Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by irfubar
The 585 Nayati by Sterling Davenport was uber cool... wink he had it built because his hunting concession had young rogue elephants and he wanted to protect his clients.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-sterling-davenport.cfm?gun_id=101055305

Man, who doesn't need one of those! grin

Very cool! Thanks for posting that Ed.. Beautiful rifle as well.

Semper Fi
GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by EdM
The 585 Nayati by Sterling Davenport was uber cool... wink he had it built because his hunting concession had young rogue elephants and he wanted to protect his clients.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-sterling-davenport.cfm?gun_id=101055305

What a rifle! I noticed it has a Redfield 102 receiver sight.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DavidReed
Originally Posted by BC30cal
[quote=Pappy348]

One of the firearms Ross had that I absolutely lusted for was a prototype drop block made in Germany. If memory serves it was a Blazer maybe???

It looked sort of like a Hagn in a way, but not exactly either. It was chambered in something exotic like a 7x64R too, which made me want one all the more.

Dwayne

I believe that rifle was a Blaser BL 820/821/822 in 7x65R. Their mechanism was something out of a watchmakers shop and thus were too expensive to manufacture and make a decent margins on. They surface from time to time and usually nudge five figures when they do.

The first firearms article I have memories of reading was Ross’s Shooters Insight column in G&A. It had to be around ‘88-‘89 and I was 13 or 14 at the time. Ross wrote about when he first got his .577 Rigby Rising Bite and how the first time he shot it it was off of the hood of his pickup truck! Impressionable as I was, that sealed the deal to be a fan of his writing ever since!

DavidReed;
Top of the cloudy morning to you sir, I hope that this finds you well and you're getting weather you need if not what you want.

Thank you so much for that sir!!! I do believe that's it.

Here's a photo off the ether webs of one.

[Linked Image from dorleac-dorleac.com]

Here's a Hagn for comparison, so my memory isn't that far into the rhubarb this morning.

[Linked Image from static.wixstatic.com]

By the way, if you ever get a change to handle a Hagn, by all means do so. The ones I looked at were nothing short of perfection as far as fit and finish. Way back in the day we used to have a fair sized gun show in the small city we're closest to and I believe it was Ralf Martini who still worked with Martin Hagn then brought some actions and finished rifles over for the show. Wow..... cool

Back then which has to be 30 plus years ago it was $2500 for an action and while I lusted mightily for one, it just was not in the budget.

Thanks so much again for that info sir, I very much appreciate it.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Here you go OGB a picture of Ross's "Oulde Yellow."
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ha Ken, you proved me wrong! it was a Gemsbok not a Sable.... thanks buddy smile going by memory is getting trickier every year.. wink
Irfubar, getting older is not for wimps! smile

How would YOU know,kid???

smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I am in the beginning stages of getting old. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Another funny Ross story... he was having a conversation with a fellow hunter, he was talking about the 270W with 140 failsafe bullets was a perfectly adequate Cape Buffalo rifle... well the guy disagreed with him.... so he offered a wager for every Cape Buffalo he killed with a single shot from the 270 the guy would pick up the tab... if it took two shots Ross would pay... the guy declined

Missed this one the first time around--but around 15 years ago was sitting around an African campfire with the PH I've hunted with most, the now-retired Kevin Thomas. He's a year older than I am, and was born and raised in what was then Rhodesia. His first job out of high school, at age 17, was a ranger for the Rhodesian game department--and he killed his first charging Cape buffalo bull shortly afterward while leading several tourists on a "game viewing" tour in a park.

During our campfire discussion I asked Kevin what he considered the smallest reliable Cape buffalo round. Without hesitation he said, "The .30-06 with 180-grain Nosler Partitions." I was somewhat startled, but asked for more details.

