Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
See pic link below. This happened at the range today. Could this be brass that’s loaded too many times? Yes, I don’t keep very good track of how many times I load my brass.

I usually adjust the die to size the neck only, then give it another 1/8 turn down.

Thanks for your expertise!

Brass pic. 7mm rem mag

Last edited by DrGnarr; 04/22/22.
HR IC

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I shoot my 7 mag brass 3 times, junk it after for that reason. I have four 7 mags, so I full length resize my brass.

Last edited by hanco; 04/22/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You’ve resized them way too much. Chances are you were resizing way more than the neck. Without a way to measure headspace you’re guessing at how much you’re resizing.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Belted magnum cases all need fireformed to get the best case life. If you don't, then you get exactly the results you have. A case head separation. My .300WM brass when new had a shoulder that was over .040 back from where it ended up after firing. Get new brass, take about 3grains of powder out of it, load some heavy 200gr or 220gr bullets out until they touch the rifling. 1/8th of a turn on a 7/8-14 die will move you shoulder back almost .009, which is way too much. Run it down until it touches, then just a taste more. Check to see if it chambers. If not, then just a bit more until it does. .002-.003 is what you're aiming for.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks all. What’s the consensus on sig brass? Seems to be about all that I can find available?

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How do you adjust your FL die to just size the neck?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
You’ve resized them way too much. Chances are you were resizing way more than the neck. Without a way to measure headspace you’re guessing at how much you’re resizing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yup. That's a case head separation, not a split. Case head separation happens when the case is repeatedly shortened in reloading, then stretched in firing. You might try a Lee neck collet die to avoid this.

Be not weary in well doing.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes, generally you go by fired case size and then just bump the shoulder a minute amount. I'm not a neck sizer, as I like my ammo to be 100% reliable out in the field. My belted magnums are ones that go out in the field, so this really applies to them. Even if a guy doesn't have a comparator, he can adjust the die so the sized brass has a slight bit of tension when chambered. That is generally around a .001-.003" bump. Good enough for the girls I hang out with and reduces case stretch so you can get multiple loadings on the brass. Op also asked about Sig brass. It has been excellent for me thus far.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It would also be interesting to know how far forward the shoulder moves when the brass is fired the first time in that particular chamber.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
It would also be interesting to know how far forward the shoulder moves when the brass is fired the first time in that particular chamber.

Me as well. Betting it is a pile..

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DrGnarr
See pic link below. This happened at the range today. Could this be brass that’s loaded too many times? Yes, I don’t keep very good track of how many times I load my brass.

I usually adjust the die to size the neck only, then give it another 1/8 turn down.

Brass pic. 7mm rem mag

Agree with everyone above; its time to buy a comparator so you know exactly how much you're setting the shoulder back.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I've been around some doozy 300 Win mag chambers.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TX35W

Brass pic. 7mm rem mag

Agree with everyone above; its time to buy a comparator so you know exactly how much you're setting the shoulder back.

A piece of 40 S&W brass will work fine.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TX35W

Brass pic. 7mm rem mag

A piece of 40 S&W brass will work fine.

Interesting. I had not thunk of that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As with non-belted brass, size just enough so that a cartridge will chamber with slight resistance. After three or four such sizings, the brass will probably will require a full-length sizing then you can start over with the partial sizings.

D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve been loading for this rifle for a long time without issue. Only recently I started going 1/8 of a turn past the neck only because I had a couple that were almost too tight to chamber. I also changed die sets when I did this. I’ll go back to my old dies and old methods, and get new brass. Some of this brass could have been loaded upwards of 5,6,7 times, possibly more.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I've been around some doozy 300 Win mag chambers.

I create false shoulders for the virgin firing in my belted magnums (along with most every other chambering) for this reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I neck size only, but brass has to remain rifle specific.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve been loading for this rifle for a long time without issue. Only recently I started going 1/8 of a turn past the neck only because I had a couple that were almost too tight to chamber. I also changed die sets when I did this. I’ll go back to my old dies and old methods, and get new brass. Some of this brass could have been loaded upwards of 5,6,7 times, possibly more.

On my press, a full turn of the seating stem is .060". If you tightened down 1/8 turn, that's .0075", quite a bit too much.

Be not weary in well doing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 3,489 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.