Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Hi,
I am considering a food plot on some family land but have no experience other than some "throw and go" attempts several years ago that went poorly. I also tried some oats that someone advised me would do just fine after I used roundup, which also went poorly. I'm convinced that I need to turn the soil for better seed to soil contact, so my question is what rototiller to go with. I do not have a tractor or quad. I am looking into walk-behind type rear tine tillers. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
kstockfo

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you’re going to be breaking sod whatever kind of walk behind you get will kill you before you ever get to plant anything.
All foolishness aside, if you’re determined to go that route then by all means get one with times that will rotate either direction.
Running them in reverse with the drive wheels going forward will be slow but it will break up sod better with the least manhandling of the machine involved.

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How big an area?

Maybe worth paying someone to do it.

Rednecks like beer money. 😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO- get somebody with a tractor and a
disc to bust it up for you quickly and you can
move on to the chore of planting your plot
and not have the worry of equipment that
would otherwise be gathering cobwebs.
Or rent

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'd rent a rear tine the first time you do it. I have a small kill plot and even after mowing and killing the weeds it was still a workout to till 1/2 acre and it beat up the tiller pretty good. Now that I've been doing it a few years I bought my own Earthquake brand rear tiller, it works pretty good.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99
JMHO- get somebody with a tractor and a
disc to bust it up for you quickly and you can
move on to the chore of planting your plot
and not have the worry of equipment that
would otherwise be gathering cobwebs.
Or rent

Since you don’t have a tractor, this is your huckleberry!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing “walk behind” you should possibly consider is a seed spreader. We successfully plant up to one acre plots with a Scott’s hand held model. Clover, turnips, chicory and other brassicas, oats.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Buy a Ford 8n and attachments for under 3 grand

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pay someone, even a small rototiller can work you to death, especially on ground that hasnt been turned over before.

I bought a used tractor with implements a few months back, I'm already second guessing it, sure was easier just to call my tractor guy to go do something and paypal him some money afterwards.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If the plot has any size at all, I'd hire it done.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on how big of an area you're looking to do. I agree with hiring it out to someone w a tractor if it's a big job. If it's 1/2 acre or smaller you could rent a rear tine (Definitely go with rear tine, they're a lot easier on you) from HD or see if you can pick one up. I know HD sells their used tillers for a reasonable price some times. Also BCS makes a great unit but they can be hard to come across and pricey.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Rent small tractor and disc or pay someone

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you wait on it till about 2 days after it rains tills easier and better....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a troy-bilt "Horse" tiller (rear tine) to work a 3000 Sq Ft garden... It's a workout... Gets a little harder every yr... To bust sod you have to set the till depth shallow (like 2 or 3 inches) or the machine will lurch forward at tine speed, Yanking the controls right out of your hands... So count on making 2 or 3 passes, Increasing depth each time... You need at least 8 hp, More is better... In your situation, I'd rent one first to see how it goes before spending $$$... I'm starting to look around for a decent older garden tractor with a tiller attachment...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 05/05/22.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hire someone with a Kubita or small tractor that can plow it first and come back with a roto-tiller. Before he tills it; broadcast some 10-10-10 fertilizer for $1 a pound. 1 pound should do 100 sq feet and would provide a good start for any seeding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Troy Built Pony, and a smaller one, I think Junior? Anyway I bought a 3 point tiller for my Kubota, and I started the Troys a couple times in 15 years.
They are pretty tough to use if you don't finesse them. I generally keep the throttle down, and pull up, instead of push down. Still pretty hard to do. When I was a pup, my Dad had a nursery, so I ran a Horse and Pony model all the time. Anyway it is tough on your back.
If the fall you can sow field turnips. They will grow and then rot. That rot will really break up the soild, and release nutrients. So to make spring easier, plant fall turnips.

https://www.no-tillfarmer.com/articles/1249-kansas-no-tiller-uses-turnips-for-cover

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
About an hour into doing any food plot, you'll wish you'd just gotten someone with a tractor to help... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I concur with what was posted. That said, with some proper planning, and a bit of luck with the weather there's really no reason to turn dirt to grow a food plot. Especially if it's an area small enough that one would consider using a walk behind tiller on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems most food plots are over a half acre... don't even think about doing something that large with a walk behind unless you really enjoy using up a lot of your free time, having a sore back , and working on a yard machine all of your spare time... either hire someone to do it and it will be completely done in an afternon, or look at getting a used tractor with a tiller attachment . Even one of the older small garden tractors like the Cub Cadet or similar with a small rototiller attachment will be a useful machine to have down the road and will get the job done with little wear and tear on your body.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don't overcomplicate. Also unless it's super small plot skip the walk behind tiller.

You'll be way better off to rent or borrow a small tractor and disc after spraying. You do not need to turn soil rather bust up the top layer a little and smooth /compact.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,058
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.