It turned out one of Kevin's jobs in his 20s (meaning the 1970s) was working for one of the huge Rhodesian cattle ranches as a culler. Back then domestic beef cattle were more valuable than wild game--in fact there was virtually no safari industry. Kevin's job involved culling Cape buffalo, which wasn't done at night with head-shots, but during the day during drives. The ranch workers would push buffalo herds toward him, as slowly as possible, and Kevin's rifle of choice was a .30-06 with handloaded 180 Partitions--which at that time were the original lathe-turned models with a "relief groove" around the area of the partition.

I then asked if he'd ever had any difficulties. The culling involved every size of buffalo, from calves on up to mature bulls, and Kevin said, "Never."

I then asked, "Even with frontal shots on big bulls?" He shook his head.

Have also known several other PHs who've regularly used the .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum to kill mature buffalo bulls. In fact the 17-year-old son of my PH on a 2003 safari in Botswana's Okavango Delta was along on the hunt, partly as an apprentice. He'd recently killed his first bull with a .300 Winchester Magnum and a 180-grain Barnes TSX. It went around 75-100 yards before keeling over, after a typical heart-lung shot....

Funny thing about this thread is that Ross killed a cull cape bullalo bull using a .22 Hornet with a single shot over the heart.

Might be the ultimate Stunt Shot.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Another funny Ross story... he was having a conversation with a fellow hunter, he was talking about the 270W with 140 failsafe bullets was a perfectly adequate Cape Buffalo rifle... well the guy disagreed with him.... so he offered a wager for every Cape Buffalo he killed with a single shot from the 270 the guy would pick up the tab... if it took two shots Ross would pay... the guy declined

Missed this one the first time around--but around 15 years ago was sitting around an African campfire with the PH I've hunted with most, the now-retired Kevin Thomas. He's a year older than I am, and was born and raised in what was then Rhodesia. His first job out of high school, at age 17, was a ranger for the Rhodesian game department--and he killed his first charging Cape buffalo bull shortly afterward while leading several tourists on a "game viewing" tour in a park.

During our campfire discussion I asked Kevin what he considered the smallest reliable Cape buffalo round. Without hesitation he said, "The .30-06 with 180-grain Nosler Partitions." I was somewhat startled, but asked for more details.

It turned out one of Kevin's jobs in his 20s (meaning the 1970s) was working for one of the huge Rhodesian cattle ranches as a culler. Back then domestic beef cattle were more valuable than wild game--in fact there was virtually no safari industry. Kevin's job involved culling Cape buffalo, which wasn't done at night with head-shots, but during the day during drives. The ranch workers would push buffalo herds toward him, as slowly as possible, and Kevin's rifle of choice was a .30-06 with handloaded 180 Partitions--which at that time were the original lathe-turned models with a "relief groove" around the area of the partition.

I then asked if he'd ever had any difficulties. The culling involved every size of buffalo, from calves on up to mature bulls, and Kevin said, "Never."

Have also known several other PHs who've regularly used the .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum to kill mature buffalo bulls. In fact the 17-year-old son of my PH on a 2003 safari in Botswana's Okavango Delta was along on the hunt, partly as an apprentice. He'd recently killed his first bull with a .300 Winchester Magnum and a 180-grain Barnes TSX. It went around 75-100 yards before keeling over, after a typical heart-lung shot....

Funny thing about this thread is that Ross killed a cull cape bullalo bull using a .22 Hornet with a single shot over the heart.

Might be the ultimate Stunt Shot.

Ross had the ability and balls to pull such à shoot off

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Acccording to the story there was a .470 Nitro hanging around.

The .22 Mag was pretty much a failed experiment.

Don't go buff hunting with a .22 MAG.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 06/16/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Acccording to the story there was a .470 Nitro hanging around.

The .22 Mag was pretty much a failed experiment.

Don't go buff hunting with a .22 MAG.

Man, now that would have to get your BP up just a little….

