Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Irving D: 41! I laughed when I read your answer.
Try some high altitude Elk Hunting (8,000'!) when you are 74!
Did that last year.
You learn to deal with the terrain, elements and elevation with a much more patient regimen (i.e. - go slower!).
See you in 33 years - he-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am only a year older than you OP....you're plenty young enough. Barring health issues which it doesn't sound as if that is the case here, it is all mental once you stretch your legs a bit and make that hike a few more times.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you're from a low state, high altitude elk country can really hammer you. A lot of guys go to CO and crap out. Here in Idaho, it's high, but not like CO. We usually hunt around 7 to 9k with many good hunts lower than that. When you top 60, getting in shape for 8k can be a chore but 10+ can be impossible.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Let see. Hoping to draw buck archery here in Co and rifle bull tag. I may be old at 80 but I'm not dead.

USMC
Life Member VFW
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ill be 76 in 2 months. I do pretty good, but I have noticed that if I slack off on the exercises and hiking it's harder to get it back. I try to stay in good shape year around. Old age ain't for sissies.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old age and weight gain can be insidious. I'm 64 and still working for another year or so.

But... I had a recent knee issue that has slowed me down a bunch. I walk less. So I've gained weight and the knee hurts more. So I walk less.

I know what I gotta do, but ...

The Dead song, Touch of Grey has a line that says "It's even worse than it appears"...

Word...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm 72 this year. Planning to hunt elk for years to come. I don't hunt as fast as I once did, but I'm persistent. Good luck with getting in shape. Not only will you hunt, but life will be better overall!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I just turned 41😅 yeah my hats off to you and rockchuck and the other senior members that get it done

I solo hunted a bull elk in the Glade Park herd at 49 with a fused ankle, and found out a day after I got back I was positive for COVID. That elk hunt flat out kicked my a$$! Literally exhausted everyday of the hunt, and it was really difficult ro drag myself out of the cot every morning. I didn't find the bull of my dreams, but I got a bull the last morning. OnX said I hiked about 40 miles in five days of hunting.

I was worried back in Sep 2015 when I shattered my ankle I was done hunting in the mountains. A year of missed work, an ankle that doesnt flex, and not able to help my daughter on her first elk hunt because I wasnt ready in Nov 2016 and was told to stay at the truck, put me into a pretty deep depression for awhile. I managed to pull myself out of the funk I was in. I just had to realize I wasnt going to make it back to 100% again as far as my mobility, but I could be 100% of what mobility I had left.

It's all about the "WANT", and if you want it bad enough you'll get an elk hunt done. Just don't give up mentally, and you'll be okay. I sure felt accomplished when I got my bull back to camp and no one can take that away from me.

However, I don't want to solo hunt elk again if I can help it!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll be 61 next month. I still backpack, hike, etc., and as of this past year, still do solo backpack elk hunts (wilderness area elk hunts on my own two feet are the only ones I'm interested in). I've done enough elk hunting that I've lost the vast majority of interest I had in doing it - life moves on. However, I plan on staying in "elk hunting shape" for the remainder of my life, even if I decide to quit elk hunting. But, at least for a while, I know what will happen - fall will arrive, and that desire will somehow resurrect, even if a bit diminished!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I've never elk hunted but I have heard a few bugles in the woods and I think the sound of that would be enough to get me out each year.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
65 this year. Last year torn meniscus and then just when better a chance of cartilage broke. No hunting for me last year. Now I'm in week 12 of a knee replacement. Not going as good as I would like. Didn't draw a tag this year either. Now thinking that may be a blessing as this knee may not be ready. But need to decide if I want to put in for a cow tag. Dang....at my age I hate to miss another season so think ill put in. Plus it will help with getting in shape mentally. Oh to be 40 and have the time to hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 73 and one of my partners is 76. The last 2 years we've opted for a late cow hunt in an area that's a lot flatter than where we've hunted for the last 20 years. 2 years ago 5 of us got 4 cows and last year 3 of us got 2 cows and were darn lucky to find those. It's a wintering area and because of the warm fall, they didn't move down until Dec. On the last day of Nov, we found a herd of 9 with 2 cows and were able to get them both. We had to walk 1.5 miles to get at them but it was all flat desert, no climbing at all. That's much easier on old legs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I remember whipping myself into shape for high elevation (for me anyways) hunting with a month of focused effort. Not no more, and not for a long time.

