Print Thread
Hop To
C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Recently I checked our home fire extinguishers to see if any of them were expired. While checking prices to replace an expired one I came across the fact that KIDDE was recalling a huge number of them.

I had 3 of them, all were included in the recall. 1 of them was expired, the other 2 were within a year or two of expiration.

The recall process is pretty easy, you have to go to the Kidde website, input the model and serial number and your information. Within about a week, I received 3 new extinguishers at no charge.

You do have to return the old recalled ones, and they include packaging and Fed Ex instructions to do so.

This process saved me about $130 that it would have cost to replace expired ones, plus it gets rid of ones that may malfunction at the worst times.

If you have any of these look into the recall

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall, Identification Guide | Kidde
https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/support/product-alerts/recall-kidde-fire-extinguisher/

Last edited by cv540; 04/26/22.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks.

Retired cat herder.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Ttt

-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

I had a recalled one in my broken down old Taco, as well as stuck on the side of tool cart.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kids shouldn't even be playng with fire extinguishers.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the heads up & link. It's the first I heard of it. Got one that sits 2 ft. from where I type this. Checked it and it's not affected.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for heads up. Mine are not affected.

GOA
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Several years ago Kidde had recall .....they even up graded several I had that there was no replacement.......

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

In recent years, had two different Kidde recalls. Both involved the smaller variety extinguishers. Same procedure with serial numbers and production codes. Kidde sent replacements fairly quickly, and I never had to send back the recalled extinguishers.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for this.

IC B3

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by oldhunter49

In recent years, had two different Kidde recalls. Both involved the smaller variety extinguishers. Same procedure with serial numbers and production codes. Kidde sent replacements fairly quickly, and I never had to send back the recalled extinguishers.

I contemplated not sending them back as 2 still had a couple years before expiration. Looked into the reason for the recall. When triggered the entire nozzle and handle shoot upward out the metal body and up into whatever is in the way. I really don't want a fire extinguisher to the face when I'm trying to put out a fire. Was glad to send them back and not gave junk laying around or fight with the dump people about accepting then

-George Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cv540
Originally Posted by oldhunter49

I contemplated not sending them back as 2 still had a couple years before expiration. Looked into the reason for the recall. When triggered the entire nozzle and handle shoot upward out the metal body and up into whatever is in the way. I really don't want a fire extinguisher to the face when I'm trying to put out a fire. Was glad to send them back and not gave junk laying around or fight with the dump people about accepting then

I worked at a safety supply warehouse a year after I graduated HS. Was just working place to place to see what I wanted to do. We sold and serviced fire extinguishers and tested systems etc.

The one we wouldn't sell or service was Kidde. Mostly because the model most people bought were the ones with plastic valve assemblies. They leak and go bad or wouldn't hold a charge upon refill. People come back complaining that we recharged it a week ago and it's out already. Plastic sucks.

We sold Amerex and Badger and I'd like Ansul (ended up working for them after I was married for a year) as well.

Get the biggest ones you can handle because they go quick too.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We have Amerex 10 lb at work. Possibly a couple hundred of them.

We also have a contracted service company. I was able to buy a couple of the 10 lb ABC from the service co. Used, but reconditioned, very inexpensive.

Turn them upside down once or twice per year, smack em with a rubber mallet to make sure the chemical has not clumped. When it comes time to recondition the extinguisher again, the same outfit will take care of it or take it as a trade in.

One stays jusr inside the door to the gun/reloading room. The other lives in the utility, six feet from the kitchen range.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
We have Amerex 10 lb at work. Possibly a couple hundred of them.

We also have a contracted service company. I was able to buy a couple of the 10 lb ABC from the service co. Used, but reconditioned, very inexpensive.

Turn them upside down once or twice per year, smack em with a rubber mallet to make sure the chemical has not clumped. When it comes time to recondition the extinguisher again, the same outfit will take care of it or take it as a trade in.

One stays jusr inside the door to the gun/reloading room. The other lives in the utility, six feet from the kitchen range.

I do the same as well with the mallet. The powder in there settles and gets hard - won't go up the syphon so a good shake and whack once in a while can't hurt to stir it up a little.

Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 46 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,662
Posts18,512,891
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.