-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mom has an oven with a gasket that appears to be rubber. The bottom left corner has separated and I need a high temperature adhesive/glue (not sealant) that will affix the rubber gasket back in place. There are 'L' shaped, flat, attachment pieces at each corner - the gasket is not sealed in place along the perimeter, rather, it is held slightly proud of the glass surface by the 'L' shaped clips at each corner.

Where the gasket separated, it has pulled away from the 'L' bracket/clip. I tried some stove sealant and it didn't work. The 'L' bracket is flat and the gasket has a groove that slides onto the bracket/clip.

Any advice would be appreciated - there's so many high temp adhesives/sealants/epoxies to choose from I am not sure what type to get. Thanks -

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The high temp RTV in the glue section of your hardware store might work. When I have repaired the gaskets on the wood stove or oven I used whatever was recommended for that specific application and I purchased it from the stove shop. I’m sure there are several options but I’d be inclined to call the stove shop and ask them what they recommend. 👍.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Aces, but I'm not sure RTV would work. I used a similar "stove sealant," which seemed very much like an RTV but it did not work. I think the problem is that the RTV product is gasket/sealing material rather than an adhesive meant to physically join two pieces together, if that makes any sense.

- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
The high temp RTV in the glue section of your hardware store might work. When I have repaired the gaskets on the wood stove or oven I used whatever was recommended for that specific application and I purchased it from the stove shop. I’m sure there are several options but I’d be inclined to call the stove shop and ask them what they recommend. 👍.
This. Sounds like you want something that’ll remain flexible.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No real world experience with it, but
I've seen "stove adhesive " in the wood
stove/ fireplace sections at various
hardware stores/ building supply places

Might be worth a look

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
JB Weld has a hi temp epoxy but whether or not it will really work in that environment, I can't say. I have used it to glue bedding block to rifle barrels but that's a lot different than an oven. GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I saw the JB Weld High Temp epoxy and that seems like the product that might work best, but I don't know if it will stick to rubber properly. I could definitely be wrong but the RTV product doesn't seem to have any "sheer strength." The oven gasket wants to pull away from the bracket as it is stretched to fit or slide onto the bracket as shown in the photo.

The stove sealant that I used wasn't strong enough to hold it in place after tying it in place and letting it cure for about 5 hours. It didn't seem to want to stick to the rubber gasket or the metal 'L' bracket.

I suppose I could find a product that would allow me to glue the rubber gasket to the flat, metal L shaped bracket instead of to the corner of the other side of the gasket (which, incidentally, I tried with the stove sealant previously). That didn't work either.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/12/22.

- Del Gue
K
K
I worked on aircraft for 30 yrs there is a product called PRC B1/2 adhesive sealant used in fuel tanks its rubber epoxy very stickie and flexible (aircraft wings move) things attached with it stay attached there are several videos on u-tube on how to use it, brace yourself it's also very expensive.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That gasket doesn't look like rubber to me... Might be some kind of silicone?... But if it is rubber... Try 3M "Super Weather Strip Adhesive"... I use it on Auto Repair & Restorations... Find it at auto parts & paint supply stores... Get everything clean with Alcohol... Then apply to both surfaces and let it sit a few minutes till its good and tacky... press it together and hold it until sets... Tape it or clamp if necessary... I have no idea how it will act with high heat though...

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JB Weld may work it a great product I've use it in many ways over the years....problem the gasket is more than likely silicone or similar and you not going to get much of any thing to permanently adhere to it.....
if JB docent work the only thing to do is see if you can maybe find a new door or a new gasket....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Faced with this I'd first try ultra copper silicone and if that failed, I'd try a couple of sheet metal screws though the gasket.....and some ultra copper.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellers.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. That PRC B1/2 adhesive is pricey.

I think I will try thr JB Weld High Temp adhesive.

If that doesn't work, then I will likely have to order a new gasket.

It may not be rubber, but I kind of doubt it's silicone. The ovens are rather old.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/13/22.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just in case any of youse are interested, the High Temp JB Weld Epoxy seems to have worked.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/18/22.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the follow-up

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yessir

- Del Gue

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 46 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.