Print Thread
Hop To
B
beefan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
A gently used Savage 340B in 30/30 Winchester followed me home from a local gun shop a few days ago. Hopefully it'll be a decent cast bullet shooter. My old eyes require a scope on a rifle these days and I have a glass lined up. I've done some research on what's available in the way of a side mount and rings.

I'd really like some recommendations from you guys with experience and knowledge of the mounts and rings for the 340,

Thanks

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Weaver discontinued them years ago, but you can still find them floating around once in a while. I used a B Square on mine, which are still available from a few places online.

The real issue is the rifles really weren't designed with a scope in mind. They have to be mounted extremely high to clear the bolt handle, and it just makes the whole thing awkward, imo.

My 222 with the B Square mount. I ended up taking it off.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by zcm82
The real issue is the rifles really weren't designed with a scope in mind. They have to be mounted extremely high to clear the bolt handle, and it just makes the whole thing awkward, imo.

Why didn't you just add one of those slip on comb risers to get your eye in alignment? Seems like an easy fix to use a scope.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/...roducts/comb-raising-kit-2-0-rifle-black

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
It was mostly the balance and carrying that was thrown off. It was fine to shoot off a bench, but I got it to use as a walking varminter, and having a scope sitting slightly offset 3-4" over the bore just made it real clunky feeling. I'm not shooting any kind of extreme distances with it, so just putting better set of sights on it worked out fine for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the B-Square and the stamped Weaver, both worked fine on mine but I did have a Fajen stock on mine with a high comb. I didn't have problems with bolt handle clearance as I used the older Weaver and Leupold scope with smaller ocular housings.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The B-Square unit would be my choice. For a long time CDNN was selling them for $10, so I bought 1 or 2 to set aside in case I ever bought another 340 series rifle that I wanted to shoot.

If the stock's comb height is too low, the Beartooth comb riser kits work well, I use them on Ruger American Predators and some old Husqvarnas with low comb mannlicher-style stocks.

Good luck with your new to you rifle.

B
beefan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just the kind of feed back I was looking for. Much obliged fellas!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought one (Weaver) and the issue is modern scopes adjustment buldges are too large,
I'm not sure what it's called but the center of the scope, where the windange and elevation adjustments are are larger on modern scopes, They were too large for the mount, I found an older tasco 4X with smaller areas that fit.

Mine's a 30-30, tree stand gun for think cover so being offset isn't a big issue for me,

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I put a sun optics base on mine, similar to the b-square. I tried the beartooth neoprene cheek riser, but didn't like it. This cheap plastic riser works much better for me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rickshaw, I really like that, so much better than the original side mount Weaver I bought for mine.
Mine has vertical rings and NO WAY that scope would fit in the mount.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,232
Posts18,524,802
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.