Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17412047 07/10/22
BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't know where else to ask this. Has anybody done business with Homeofonlineammo or know anything about them? I'm just trying to find out if they are legit.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My guess is if you have to ask, they’re probably a scam. Look at their address, payment options, etc. lots of scams out there.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The knock off websites usually don’t take CC, and usually have the uncommon stuff in stock.

Edit-

I can’t even open their site. One quick google search screams scam.

Last edited by robertham1; 07/10/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Reliable sites I’ve used lately, besides the biggies like Midway, have been the Norma and CCI sites, Rogers Sporting Goods, Sportsmans Guide, and Mutiny Machine. No issues with any of those.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington, Federal, Cabelas, Barnes, Midway, and couple more that I forget the name, I am on their mailing list and all have been spot on. tracking numbers and easy to track the shipment. If you buy enough they have free shipping.

I have gotten tired of going to the local stores and they do not have what I am looking for so I purchase from the above.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beside the aforementioned, I've bought from Midsouth Shooters, Selway Armory, Kabeles, and Palmetto State. No problems with any of them. Midsouth ships the slowest, but they state so right on their site straight off. They've always shipped within a week.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bwana338
I have gotten tired of going to the local stores and they do not have what I am looking for so I purchase from the above.

Same here. Most big box stores don't carry Lapua ammo, and my .308s like it. Until I can get set up to reload again I'll be buying a lot of it. When I do, I'll have a ton of Lapua brass to work with. Norma too.

Add Creedmoor Sports to the good guy list as well.

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replys. They have all the name brand ammo listed. There are some pretty good buys. I'm just a little bit leary about ordering from these companies now days. There's always somebody out there trying to take advantage and rip us off. I was just wondering if anybody had ever heard of them. Thanks again.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I have had good results with SGAmmo.com. I have ordered several times in the last year without a problem. Quick response. Orders over two hundred dollars ship free.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRoper
Don't know where else to ask this. Has anybody done business with Homeofonlineammo or know anything about them? I'm just trying to find out if they are legit.

What have you done to vet them?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The question comes up often as more and more scam sites are created. Here's a test that you can apply. I don't do business if they raise any red flags. Since questions about business legitimacy come up often, I thought I'd start a thread on it for future reference. What should I add to the list?

Phone Number: Is there a phone number prominently displayed on their home page. Red Flag if there is not.

Address: Do they have a physical address posted? If not Red Flag. If they do have an address, what does it look like on Google street view or satellite map? Red Flag if it doesn't look like a business.

Inventory: Do they have a lot of hard to find stuff or too good to be true pricing? Red Flag if they do.

Business History: When you Google the business name with the words review and complaint, what do you find? Little footprint or a lot of negative reviews or BBB complaints is a red flag.

Payment Method: Crypto, Venmo, Pay Pal friends and family only? Red Flag.

Site Language: Do you notice language errors or irregularities? Red Flag if there are errors and oddities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^^ Everything in Paul's post hits the nail on the head.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
SG is top rate !!!

"not too grumpy"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The question comes up often as more and more scam sites are created. Here's a test that you can apply. I don't do business if they raise any red flags. Since questions about business legitimacy come up often, I thought I'd start a thread on it for future reference. What should I add to the list?

Phone Number: Is there a phone number prominently displayed on their home page. Red Flag if there is not.

Address: Do they have a physical address posted? If not Red Flag. If they do have an address, what does it look like on Google street view or satellite map? Red Flag if it doesn't look like a business.

Inventory: Do they have a lot of hard to find stuff or too good to be true pricing? Red Flag if they do.

Business History: When you Google the business name with the words review and complaint, what do you find? Little footprint or a lot of negative reviews or BBB complaints is a red flag.

Site Language: Do you notice language errors or irregularities? Red Flag if there are errors and oddities.

Just to add to what Paul has mentioned here, you can also run a {whois} command in the URL box of your browser. It would look like this:

whois ammo.com <- type the whois command, add a space, and then the URL (or address) of the website. The Domain Information section will tell you when the site was registered, and if its current, and there SHOULD be some registrant contact information in the Registrant Contact section. Sometimes the phone number matches the website phone, and sometimes it does not. If it does not match, call it. Never know what you'll get. There usually won't be a name in this section, due to the Whois Privacy Service. <- that should NOT be taken as a red flag.

IMPORTANT: None of the information presented in the whois can ON ITS OWN be used to disqualify a website as authentic, but there's a lot of information there that can be used to help you track it down. If a website was registered less than 6 months ago? Red flag. <- that's a 'for instance'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sniggly

Just to add to what Paul has mentioned here, you can also run a {whois} command in the URL box of your browser. It would look like this:

whois ammo.com <- type the whois command, add a space, and then the URL (or address) of the website. The Domain Information section will tell you when the site was registered, and if its current, and there SHOULD be some registrant contact information in the Registrant Contact section. Sometimes the phone number matches the website phone, and sometimes it does not. If it does not match, call it. Never know what you'll get. There usually won't be a name in this section, due to the Whois Privacy Service. <- that should NOT be taken as a red flag.

IMPORTANT: None of the information presented in the whois can ON ITS OWN be used to disqualify a website as authentic, but there's a lot of information there that can be used to help you track it down. If a website was registered less than 6 months ago? Red flag. <- that's a 'for instance'.

Does that also give a date for when the domain name was established? That's another possible red flag.

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been pleasantly surprised with some of the free shipping and competitive priced ammo offerings from Sportsman’s of late. You may want to take a look at their e-commerce site too.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sniggly

Does that also give a date for when the domain name was established? That's another possible red flag.

Yessir it does. Which is actually a good point because if the domain is several years old, the likelihood of it being fraudulent is low.

I should add that just because a domain was established 6 months ago, while it might be a red flag, it isn't necessarily true that its a fraudulent site. Other evidenciary details will matter too.

Last edited by Sniggly; 07/11/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CP
I have been pleasantly surprised with some of the free shipping and competitive priced ammo offerings from Sportsman’s of late. You may want to take a look at their e-commerce site too.

Sportsman's Warehouse or Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore?

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sportsman's Warehouse

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If they give an address try google maps to get a picture. Usually a residential street. It also seems that besides the red flags listed above, many of the scammers have one 5-star review. When in doubt, do without !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 49 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,696
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.