Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17207867 04/30/22
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I need a scope that tops out at 10x and the few I'm considering are:

1. S&B PM II 10x42mm (probably used): good glass, shortish and light, good FOV, but backwards elevation with simple MRAD reticles. I generally am not a huge S&B PM II fan (used 4-16x and 5-25x and don't love them) but this scope has a very good reputation.

2. NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm: short, light, adjustable parallax and illum, but SFP and only has MIL-R. I like that I can lock the diopter. I have had both the smaller objective models and regret selling them. I wouldn't even be making this post if I still had the 32mm. If it were FFP with a tree I also wouldn't be asking about anything else. I'm admittedly a NF fan.

3. EOTech Vudu 2.5-10x44mm: same size and weight as my NX8 4-32x (so it's really too big for a 10x) but is on the list because I can get it with H59 reticle. I know some don't like the reticle and I don't care, I do like it. I care what you think of the scope in general because I've not seen one.

4. SWFA SS HD 3-9x42mm: short, light, and generally held as a lot of scope for the money. I've used various SS models here and there and I like the Mil-Quad. They always track but I've never been blown away by the glass in the classic line. That said, I've never used their HD line except a 5-25x I tested for a friend.

If you have experience with these, good or bad, I'm all ears. Better yet would be if you have used two or more and can compare them. I like FFP but it isn't a deal breaker or the NF wouldn't be on the table. I don't require a tree but if the Vudu is a good scope the H59 could seal the deal for me. I don't care about illuminated reticles. I need a mid range optic for a .233 gasser that has good glass, good depth of focus, tracks since I may dial it, and is easy to get behind. I don't really care about the low end mag as I only use it to get on target then I mag in. It's going to have a RDS for anything close and fast.

What's up for discussion is up top; I'm not getting a Burris/Vortex/Athlon/etc 2.5-10x. I've had and like some Trijicon but not sold on the Credo (but might consider a compelling argument because I can get a tree) and I'm not getting any 1-10x. It also can't be something over 10x.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a SWFA 10X on a couple rifles and I like it a lot. Glass obviously isn't going to be Alpha glass but it is very good in my experience. The tree on them is excellent for long range sighting and the reticle adjustments are also excellent and right on the money...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would give the SWFA 10x a shot. Good scopes that are rugged and perform.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1) Schit erector travel,schit reticle and no parallax. Hint.

2) SFP and schit reticle. Hint.

3) Never shot one,so can't know. Hint.

4) No parallax and I cain't LOVE it. Hint.

Fhuqk the RDS and go 2-12x BTR Gen2 Lit Bitch. Locking turrets,parallax,FFP,KILLING reticle,zero stop,huge erector travel and amazingly adept and versatile. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I generally don't agree with Stick on things, and his wording of his opinions. But, As a Swfa fanboy my self the scopes he are proposing make a interesting case. The reticle looks very usable and all the features look good.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Big Stick
1) Schit erector travel,schit reticle and no parallax. Hint.

2) SFP and schit reticle. Hint.

3) Never shot one,so can't know. Hint.

4) No parallax and I cain't LOVE it. Hint.

Fhuqk the RDS and go 2-12x BTR Gen2 Lit Bitch. Locking turrets,parallax,FFP,KILLING reticle,zero stop,huge erector travel and amazingly adept and versatile. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

Hint..............

Can't be over 10x, hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntHecticPeeformance,

Your HILARIOUS Fhuqktard "stipulations" have less than ZERO bearing on Reality...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that I don't enjoy your Dumbfhuqktitude,if only because you are assuredly doing the "BEST" that you can,with what Amazingly little you "have" to "work" with. You CLUELESS Droolers are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
When you are the match director you can remove the stipulations, hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntHecticPeeformance,

You AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqk,choices are easy,when there are none...you "lucky" kchunt". Hint. Congratulations?!?

10x MQ by fhuqking lightyears. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My preferred scope is the SWFA 10x, mil,mil. I have several of them and have used them early, late, near and far.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick, I take it you have tested and seem to like the Athlon? I might have to try one of those. I love the performance of the SWFAs, but don't like the bulk. The BTR looks a little more compact.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
KchuntHecticPeeformance,

Your HILARIOUS Fhuqktard "stipulations" have less than ZERO bearing on Reality...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that I don't enjoy your Dumbfhuqktitude,if only because you are assuredly doing the "BEST" that you can,with what Amazingly little you "have" to "work" with. You CLUELESS Droolers are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Stick is that a Mod 70? Knowing your fondness of said platform I was just curious.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance
I need a scope that tops out at 10x and the few I'm considering are:

1. S&B PM II 10x42mm (probably used): good glass, shortish and light, good FOV, but backwards elevation with simple MRAD reticles. I generally am not a huge S&B PM II fan (used 4-16x and 5-25x and don't love them) but this scope has a very good reputation.

2. NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm: short, light, adjustable parallax and illum, but SFP and only has MIL-R. I like that I can lock the diopter. I have had both the smaller objective models and regret selling them. I wouldn't even be making this post if I still had the 32mm. If it were FFP with a tree I also wouldn't be asking about anything else. I'm admittedly a NF fan.

3. EOTech Vudu 2.5-10x44mm: same size and weight as my NX8 4-32x (so it's really too big for a 10x) but is on the list because I can get it with H59 reticle. I know some don't like the reticle and I don't care, I do like it. I care what you think of the scope in general because I've not seen one.

4. SWFA SS HD 3-9x42mm: short, light, and generally held as a lot of scope for the money. I've used various SS models here and there and I like the Mil-Quad. They always track but I've never been blown away by the glass in the classic line. That said, I've never used their HD line except a 5-25x I tested for a friend.

If you have experience with these, good or bad, I'm all ears. Better yet would be if you have used two or more and can compare them. I like FFP but it isn't a deal breaker or the NF wouldn't be on the table. I don't require a tree but if the Vudu is a good scope the H59 could seal the deal for me. I don't care about illuminated reticles. I need a mid range optic for a .233 gasser that has good glass, good depth of focus, tracks since I may dial it, and is easy to get behind. I don't really care about the low end mag as I only use it to get on target then I mag in. It's going to have a RDS for anything close and fast.

What's up for discussion is up top; I'm not getting a Burris/Vortex/Athlon/etc 2.5-10x. I've had and like some Trijicon but not sold on the Credo (but might consider a compelling argument because I can get a tree) and I'm not getting any 1-10x. It also can't be something over 10x.

You'd consider a fixed ten, but not a SFP ten? That's strange. Why can it not be over 10x? If you'll settle for a fixed 10x, but not a FFP variable that goes above ten? That doesn't make sense. Expand your list.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I did consider a SFP 10x: the NXS is SFP. As stated above, the rules of the match stipulate 10x. I know the rules, I shoot a lot and understand what I need, I need some experience based evaluations of optics that meet my needs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I did consider a SFP 10x: the NXS is SFP. As stated above, the rules of the match stipulate 10x. I know the rules, I shoot a lot and understand what I need, I need some experience based evaluations of optics that meet my needs.

I didn't see where you stated it was for a specific match with rules requiring 10x. My mistake if you stated that in the OP. The reality is with a ten, you're not really going to use it at less than ten for holds. 10x FFP can result in a unusable reticle at lower powers. It can get plain hard to see the sub-tensions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just sold my PM II 10x42 to buy another NXS Compact- they have become my favorite hunting scope and work well for my style of hunting. I have one older one with a mil-dot reticle that has racked up a number of dead critters. Also have a couple with the MOAR reticle that I also like for my hunting needs.

As far as glass, when I compared the S&B to the Compact for my eyes anyway I really couldn't see a difference. And at 20 ozs with all it offers, there is a lot to like about the NXS Compact.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

what is the match your shooting?

I ask because a match of various yardage targets that is a timed course of fire might bite you if you need to adjust focus (parallax) during timed fire.

GOA
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

what is the match your shooting?

I ask because a match of various yardage targets that is a timed course of fire might bite you if you need to adjust focus (parallax) during timed fire.

That's any match. There are a couple here that require 10x or less and one is the big show. If you know, you know.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an SWFA 10X Mil Mil on an accurate AR-15 that I have used in matches to 600 yards. It worked pretty well for me in that context but I'm not really a long range shooter. The glass is decent but not equal to high end scopes. Dialing has been reliable for me. I think it's a good scope for what it is. Reticle is fine for targets which is what I have used it for. For hunting I would want a variable, because if an animal pops up at 20 yards you need to find the target quickly.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That it's a "shooting" scope and not a hunting scope makes a big difference.

From your list I'd go with #4 for the reliable adjustments, excellent reticle, and FFP.

I use a 6x42 PMII a lot but haven't used the 10x version. For a hunting scope, the 6x PMII is my favorite and first choice for hunting.....for a "shooting" scope I'd take the 6x SWFA over it any day. The .5 mil holdoffs are worth it when shooting. I'd have to guess the same would hold for the 10x versions. ...so I'd go outside your list with the SWFA 10x. Parallax, reliable adjustments, and excellent reticle. Simple and likely the best fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 13 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,833
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.