Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
And those same fools advocate a 16 year old voter age.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Curious to me why they haven't gone to 16 already..... nothing really stopping them.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Raising the age to vote and to buy a firearm to 21 would be a good move for anyone not in the military. Would solve a lot of problems today!
Raising the legal age to vote to 30 would solve almost.every problem this nation faces.

But that is no more reasonable than treading on 1'st or 2'nd Amendment rights.

So, lets just repeal the 26'th as a compromise.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Muffin

Curious to me why they haven't gone to 16 already..... nothing really stopping them.
Never could get enough states to ratify a Cont. Amendment. Same reason ERA is not law.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Never could get enough states to ratify a Cont. Amendment. Same reason ERA is not law.

See, that's the rub, California et.al. doesn't NEED anything to be ratified by any other State..... they can pass State Law allowing 16yo to vote and it's done. It is not a violation of the Constitution to do so.

Art. 26 Sec. 1 - '...The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age...'

NOTHING within Art. 26 says that a 16yo CANNOT vote................ It also does NOT say that NON citizens are prohibited from voting(IIRC there are nearly a dozen municipalities that allow non-citizen voting).... Those are STATE issues...

Last edited by Muffin; 06/10/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very few "Numb-nutz" on the street corner as sharp as a recently graduated Marine Private, regardless of age.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the age had been 21, then 20 year old Adam Lanza wouldn't have murdered his mother and stolen her gun to shoot up the Sandy Hook school.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If the age had been 21, then 20 year old Adam Lanza wouldn't have murdered his mother and stolen her gun to shoot up the Sandy Hook school.
Except for the fact that 20 year old Adam Lanza didn't own any guns. He killed his mother and took hers.

She was over 21.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

See, that's the rub, California et.al. doesn't NEED anything to be ratified by any other State..... they can pass State Law allowing 16yo to vote and it's done. It is not a violation of the Constitution to do so.

Art. 26 Sec. 1 - '...The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age...'

NOTHING within Art. 26 says that a 16yo CANNOT vote................ It also does NOT say that NON citizens are prohibited from voting(IIRC there are nearly a dozen municipalities that allow non-citizen voting).... Those are STATE issues...
Thank you for the correctiom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big believer in 21 as long as it's across the board. 21 to vote, 21 to buy alcohol, 21 to buy a firearm and 21 to join the military.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It’s bull schit. You’re either an adult or not.

We have all met 50 year old men and women who are a long ways from being an "adult"..

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my first firearm, a Cooey Model 600 22LR, shortly after I turned 14. I never even thought of shooting someone. I just wanted to shoot ground squirrels (gophers), magpies, crows and starlings. Rabbits and grouse.

About 6 months later, the law changed and I was too young for a FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate, required to purchase a firearm) and would have to wait until I was 16 to get the FAC.

Last edited by AB2506; 06/10/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
I bought my first firearm, a Cooey Model 600 22LR, shortly after I turned 14. I never even thought of shooting someone. I just wanted to shoot ground squirrels (gophers), magpies, crows and starlings. Rabbits and grouse.

Times have changed.

I too "bought" my first firearm when I was 14 with my paper route money, a Winchester 9422 XTR, I still have it.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I think its troublesome that some of you seem to agree with the age being 18 or older to purchase or own a firearm.

Because why?

I think SCOTUS should, when they deliver the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen ruling, include language to the effect the "the age to buy any firearm in any state will be the same age as that state requires to vote; and the ID requirements to purchase a firearm will be the same as that state requires to vote."

Which will, of course, cause the Democrat-run states and cities to revolt.

'Cause rights should not exist with differing standards between the rights.

At least according to me.

Therein lies the problem, and why less and less people are taking Democrats seriously.

A year or 2 ago they wanted to lower the voting age to 16, but now they claim an 18 year olds brain isnt developed enough to buy a firearm.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The age should be 17 to buy or own any firearm.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246#:~:text=The%20militia%20of%20the%20United%20States%20consists%20of,States%20who%20are%20members%20of%20the%20National%20Guard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But a 4 year old can choose their gender.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bought my Remington 521 Targetmaster in 1962 at the age of thirteen. Thru the mail. $27 postal money order.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just me- i find it troublesome that many
continue to enable and make excuses for
many that need to be in a mental health
facility, or in jail or prison, or that need to be
executed and planted.
The processes and institutions for dealing with
those that shouldn't be running around loose
have been created and refined for years and years,
but it's objectionable to admit that our offspring
or friends or relatives are unhinged and need
confinement of one kind or another for the
protection and safety of innocent bystanders

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the idea that a 17 year old girl can't purchase the means to defend herself is not only absurd, but criminal.
Absolutely! A lot of younger girls (edit: and boys) being preyed upon by pedophiles, too. A loud last surprise would solve some problems.

Last edited by DHN; 06/10/22.

Dale

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Is there a statistic out for how many 16 year old girls commit mass murder on a regular basis?

Yeah, I'm betting that's a flatliner without a bubble to be seen anywhere, now matter what timeline you dream up.

Google Brenda Spencer "I don't like Monday's".

Not trying to be a jerk...just bringing this forgotten crime up.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 23 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.