Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My Burris 8x30 Signature compact binoculars finally died and could not be fixed. They were only about 25 years old. Burris, always good to their word , sent a Signature 8x42. Great glass, but, hardly compact. Just not the pocket size I want.

How about some recommendations? Looking 8 power, but, 10 is ok. Objective of not more than 30. Smaller is ok, but, the exit pupil gets pretty small with 26 mm objective and 10 power. Needs to be able to fit in a jacket pocket, and , preferably in a large shirt pocket. Don’t want cheapies.

Cannot find anyone locally that stocks any small binoculars.Everything is giant and labeled tactical. Tried Williams Gunsight , but, they were the same as Cabelas and Bass pro. The wife did walk out of Williams with a nice Maple Stocked BL 22, however, that is not really the subject here.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A lot of companies make 8x30 binoculars so it depends on how much you want to spend. Nikon Monarch 7 M7's might be worth a look for under $500. There are lots of other options including Swarovski, Zeiss etc. if you want top quality although those are actually 8x32.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Swarovski 8x32 EL and doubt you will notice the 2mm difference.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kowa Genesis 8x33 are fantastic

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out the Meopta Meostar 8x32

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by KH1473
Kowa Genesis 8x33 are fantastic

+1
Spectacular optics.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Check out the Meopta Meostar 8x32

I've been using a pair of these for a couple of years. Very nice glass. I wouldn't want any smaller than these.....in truth, it took me a long time, and I still struggle with it, to move from 7x42's to the smaller size. I really notice the difference in exit pupil and forgiveness/ease of view of the larger x42's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ronc
Swarovski 8x32 EL and doubt you will notice the 2mm difference.

There's a set in the classifieds here now. Better go snag them. Of course, no pictures as per usual..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stringnut
My Burris 8x30 Signature compact binoculars finally died and could not be fixed. They were only about 25 years old. Burris, always good to their word , sent a Signature 8x42. Great glass, but, hardly compact. Just not the pocket size I want.

How about some recommendations? Looking 8 power, but, 10 is ok. Objective of not more than 30. Smaller is ok, but, the exit pupil gets pretty small with 26 mm objective and 10 power. Needs to be able to fit in a jacket pocket, and , preferably in a large shirt pocket. Don’t want cheapies.

Cannot find anyone locally that stocks any small binoculars.Everything is giant and labeled tactical. Tried Williams Gunsight , but, they were the same as Cabelas and Bass pro. The wife did walk out of Williams with a nice Maple Stocked BL 22, however, that is not really the subject here.

What do you really consider "compact". My Leupold Mojave BX3 8x32's weigh 17 oz's and are barely noticeable when worn all day long. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by stringnut

What do you really consider "compact". My Leupold Mojave BX3 8x32's weigh 17 oz's and are barely noticeable when worn all day long. YMMV..
I bought a used pair of these on here for a little over $200. I'm very happy with them.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 06/16/22.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a binocular to fit in a shirt pocket, the Leica 8x20 is a true compact and a splendid view.

I've not played with the Swarovski CL 8x25 Pocket but can't imagine that one making it on the suck list.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, most of the recommendations given ain't gonna fit "a large shirt pocket."

If that's what you want, shirt pocket compact, and "Don’t want cheapies" your choices are Swarovski CL Pocket, Leica Trinovid/Ultravid, or Zeiss Victory.

I have Swarovski CL Pocket 10x25s and Leica Ultravid 8x20s. The Leicas are smaller, but I prefer the Swaros.

Personally, I wouldn't fret too much about whether to go 8s or 10s, and would just look for the best deal between the 3 mentioned.

Those 8x32 ELs in the Classifieds are a great deal. I have 'em, and they are my go-to bino, but they ain't fittin' in your shirt pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're looking for something in between, and more budget friendly, check out Maven's C.2 7X28. Only 12 ounces and good beat around binos.

I used 'em considerably stalking deer in CRP fields last year, and they're okay. Well worth the sub $300 bucks they cost.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been very happy with my Swaro CL 8x30's (newer version)

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the Swarovski Habicht 10x25B compacts and they are outstanding for everything except fov. I carry the "tiny tens" along with a larger 8x32 Leica for when I want a closer look. Lots of times I don't want to carry even those 8x32's and the compact Swarovski is perfect. Their 8's would give you a wider fov. Both will take a bit of hand eye coordination to center the image when you put them up.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by skeen

If that's what you want, shirt pocket compact, and "Don’t want cheapies" your choices are Swarovski CL Pocket, Leica Trinovid/Ultravid, or Zeiss Victory.

I have Swarovski CL Pocket 10x25s and Leica Ultravid 8x20s. The Leicas are smaller, but I prefer the Swaros.

Personally, I wouldn't fret too much about whether to go 8s or 10s, and would just look for the best deal between the 3 mentioned.

Those 8x32 ELs in the Classifieds are a great deal. I have 'em, and they are my go-to bino, but they ain't fittin' in your shirt pocket.

Agree, the 20-25mm are great, if memory serves many are half the weight of 30mm binos.

I have 8x20 zeiss conquest @ 8oz. and really like them, $400 a decade ago.

Hunted w/a friend in Idaho who had Leica 8x42's, we swapped binos for a bit, his felt like I had a cannonball around my neck, he laughed at how liteweight mine were.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by skeen

I agree 8x30 or 8x32 binoculars won't fit in a shirt pocket, but the OP was replacing an 8x30. I doubt his original 8x30 fit in his shirt pocket. If he wants a true pocket binocular no doubt something smaller is required.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your timing is perfect as we are running our Father's Day Sale through Monday. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by centershot
Been very happy with my Swaro CL 8x30's (newer version)

I bought these back in January and have been very impressed with them. I turkey hunted with them this spring and enjoyed carrying them. They were very portable and easy to one-hand while slipping. I took them on a road trip last week and they are great for the truck. The small 8x30 Swaros really have surprised at how much they don’t give up compared to my larger binos. The point is, these are growing on me and I can tell they will replace some of my larger binos uses.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 8x32 EL Swarovski I have is remarkably good, and what I consider quite light and trim. I have tried the 8 and 10x20 (and 25s), found them woefully lacking compared with a good 8x30 or 32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.