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Having not much to do with Ross, but I’ve often wondered about the supposed ironclad Buffalo. I grew up reading the same magazines and books as many have listed on this thread, though they were old copies I picked up here and there as I’m not near as old as most here, and they all talked of giant rifles needed for buffalo. Having killed a goodly number of beef cattle, mostly big old cows and bulls that were sick, I often pondered just how different a buffalo could be, after all they look like a wild cow. I of course realize that stopping one is different than killing one, but assume that much like my experience killing grizzly bears that a charge is the exception rather than the rule and the exception is what sells stories. They are just made of muscle and bone after all.
And I appreciate the stories from those who’ve met the man, he’s always been a favorite, I subscribed to DGJ for a year mainly because that was the only place to get his stories.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
This gem of a post is the reason I wade through so much hate and BS here. Thanks to all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a fun recollection that I figured a few of you would enjoy.

Ross had a nice pond on the ranch that he stocked with small mouth bass and we went fishing one day.

I had a new fly rod and wanted to try and catch a few on poppers.

There was a canoe on the bank that Ross went to move and a garter snake shot out from underneath.

Ross let out a squeal and went into a dance trying to get away from the snake as the snake was trying to get away from him.

After a moment he started laughing and said the only critter he really didn't like were snakes.

Anyways we caught some bass.

When we were testing the 6mm Mach IV he figured we needed to kill something with it to make sure the 100gr BT wouldn't just bounce off.

He was driving down the canal road and spotted an appropriate feathered varmint for testing. I center punched it and it did about what was expected.

He wanted to inspect the wound channel so we drove down to it. He said something about deer flies as we got out of the truck.

Holy schitt were there deer flies. Ross was in his usual shorts and running shoes without a shirt and man were those flies vicious biters. It didn't take me long to head back to the truck cab but he wanted to inspect things a bit longer.

He had one hand slapping flies and the other handling the carcass all while I was bitching about leaving from the Toyota cab.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The [bleep] fact about this thread is that a fella like Ross couldn’t come here and BS with us. Some jacktard would ruin it quick.

Great memory JB

Last edited by beretzs; 06/17/22.

Semper Fi
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting that a 22 Hornet thread is mostly posts about buffalo, elephant, and 1000 yard cartridges, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

smile

Bruce

41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcp
Interesting that a 22 Hornet thread is mostly posts about buffalo, elephant, and 1000 yard cartridges, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Really didn't know what I was getting into when I posted this up 😁

Lots of Ross Seyfried fans & with good reason. I've enjoyed quite a few of his articles that have been linked to this thread.

We deal in lead, friend.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Does anyone have access to or can tell me how to access the articles Ross wrote on the 270 WSM. I remember he wildcatted one before Winchester came out with it.
Thanks.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I believe Ross took top honors at an IPSA or some such handgun championship at Table Mountain Gun Club in Golden, Colorado back in the day. I never learned that until recently, and it stuck because I used to shoot there before it closed down.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There was a canoe on the bank that Ross went to move and a garter snake shot out from underneath.

Ross let out a squeal and went into a dance trying to get away from the snake as the snake was trying to get away from him.

After a moment he started laughing and said the only critter he really didn't like were snakes.

John,

Good story!

I never knew about Ross's snake-phobia (the only time we hunted together was on Vancouver Island), but know some other experienced hunters with the same problem.

Hunted in Tanzania's Selous Reserve around a decade ago, and my main hunting partner was a guy who'd hunted a LOT in various places. The daytime temps ran well over 100 degrees. I finally left my thermometer back in camp, but they might have been 110+. I long ago adapted the huntiing in shorts in hot African conditions, but my partner kept wearing long pants--due to his fear of snakes. He KNEW a poisonous snake could easily bite through his pants, but they made him feel better....

Oh, and we ran into 4 black mambas during the hunt...all of which went the opposite direction, very quickly....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I grew up reading Ross Seyfried in Guns & Ammo, then later Rifle and Handloader, and am enjoying this thread immensely.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What a great thread. As a young man, I was greatly influenced by a few gun writers and Ross Seyfried wad one of the main ones. That's still true today and I just turned 69 last month. The comments by Mule Deer and others are very interesting. Thanks all! We need more of this kind of discourse here on the Fire.

μολὼν λαβέ
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 219DW, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 9,974 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,350
Posts18,546,652
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.