Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A RSI Stainless/walnut mannlicher stocked 250 Savage?

or a 1A model?

My vote, is for the RSI. I think a SS/Walnut RSI would be too cool and Lipsey's would have something REALLY unique if this is the caliber for '08.

That is my .02. I would put a deposit on one before they came out, but a 1A, I may or may not buy. Like the 1A's, but the 250 seems like it begs for a smaller gun, hence Ruger's 77 Ultra-Light in the past or Winchester 70 20" Synthetic matte, which also was done in 257 roberts IIRC. I had a M70 in 7/08, handy!

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Stainless/walnut RSI in 9.3x62.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would vote for a #1-AH in 250-3000. I still have the memory of "Seven Heavens" #1-AH 25-06 imbedded into my brain.

I think the re-issue of the #1-AH in 24" Blue steel will sell.

Doc

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, If given a choice, and since I already have two of the four of Lipsey's limited run in Stainless/Walnut, I think I'd rather see the continueance of the Series.

But I have never owned a #1-RSI. (For a very good reason) I, personally, find them heavy and "clubby". They don't point all that well, (at least for me...) I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they were a pound to a pound and a half lighter. That is the very beauty and attraction to the original Mannlicher-Schonauer carbines. They are light, petite, and fast handling. Unfortunately, the Rugers are NOT! (to our collective loss...) smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd rather have blued rather than stainles, especially in an RSI model. Just the ss with that design just doesn't have that clasic style to it. Regardless, I'll likely grab the .250 savage in whatever configuration it's in. Really don't like the "AH" variants though. Bbls look way to pencil thin.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Quote: "Stainless/walnut RSI in 9.3x62."

Me too!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Personally, I prefer the Browning 78, but I know there just isn't enough of them left to go around. In the RSI I too would prefer the blued model. I used to own a Ruger No.1 in the 45/70, What I really wish Ruger would do is bring back the No 3 in a RSI version. I prefer the lever on it to the No. 1.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GH,

+1 on the preference of a Mannlicher Schoenhauer over a #1 RSI. I just got my 'beater' M/S in .30-06 back from the smith's yesterday. It was bedraggled when I bought it as hunter/shooter but then I fell for it big time the longer I had it. I eventually decided a little sprucing up would make me feel less like an ax-murderer for carying it around in that condition. Anyway, after the re-bluing , the smith tried to buy it from me! Right now it looks damn good and, with a Leupold compact fixed scope in the G&H sidemount, it is still a live thing in the hands, carrying or pointing. Now, rehabbing or replacing the repaired stock is on the edge mof my mind .... Put the old girl back in serious shape.

On the subject of #1 and #3 levers, I have both in the safe but my two #3s are both in extrremely light recoiling calibers. I would bet that curl on the #3 punishes .45-70 shooters! And that thin butt stock probably needs surgical removal after using full house loads.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 10/12/07.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see we have many tastes in configurations, that's good for us, bad for planning mfg.....for Ruger, oh well, always custom route.

Where I hunt, we usually hunt out of deer stands due to landowners ways and a short bbl helps, last year my RSI snapped up and out the window when a hog popped out at 240 yds, an 85x dropped him right there, VERY little time from seeing him appear, my gun on her, and she dropped, likely the fastest I ever made a shot, I had a steady hold and glad to have the RSI's weight it does. My low wall 243 in the past was nice, easy to tote, but less steady to hold. Perhaps a lighter actioned version of Ruger's SS action with a sporter 22" would be a nice blend.....doubt they intro anything new though.

The 250 seems to have more demand than supply as you don't see many for sale in the used market from what I see. Always wanted to try that round.

To your point grasshopper, I wanted a HALL Falling block but they were discontinued, did hear later there were extraction issues, side lever? Anyway, check the small action out here:

http://martiniandhagngunmakers.com/actions.htm

maybe someday.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I second Grasshopper with the RSI feeling a bit like a club. I have a couple of Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines, and a sixties vintage Sako, all with full stocks. It is hard not to compare all others to the sleek MS carbines. The Sako ain't half bad either!

I do think the single shot RSI is a good looker though.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
How about a 20" bull barrel with a Henry forearm? Make it in 250 Sav, 257 Rob, 260 Rem, 7-08, 308, 6.5x55. Can you tell I ain't to picky on caliber?

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Grimel, how many can you supply? Ha! I would buy a 250/260/and 6.5x55, heck a 708 would be nice, more than needed. Know there are 'Bob' lovers and certainly 308, but I love heavy short steady rifles that don't walk shots easily.

I may end up with a 20-22" on my 6BR if no one buys it, can't decide if I want to give up the 100 or so fps, but likely never know it, nor game, killed a deer at 400 yds, so 100fps, not likely to lose much range/killing distance. I can only imagine the accuracy would possibly get even better with more stiffness. Contour matches the 1v and they are known to do well.

You know, a 20" is an awfully short, albeit handy lenght esp. in single shot, my RSI is, could see application esp. for group shooting and if you wanted to do in some prairie dogs...reminds me long ago Bob Milek had a 40x in 22BR, SHORT fat truck axle sized bbl, 20" IIRC. Loved it on 'dogs'

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Neither.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by 65BR
Grimel, how many can you supply? Ha! I would buy a 250/260/and 6.5x55, heck a 708 would be nice, more than needed. Know there are 'Bob' lovers and certainly 308, but I love heavy short steady rifles that don't walk shots easily.

You know, a 20" is an awfully short, albeit handy lenght esp. in single shot, my RSI is, could see application esp. for group shooting and if you wanted to do in some prairie dogs...reminds me long ago Bob Milek had a 40x in 22BR, SHORT fat truck axle sized bbl, 20" IIRC. Loved it on 'dogs'

I had a 21" 17 Rem barrel on a Contender frame as a Coyote gun (now I have a 14" Rem barrel on the same frame). Short and handy not to mention light! It was like carrying a Red Ryder around.

I like the short and fat barrels for the exact reasons you gave - no walking and steady.

I'll gladly give up 100fps for the increased handiness and pointability.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
F
F
Henry forearm.

Prefer blued

Definately a heavier than standard barrel. Or longer than the standard 22"er.

I signed up here for this gun in particular. If it's a full stock version, I will do a 250 in a custom instead.

Mark

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think since Ruger has made the SAME calibers for so long, it's time to mix up the selection, so if production time limited, perhaps they could stop production for a time on some and change the caliber selection. Limited caliber runs seem to always sell, so WHY Ruger won't change things up is beyond me.

Nowadays you almost have to go custom to get the things you want.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I already have a blued/walnut RSI, so I'll take a blued/walnut 1A. grin

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My choice would be a "S" model in 7x57 Mauser. I think they are the best looking of all the Ruger #1 models.
I too think that the #1RSI feels clubby, yet the three M77 RSIs I have handle like feathers. Even between those three, all chambered to the .308 Win. BTW, two are really great while one feels a little more sluggish. The only difference from it and the others is there is a bit more wood in the grip and forearm. it sure makes a big difference in the feel and weight.
You have to face facts, any Ruger #1 is going to be a bit on the heavy side. I have a custom .223 Rem. built on a #1 action with lightweight wood in the buttstock and forearm and thin Remington Model 7 20" barrel. With a 3x all steel original Weaver scope and a lightweight leather sling, it still pushes 8 pounds. Nice little fun gun though.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have to go with VAnimrod on this one - that would be a SWEET rifle!

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stanimal
I'd have to go with VAnimrod on this one - that would be a SWEET rifle!
+2.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.