Hop To
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
as opposed to sharp point broadheads.

I've read they penetrate better, and have no way to refute this. In fact, I believed it.

However, I did a test on a peice of hide between a chisel point and a sharp point. You should try it, if you're not convinced.

The sharp point took a LOT less effort to penetrate. And I mean a LOT less...the difference was stark and apparent.

The argument against a sharp point is that they hit a bone and break, but most of them now are built up, so I don't see that happening.

I shoot traditional, and the sharp point is my choice. Fred Bear's Razorhead at one time was a sharp point, then went to a chisel point, probably because the steel was soft. I still have some sharp-point AND chisel point Razorheads.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was your test done in slow motion - just pushing the point through or was it done at real speed - 250+ fps on an arrow? I'm sure it would be hard to push any bullet through the hide at slow speed. Not trying to be a smart azz but the dynamics of the moving projectile is a whole 'nother can of worms.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Not thinking you're a smartazz, it's a legit question. But not a legit comparison, because two separate forces are involved. A bullet is travelling at 60 times the speed of an arrow, and doesn't depend on a sharp edge for penetration.

I think, surmise, and guess that the slower the missle, the more advantage you have with a sharp point. If you could move an arrow at 2400 fps, don't think it would matter much if the tip was chisel or sharp pointed.

I would be foolish to argue with success, as many chisel-tip broadheads apparently work great. But it's something to think about.

By the way, I've never had a bow that would shoot 200 fps, much less 250 fps! Wish I had!

Last edited by Gene L; 09/28/07.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use sharp-point single blades when hunting with traditional bows and chisel points when using cams. I don't get enough penetration with four-blade heads and chisel points with traditionals.

Jaywalker

G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My buddy uses 3-blade Snuffers with his 50# recurve bow and gets full penetration. I think it's a sharp pointed head.

Bear razorheads, the old green-painted ones for wooden arrows, are really soft, which I suppose is why they went to a chisel point later on.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gene

You hit the nail on the head- when bone is encountered a chisel will blow right through it, cut on impact dont seem to penetrate bone as well. Any modern compound bow will zip a chisel point right through a deer but i think a traditional needs the cutting ability to penetrate well.

Even the newer cut on impacts cant compare to a chisel when bones come into play, but not all broad heads are created equal. The slick tricks have a small chisel with the blades right behind it. Muzzy's have a huge chisel with the blades mounted further behind, but both seem to work well.

I would say that traditional guys have to stick with cut on impact and as a compound hunter i will stick with slick tricks, just dont trust mechanicals( a whole different post) any more.To each their own as long as they work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.