Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
What is skim bedding? How is it different from regular bedding. Can I do this to a stock with an aluminum bedding block?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes and yes. When guys refer to "skim bedding", they are usually talking about a light epoxy bedding over a bedding block. It does help with getting better more consistent accuracy, as I've done a few and noticed a difference after bedding. Also, as far as I'm concerned, skim bedding is going to require all the same prep work as what a regular bedding job would require. You rough up the surface you want the epoxy to stick to (the aluminum bedding block in your case) or maybe even drill some anchor holes, apply the epoxy and then set your barreled action into the stock, making sure you use plenty of release agent on the barreled action so you don't glue it in. When done, you have 2 pieces married up like one, until you pull your action screws out and separate them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have skim bedded several Remington Senderos with aluminum bedding blocks. The bedding blocks didn't mate up perfectly with the receivers. I got shim washers from Ernie the Gunsmith, who has instructions on his site for such a project. I used the correct thickness of washers to fill the gap between the bottom of the receiver and the bedding block, then used 5 minute epoxy to set them in place. Then I skim bedded the action. I ended up with a perfect mating of the two surfaces and the rifle shot better.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aluminum bedding blocks... the answer to the question no one should be asking...

Skim bedding is simply adding a light coat of bedding material for the finale'.

Far more important IMO&E is neutral pressure bedding so no stresses get embedded...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep in mind that bedding compound needs an adequate thickness for conformability and durability.

Spacing the action slightly above the bedding block is the best approach to eliminate stress. I use a slightly different approach than the spacers but having used them in the past, they work very well.

While bedding blocks can offer some stability, the inevitable block to receiver fit issues of mass produced stocks of this style can actually cause more problems than they 'fix'.

I just finished one that originally showed .025 barrel movement at the fore end tip when the front action screw was cracked loose.

There's some good tutorials out there as well as some horrible advice. Do your homework and keep in mind what the end goal is. Different receivers need different approaches to some aspects re: clearance, tang contact (or not), etc.

Good shootin'.-Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Keep in mind that bedding compound needs an adequate thickness for conformability and durability.

Spacing the action slightly above the bedding block is the best approach to eliminate stress. I use a slightly different approach than the spacers but having used them in the past, they work very well.

While bedding blocks can offer some stability, the inevitable block to receiver fit issues of mass produced stocks of this style can actually cause more problems than they 'fix'.

I just finished one that originally showed .025 barrel movement at the fore end tip when the front action screw was cracked loose.

There's some good tutorials out there as well as some horrible advice. Do your homework and keep in mind what the end goal is. Different receivers need different approaches to some aspects re: clearance, tang contact (or not), etc.

Good shootin'.-Al
Yep I agree. I would also add: Anyone who really wants to research and do proper glass bedding jobs, should invest in some gunsmithing books and have a good mechanical knowledge and understanding. Read and try to understand the principal. As you say, every gun manufacture may require a different strategy and that takes some learning and experience. Guys like redneck that have a done a thousand bedding jobs really know the ins and outs and principals of what it takes to get this done. I've skim bedded a few and they always turn out good. As I always say, the proof is in the target downrange. There's also ways to check, as you mention about the barrel moving when "cracking" the front action screw. You never want movement like that and the use of a good dial indicator will tell you a lot. A lot of guys don't have a dial indicator, so there's that also. A stress free bedding job is what you are looking for always. There are many tricks when it comes to proper bedding jobs. I'd also be warry about listening to some people, but also keep in mind there are different ways to skin this cat. I've seen where you use a chit ton of masking tape when you bed something. That is absolutely unnecessary most of the time. Learned that from my good buddy who is a gunsmith and has been doing this chidt for 50 years. He's retired now, but still a wealth of knowledge. Its those kinds of guys that I listen to. Youtube videos are sketchy sometimes too. You just have to be selective when you watch and listen. I've corrected schidt bedding jobs from guys that were supposed to know what they were doing as well. Maybe they were having a bad day? My most recent rifle I bought was glass bedded in a Mcmillan from a well known smith near Reno, but I had to fix some of it. Although, he may not have went out and test fired it. He may have only done what his client told him to do, where as I "fine tune" chidt for the best precision. Also, keep in mind that even similar rifles can be different. One may prefer a totally freefloated barrel, while another may like a little bedding under the chamber area. You won't know until you get it out there and try it both ways. Its best when a guy has some mechanical knowledge if they want to pursue proper glass bedding, as that has one of the biggest influences on rifle accuracy/precision, besides the barrel of course. If you don't want to start out with a proper foundation (glass bedding), you might as well take up golf...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 13,370 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,161
Posts18,542,886
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.