For many years it's been 5 miles a day, 6 days a week up and down a mountain trail packing a 30lb slab of iron on my back and a Garand sans sling. That Garand makes using *any* rifle during hunting season seem like one of them new-fangled "mountain" rifles. Coupled with that are pushups, then shed the backpack and crank out crunches (unless the trailhead is sloppy wet, then I do those back at the shack).

I like to have 1,000 miles in by the time I head out for elk. I use up a pair and a half of boot soles each year. Just turned 68.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This may be my last year to seriously elk hunt. Worn out knees, arthritis, side effects from cancer treatments, and Father Time have all taken their toll on my old frame. My wife says that I said that every year for the past 10 years. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
I'll be 61 next month. I still backpack, hike, etc., and as of this past year, still do solo backpack elk hunts (wilderness area elk hunts on my own two feet are the only ones I'm interested in). I've done enough elk hunting that I've lost the vast majority of interest I had in doing it - life moves on. However, I plan on staying in "elk hunting shape" for the remainder of my life, even if I decide to quit elk hunting. But, at least for a while, I know what will happen - fall will arrive, and that desire will somehow resurrect, even if a bit diminished!

I think Brad & T Inman, B Winters and others nailed their posts.

I fully hear your concern & actually just responded to your original post. I’m 51 now. I have luckily (fortunately) had fitness in my ethos as a Scandinavian for my whole life - BUT - I’ve got a life long hunt mate friend that has struggled with being in & out of shape due to his career path. He stays positive & does his absolute best every day which is super hard & very welcome in my camp. I’m a huge believer in being mentally positive & having a fun time ahead of current physical limitations. Cheerfulness counts more than you know.

Hunting slowly is not a liability - it could be used to your benefit. Go as slow as you need, ignore us on the internet and do your personal thing. Just never, never quit hunting. Gradually put yourself into the ‘spot’ that you’ve researched on the map.

A thought that crosses my mind often is that being in the field - regardless of being in the ideal spot - will over time provide you with an opportunity. Stay afield - as far as your personal limits allow - then stay 15 minutes more.

We’ll cheer you on! Go get’em.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 05/12/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Everything has to be modified when we age and it becomes increasingly important to eat healthy , as for me, not being able to work the physical jobs I once did, my muscle mass has dwindled. While my weight is manageable , it still needs to be moved up the mountain with wimpy muscles and joints. Old injuries take their toll!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The difference in my abilities from 64 to 68 are marked. The slide is logarithmic, not simply arithmatic.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
....... I know what will happen - fall will arrive, and that desire will somehow resurrect, even if a bit diminished!
I'm a couple of years behind you and this seems to happen to me now every year. I just can't seem to give it up. I'm sure nature and time will tell me when it is time. It drives my wife nuts that I still do the solo backpack hunting for a week to ten days at a time. She has received much comfort from my implementation of the Garmin InReach Explorer+.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks the hunts well over a year a way. I figured I hiked this all the time when I was a kid, and I'm still healthy amd it shouldn't be a problem. My knees, back, and ankles had other ideas. Now I know where I am at physically

After you posting that picture in LD’s azz thread I have no sympathy. 😁😂🤣🤣

He went over yonder way
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Heeler
Thanks the hunts well over a year a way. I figured I hiked this all the time when I was a kid, and I'm still healthy amd it shouldn't be a problem. My knees, back, and ankles had other ideas. Now I know where I am at physically

After you posting that picture in LD’s azz thread I have no sympathy. 😁😂🤣🤣
I wouldn’t either🤣. I had planned on a elk or moose hunt for my 40th my friend talked me into fishing Panama instead I’m glad he did

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 58 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.