-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have them on my bow and handgun because I can't focus close enough to use open sights or the peep on the bow string. They work great in those applications but my rifles all wear scopes 1-4, 1.5-6, 2-12 a lot better for me.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think that durability would be an issue because they have pretty well proven themselves on large handguns and in close quarter combat situations. I think it might come down to how you hunt deer. Jump shooting then sure or shorter range open areas. That isn't the way a lot of us hunt however. I hunt second growth or cut over over thick security cover. Deer are either feeding or sneaking and what I'm looking for is a hole through the brush where I can get a clean shot through to the deer's vital area. That takes some magnification and a crosshair for more precise results. Longer range shots happen and there again magnification. Antler restrictions, again magnification. This last season's meat buck wasn't exactly trophy class and while I thought I saw antlers at 4x, 6x confirmed it even better. Make mine a 1.5-6x42 and I'll keep the RMR on my 1911.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tried one on a 358 Winchester and while it works, it wasn't my first choice. so it came back off.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've been using an Aimpoint Micro for years on a variety of rifles that include a Marlin 444. Fastest sighting system on the market imo. Once you get used to them you will become confident even on longer shots. I killed a dall ram at just over 300 yards with the micro on a 338 federal.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
JMO, but….A good LPV is better, in all but a very few scenarios….and just about all big game hunting scenarios I know of. Sure, RDs can work and be fast….but LPVs can be so close in fast as to be splitting hairs, far more precise in all light, far better in low light, and infinitely more versatile and precise. RDs can be VERY useful in certain applications, for weight, size, eye relief, etc. and some very special needs with some tactical applications. They’re probably finding their best niche on pistols and shotguns lately. Very few upper tier military units are tied to red dots exclusively these days. Many run at least as many LPVs or prismatics, with illuminated (or not) reticles that do everything a RD can do, and is better suited for everything else. LPVs can do everything that RD can do and a ton more. If you have a special purpose where they fit well, then go nuts with a RD. However, they have limited versatility when compared to many other things these days….especially for hunting. JMO…….but I’ve hunted them, and have used them professionally since the late 90s…..but we’ve mostly moved to RD alternatives in the last 10 years, though I imagine they’ll always be around for certain uses and groups.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I also like the notion that an RDS removes any concern about eye relief on hard kickers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now that is just cool, especially for us old guys.

Old guy, old guns.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've used them to great effect on a Remington 870 12 gauge, and a home protection type Pistol Caliber rifle, but not on a deer rifle. They are really slick on a turkey gun.....makes it easy to only hit the head and neck with a real tight choke.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/22/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, for many years now. I’ve had a Bushnell Holosight on my S&W 500 mag since the day I bought it 18 years ago. Probably close to 1000 rounds through it and holds zero wonderfully. Circle on target is around 2.75”, 50 yards off back porch rail. Shot 3 of my biggest whitetail bucks with it at ranges from 66 to 83 yards. I also have one on a TC Contender in .35 Rem. which is deadly accurate and harvested many deer. I have a Tasco Optima clone on my S&W 610 Classic 10mm revolver and have had good luck with it’s accuracy and durability. Never had one on a hunting rifle, but durability shouldn’t be an issue with a quality unit. Good luck on your decision and happy hunting.

Doc_Holidude

Attached Images
191015.jpg (9.56 KB, 147 downloads)
IMG_1355.jpg (5.98 KB, 195 downloads)

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had a fast fire on my turkey gun for years. It makes shooting from awkward positions and from the off hand really easy. I like it so much that I'm going to give one a try on a rifle for deer hunting next year. I put a Primary Arms knock off of an Aimpoint red dot on a Browning BAR and am liking it a lot. The gun will be used while running dogs in thick Flatwoods in Florida. If I like it like I think I will, I'll buy a better one and put this one back on an AR where it came from. It adds hardly any weight and is quick to get on target. I'm sure it's not as precise as a scope and doesn't help any in low light, but shots will almost always be 150 yards or less and we don't usually turn out the hounds until the sun is up good. I've been able to get groups around 2" or a little less, so its precise enough. I have other rifles to still hunt with, so I think it will be perfect.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Yep, for many years now. I’ve had a Bushnell Holosight on my S&W 500 mag since the day I bought it 18 years ago. Probably close to 1000 rounds through it and holds zero wonderfully. Circle on target is around 2.75”, 50 yards off back porch rail. Shot 3 of my biggest whitetail bucks with it at ranges from 66 to 83 yards. I also have one on a TC Contender in .35 Rem. which is deadly accurate and harvested many deer. I have a Tasco Optima clone on my S&W 610 Classic 10mm revolver and have had good luck with it’s accuracy and durability. Never had one on a hunting rifle, but durability shouldn’t be an issue with a quality unit. Good luck on your decision and happy hunting.

Doc_Holidude
[Linked Image]

Good shooting, Doc.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If you have astigmatism,
The new primary arms mini prisms have the longest eye relief/largest eye box I’ve seen on a prism yet. VERY lengthy sweet spot, and more than enough for most applications.

More opinion: RDS are my least favorite optic for low light hunting. They’re great on turkey guns and certain defense use.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 04/23/22.
H
H
I've done this very thing with my new Traditions Outlander G3 in 44mag. I've installed a Vortex Sparc II. First outing to the range with my handloads of 265 Hornadys at 50 yards was very promising. Remains to be seen how it works in the field. I also have a Leupold VX3i in 1.5-5 that I'm going to sight in as an alternative, giving me the option to swap the sights depending on hunting conditions.

I was getting consistent groups of 1-1.25" once I got it sighted in, BTW.

Last edited by HarpBoy; 05/11/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I recently got the 1x prism from Primary Arms.
For hunting, think the 3X proly better

Can use the doughnut of the 1x kinda sorta like a reddot, but still more critical of eye placement since it isnt a red dot sight.

I think a RDS or LPVO the way to go.
The prism sight is a " tweener ".

A reflex sight is smaller and sits lower, make it more usable w no need for stock modification. Can clock.em as back up system to scope or irons.

Tube style RDS easier to find the dot on handgun.
Holosun has a reflex w outer ring to help w that.
Unfortunately my tolerance for Chinese optics has been exceeded.

No more.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/11/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a Sig Romeo-5 on an AR-15 that I carry for hogs in the river bottoms. My longest shot was on a coyote at about 175 yards., He interrupted my stalk on a sow with piglets so he died instead...

I use a Leupold FireDot4 2-7 x 33 variable scope for most of my AR work. Too bad they quit making that reticle in that scope. The regular FireDot Duplex is good, but not as quick, IMHO.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.