-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I found the hard way is I like a spotter to be available, but a large spotter is a huge PIA to carry in your pack all day. If you can find a spotter that carries well in your pack and has the power you need you will be way ahead of the game even if you carry good binos. I have Swarovski 10 x 42 ELs I picked up a couple years ago, but last year I found some elk that were just a bit too far to judge from a distance so I broke out my Leupold 25 x 50 Compact spotter and tripod and looked them over real good. Even with the spotter it was tough, but doable to check the herd for what I was looking for (a spike elk- only tag we could draw for that unit) and nothing was there. Without the spotter I would have had a long walk in deep snow up and down some nasty ridges to get a better look. In fact, I found another one at a gun show a couple months ago and bought it for my son to carry...

I've found Doug to be a straight shooter and he will give you the benefit of all the feedback he gets from customers along the way. Hard to go wrong with getting his advice and excellent prices/service...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 04/20/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go back and forth with spotters. They're heavy and bulky, and me not being a numbers guy means I take a quick look at a critter and say "good enough" or not. Spotters have helped me ID stump bears and tree deer though, which even my 15X binos couldn't do. Sheep hunts or areas with point restrictions where you really have to study a critter to determine legality is where spotters shine, but even then at times I don't take one along. I often (but often don't) regret it.

Is this a guided hunt? If so I wouldn't doubt the guide will carry a spotter for you.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For the correct judgement of a trophy a spotting scope is essential. Afeter years of carrying different full sized, and heavy, 60 or 65 mm spotters, I have finally opted for the little Kowa TSN-553 which delivers a lot of quality in a small package. I bought it from Doug following his advise and have never looked back.

If it will be a fun hunt or a meat hunt I would not consider it essential.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A spotter is absolutely essential field judging as others have said. One thing I would say is that on high magnification with lesser quality it is almost pointless as the clarity will be poor. This is exacerbated by mirage which shows up at less than “hot” temps but is worse then. I would buy a higher glass quality spotter over one with more magnification and lesser quality glass every time. The one you have mentioned is OK. If you like Vortex the Newer Viper spotter is very close to the 1st Gen Razor you mentioned in quality and the same price with more magnification.

The only ones I have used extensively are Burris, Leupold SX2, Vortex Diamondback and Razor HD. The Razor HD is the best of those but above your price point. I have also looked thru a Swarovski spotter which is above any of those.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In big sky country I use binos to find game and then go to a spotter to assess merit. I'd be inclined to still pack a spotter for deer. Most of my elking is in more rugged terrain with less distance involved. There I go with small binos and 6.5 to 20x Leupold scope on the rifle. Still have a spotter in the rig though if I have a couple slow days need to examine greater expanses for potential targets. Might not pack one, but I'd not leave it at home either.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/23/22.

1Minute
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I would up my budget and spring for the kowa 553/554 from Doug. You could use it on your trip and if you didn’t want to keep it afterwards sell it here for $200 less than you paid for it. Cheap rental.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’ve hunted that area quite a bit over the last 20 years and no way would I be without a spotter. I have both a 50mm and 80 mm spotter. The compact packs well while the full size doesn’t get much more than a few hundred yards from the vehicle.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.