different extractors, GPC has both in stock, I looked before I posted my previous comments.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

Keep some handy. grin

How many Winchester 100s have you owned?

If any at all, what problems did you encounter?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Keep some handy. grin

How many Winchester 100s have you owned?

If any at all, what problems did you encounter?

I watched a friend wrestle with his, so I never had the desire to own one. It was always something, but I'll admit the particulars are beyond my recollection having occurred over thirty-five years ago with a rifle that wasn't mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,304
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.