Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Had a buddy get ahold of me yesterday and ask if I'd have an interest. The owner inherited from his grandpa and he believes it may be unfired. I am taking that with a grain of salt, it does have a Redfield 6x aboard so I'm guessing it has been, but, no matter.it does also have an apature sight as well. I've seen pics, although not great, but it does appear pristine. Prices appear to be all over the board on these, and I'm just kind of looking for guys thoughts on real world values on them. My buddy is going to look at the gun in person to check originality, but assuming it is, what are your thoughts? Being conservative, let's say 95%. I've always wanted one, but I want it fair for everyone.

Should qualify, original 52, ser#905xxC

Last edited by PSH; 06/11/22.
GB1

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
No ideas?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just went through a similar experience with a long time friend. He had a Wichester Model 21 Skeet, checkered butt, 20 gauge. A 90%+ gun that he had no idea of value on and I wanted it. Bad!
I paid him $1000.00 more than the best offer received from 3 local dealers. He was shocked and pleased. He thought maybe $300.00-$500.00. I'm thrilled to own it.
We both thought that was fair.
Good luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back to your original question.
Actual retail/collectors value?
Probably$5000-6,000+- if truly all original and real nice?
Now, is he expecting full boat retail? If so, it may take quite some time.
He would need to find a serious Winchester collector looking for that particular 52C. (Collectors can be picky!)
Most dealers pay what? Maybe 50%+- of retail?
Have a dealer sell it on consignment? 10-25%+-?
Just my humble thoughts.
Good luck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I just went through a similar experience with a long time friend. He had a Wichester Model 21 Skeet, checkered butt, 20 gauge. A 90%+ gun that he had no idea of value on and I wanted it. Bad!
I paid him $1000.00 more than the best offer received from 3 local dealers. He was shocked and pleased. He thought maybe $300.00-$500.00. I'm thrilled to own it.
Good luck!

That's a good way to do it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Good luck!

That's a good way to do it.

It worked well for us. He offered it to me for the best dealer offer, but I wasn't comfortable with paying that and felt much better ponying up the extra money. I still ot a very fair deal.
Early on. If I would have offered 3-5 hundred dollars he probably would of taken it! And no one would have been the wiser.
But, I need to sleep at night......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently got into a sporter for just north of $3K in original factory condition, but also with some special order factory features valuable to me. It is probably 85%, but also the most accurate .22 I've ever owned. Enjoy!

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I do appreciate the input guys, 06hunter, im not positive on what he is expecting, but, I do know he has looked at top dollar numbers. Im not willing to pay that, nor am I able. I saw the numbers, but I find it hard to believe they go for that in the real world, hence why I asked for thoughts. I'd love to have it, best I can offer is some money and a good home. At the end of the day, if I am able to score it, my kids will need to worry about selling it. I made an offer and told my buddy to just tell him where I was at or not to bother looking at it as I'd be tapped out. I think I'd always get my money back quickly and I spose thats how I have to look at it.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
grouse, thanks, what youre saying helps.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've owned many 52's over the years though never thought the 52C's trigger made it worth the premium price.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please be sure to let us know how it works out!
Thanks
Ed

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ed, I will. I feel li,like, ill be ok, but I have to rely some on giving it a good home. I'd love to own one e.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
I do appreciate the input guys, 06hunter, im not positive on what he is expecting, but, I do know he has looked at top dollar numbers. Im not willing to pay that, nor am I able. I saw the numbers, but I find it hard to believe they go for that in the real world, hence why I asked for thoughts. I'd love to have it, best I can offer is some money and a good home. At the end of the day, if I am able to score it, my kids will need to worry about selling it. I made an offer and told my buddy to just tell him where I was at or not to bother looking at it as I'd be tapped out. I think I'd always get my money back quickly and I spose thats how I have to look at it.
Look up completed sales on gunbroker. That is the best way to determine actual value. The 52c is a popular one for sure. Doing a quick look up earlier, when you first posted the question, I saw completed sales from $1,200-$2,500.00. What I normally do is look in my Winchester red book of values, when ascertaining value. I'm also with gunwizard on the trigger. Give me a 52B and I'm pretty damn happy. The trigger in the C, as hyped up as it may be, is not worth the premium price over the B. Good luck with it. I hate to keep it so real all the time, but the guys (wanted to say stupid fu cks) paying $5,000 for these aren't going to get any return on their dollar. Making it a pizz poor investment.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Lawrence. I initially tried that and nothing came up. I tried again later and saw a couple that sold so that helped. I agree, there is no way I would give 5K for one ever.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
Thanks Lawrence. I initially tried that and nothing came up. I tried again later and saw a couple that sold so that helped. I agree, there is no way I would give 5K for one ever.

PSH, I've personally seen a few in the $800.00-$1,200.00 range and a beautiful one that I will always kick myself in the azz for not buying back when I bought my 1937 m71 deluxe. That 52 sporter was very nice and the guy only wanted $500 for it. I had only brought $1,000.00 with me, as that was my budget at the time. My buddy that was there offered to let me borrow the extra money to buy the 52 sporter, but I hate borrowing money from people. Now I wish I would have taken him up on the offer. As I'm sure that rifle would sell for upwards of $1,400.00 now. I've never personally seen a 52 of any kind for $5,000.00. I know the books say otherwise, but the proof is in what they actually sell for. My own 52B is a heavy barrel target model and it only cost me $800 a few years back. No one else here is going to admit to buying a 52 recently or otherwise for $5,000.00??? Where are all the collectors at on this site? I'm not one, per se, I just like using them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A pristine C would sell in the $5000 neighborhood IF placed in the right venue. Are they worth that? - they are to the people paying those prices. Is that the “real” world…….if people will pay that then I guess it is?! I never buy for an investment - if I want and like a gun I will pay whatever I deem in my mind as a price that will work for me. If it’s too much I move on - if not I buy it……..it’s pretty simple really.

PennDog

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Lawrence, you hunt for the deals, as do I. Actually it is very true, the hunt is half the fun. If we wait long enough, a guy will find it, lol, some are just harder than others. We all have those that we should have done things differently too, lol. Ya should have borrowed the money, lol. Its nice to have guys that will do that, and id do the same for some. All I know is I wouldn't have 2 pre 64 fwts if I didn't have that, lol. I will, however admit, the 06 I did not need, but a guy walked away and said he'd be back, lol, guess I was teaching him something, lol.

Penndog, I suppose you make a good point there. I think for me, I try to look at things both ways, it is an investment, however, I will say, im definitely willing to pay more for something I "truly" want than I am for something that just sounds like fun for awhile. You hit the nail on the head, "in the right venue", probably is, but I suppose I'm not of a mind to look for that. I did see one 52c that went for over 7, but that was a big auction house and I would not think to go that route, nor would I. I'm thinking you are correct in maybe that could be a real world value in some very limited instances, but I guess that is why I asked for thoughts here. You're thoughts do leave a guy something to contemplate though.

Neither here nor there at this point, I made my top dollar offer, and got word tonight my buddy will be looking at it Thursday. I told him I was done at that. I'm thinking I can get my money back if I had to, but I got others I can sell first, lol..

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
bsa, what does your red blood say on them

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
book. I do not have one

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry, no dog I’m this fight. I don’t know nothing about the 52, but was in a store today that had a pretty clean and perfect one with a rear receiver/target site. I Almost passed out when the price tag was 4500!

I thought trying to find deals on P64’s were bad. Sheeesh!

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,226
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.