Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

We’ve been talking about it for years……just this week started the process! Step #1…….find a very reputable attorney! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m an elder law attorney. I talk more people out of trusts than into them. First, every state is a little, and sometimes a lot, different. In AZ I recommend people sit down and list their assets. Next, figure out which assets can be passed on by a designation, such as a beneficiary deed(not available in every state), pay-on-death, or transfer-on-death for bank accounts and investments. Once you figure this out you need to set out your goals. Do you have a taxable estate? Keep an eye out, the government is going to need to get more out of estates to pay for their programs. If you have someone important with a disability you will want to consider the impact an inheritance might have on the state and federal benefits their are, or may someday be, receiving. I would recommend you look for an attorney who is a member of the national academy of elder law attorneys. Here is the link: https://www.naela.org/findlawyer?

Good luck,
Pete

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need a trust so you can "step up" the value of your property your heirs receive to its current value. Let me explain. You pass your property to your heirs via a will. Should they want to sell at a future date, they will be taxed on the total value of the property - from zero to its current value - the whole enchilada gets taxed, With a trust the value of your property steps up to the value on the date of your passing. So if your property is worth $1 million on the date you pass, if your heirs decide to sell at a future date, they will only be taxed on the value of your property in excess of $1 million.

So, tax on the whole value, or tax on the value from the date of your passing? In your situation, you definitely need a trust.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's a step up in basis.
Most states allow that via will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Colorado, by having a Beneficiary Deed for your home on file at the county courthouse, the home will pass to your heirs without having to go through probate, and they will receive the home on the stepped-up basis. And they will have access to the home as rightful heirs immediately with just your death certificate. No need for a trust, and no tax consequences for your heirs.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Screw a will.

If it's real property, depending on your state of residence, look into:

1- Land Trusts
2- Deed To Trustee (from Lamd Trusts)
2- Trustees for Land Trusts
3- Beneficial Interest
4- Power of Attorney (so you can continue to control day to day operations of properties after your Deed To Trustee)

Best of luck to you.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Screw a will.
I agree. Make your probate estate as small as you possibly can. Take as much as you possibly can outta the hands of the probate court. And don’t even mention in your Will any of your assets that aren’t part of your probate estate.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We have a trust that is evergreen with the "health" half be reviewed and updated after year one and the "asset" half being updated on year two with a new updated trust issued at year three. We pay an annual fee to our trust attorney. After it was first written we had a session with our three sons having our attorney talk them through it. They were pleased to learn the level of detail that resides within the "health" half knowing they will have zero decisions to make as our health declines. A solid trust by a proven trust attorney is a must but so many don't have one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wabi, there's a lot of conflicting "advice" given here.

The advice to trust (pun intended) is a trust attorney in your state. Our financial situation in Utah drove us to get a trust, wills, living wills, and grant power of attorney and executor status to our elder daughter.

Your mileage WILL (pun again) vary.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
We have a trust that is evergreen with the "health" half be reviewed and updated after year one and the "asset" half being updated on year two with a new updated trust issued at year three. We pay an annual fee to our trust attorney. After it was first written we had a session with our three sons having our attorney talk them through it. They were pleased to learn the level of detail that resides within the "health" half knowing they will have zero decisions to make as our health declines. A solid trust by a proven trust attorney is a must but so many don't have one.

Your sons can be the trustee, or anybody else you choose, for that matter. Doesn't have to be that trust attorney.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by EdM

Your sons can be the trustee, or anybody else you choose, for that matter. Doesn't have to be that trust attorney.

It's not. That is sorted as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.