Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i think Hanco is joke`n a little Rem.700`s shoot very well , thats why they are part of the Cadillac group .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
HR IC

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by pete53
i think Hanco is joke`n a little Rem.700`s shoot very well , thats why they are part of the Cadillac group .

Remington 700 Custom Shop, 300 Win Mag.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Maybe not perfect,

but the price was right

no complaints from the critters it's perforated.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So it looks like this thread is turning into a Rank Choice vote .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This may sound silly but I've had great success with the Ruger actions. I've had about 10 or 11 of them from the tang safety M77 to the M77 Mk ll. Every single one has fed and ejected super reliably from the magazines with all cartridges from the top to the bottom. I have a mix of both short (308) and long (3006) and have rebarrelled some and they still fed super reliably with the new cartridge. They are all steel and strong as. They are maybe not as refined as some fancy rifles but they work. All they require is a trigger job, which is minor. I like them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A-series Sakos.

I'm sorry, what was the question again? No matter, Sako, A-series, carry on.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 458Win

Phil - is your 30-06 also a Winchester?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only perfect action is the accurate one. Period......

RAVENS & WOLVES
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not true. That Savage may be accurate as all get out but if it fails to feed at the needed moment where might you be then?

The way life should be.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
greedubya , that is a fine looking Custom Remington 700 ! > very worthy of the Classic Cadillac group !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dakota 76 Pete Grissell mountain rifle in 7mm-08

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure like my Bighorn TL3 and Origins. Really slick actions with a modular design and tight tolerances so I can order bbl's without sending anything to a smith.

I wouldn't call them perfect, but they are certainly very nice.

I always loved the Pre 64 M70 for its claw extractor and fixed blade ejector as well as the way the trigger was designed.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jerry Fisher/Tom Burgess

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Browning BBR

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 458Win

Yep.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Jerry Fisher/Tom Burgess

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That is a great pic.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
40X

It is just a 700.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always felt that the best action for rough field use was a minimally altered Mauser 98. The best action for a varmint or terget rifle was a Remington 700 and the best action for a hunting /target rifle was a Model 70. Today, there are a whole bunch of incredibly well made custom actions which changes things a bit.
I always thought the BRNO ZKK was an excellent action; until you got back to the trigger. The Model 70 is excellent except for the breeching.
There are numerous actions with desirable features. I like the angled locking lug seats on the P14 and the safety on the same action. The Mauser breech is nearly perfect.
To me, the perfect action (for a hunting rifle) would have the Mauser breech, extractor, and bolt stop. Brno ZKK bolt and ejector, Winchester footprint, and integral scope bases for commonly available rings. The trigger should be a two stage Mauser for the guys who want reliability above all or an enclosed, adjustable type for those who want a light pull and are willing to make the trade. The safety should be Winchester. The action should fit the cartridge. The action should be precisely made and well heat treated. Tough but hard enough to resist galling and to operate smoothly. I don't know everything which is available today but the action which comes closest would be my choice.
For target only, my choice would be a Remington clone because they freakin' work! GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always felt that the best action for rough field use was a minimally altered Mauser 98. The best action for a varmint or target rifle was a Remington 700 and the best action for a hunting /target rifle was a Model 70. Today, there are a whole bunch of incredibly well made custom actions which changes things a bit.
I always thought the BRNO ZKK was an excellent action; until you got back to the trigger. The Model 70 is excellent except for the breeching.
There are numerous actions with desirable features. I like the angled locking lug seats on the P14 and the safety on the same action. The Mauser breech is nearly perfect.
To me, the perfect action (for a hunting rifle) would have the Mauser breech, extractor, and bolt stop. Brno ZKK bolt and ejector, Winchester footprint, and integral scope bases for commonly available rings. The trigger should be a two stage Mauser for the guys who want reliability above all or an enclosed, adjustable type for those who want a light pull and are willing to make the trade. The safety should be Winchester. The action should fit the cartridge. The action should be precisely made and well heat treated. Tough but hard enough to resist galling and to operate smoothly. I don't know everything which is available today but the action which comes closest would be my choice.
For target only, my choice would be a Remington clone because they freakin' work! GD

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
grey dog, I was about to post much the same opinion about the M98. IMO everything since is just tweaking.... putting florets on steak.

As a fumble finger, I always hated working on Sakos with all those itty-bitty bolt parts, purportedly to "smooth up the bolt" for pussies to use. smile

Last edited by las; 05/02/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading through this thread I am convinced once again that the harder we try to define the perfect action the more we realize there is no such thing.... at least at the moment...

At the very least, what would be a perfect action for one person will not be for the next guy... I know one thing- I've had so little trouble with the Remingtons, Winchesters, Mausers, and Savages I've shot over the years I've decided it really isn't important to me any more. Hand me any one of them in the morning heading out of hunting camp and I would hunt just as well and confidently not knowing what it is as long as it is sighted in....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (264mag, 44mc, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 17 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.