Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Never owned or used these. Can’t find a set of 223AI dies except Lee. Good to go til I find some Redding’s?

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have several sets of lee and never had an issue.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lee dies are just fine. I did have a couple that had a burr ring at the joint of the neck and shoulder, which came out with a couple of seconds of buffing. It will work just fine.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My philosophy is that a set of Lee PaceSetter dies, is the cost of a box of premium bullets...

RCBS dies are close to the same, along with Hornady and a host of others...

A box of bullets, you pull the trigger 20 times and its gone...

the Same $40 or $50 spent on a set of dies, will last you a life time, and when you give them to another, their life times also.

almost in ANY caliber I shoot ( which is a lot of them)... I have at least a set of Lee's and RCBS dies... and often another set, either Hornady or Redding.... each has certain features that come in handier than one of the others at times...

but if truth be told, I find myself reaching for the Lee's a lot more often than any other manufacturer....

Dies are your cheapest expense in the reloading world....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My only complaint with Lee dies is with the rubber O ring on the lock rings. I have a hard time getting them to be adjusted the same each time I put them on the press. I've replaced them with Hornady split lock rings. Problem solved.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for the input. Not a lot of choice since nothing else is available that I've found.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jonesmd4
My only complaint with Lee dies is with the rubber O ring on the lock rings. I have a hard time getting them to be adjusted the same each time I put them on the press. I've replaced them with Hornady split lock rings. Problem solved.
Lee has recently started to offer the split lock rings as well. If using a Lee breech-lock type press, the dies are very easy to switch out if you install the breech-lock bushings on the dies. You can leave them permanently installed in the bushing and swap the die out in the press in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds with no need to adjust. MUCH easier when using a single stage press. All of my dies except for .41 Mag are Lee. I really like the "powder through" charging feature of their case mouth belling die that enables me to add the powder charge while the cartridge case is in the die. When charged, I remove the case from the die, glance to verify the powder charge, and place a bullet on it before putting it into my loading block. I think using this feature is a good safety method to avoid double charges. Lee dies are what I started with, so I've stuck with them. Some people tend to disparage them, but I really don't know why.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jonesmd4

I put another Lee lock ring on die with "O" ring up, set the die and bring top lock ring down on bottom lock ring, tighten. When you remove die, this setting allows for repeatable measurement.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
A box of bullets, you pull the trigger 20 times and its gone...

I get bullets in boxes of 50 or 100 - it's much more economical smirk

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (2500HD, 808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 11 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.