-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bristoe - our church these days is not Lutheran, but we have a bunch of experience from the past. Your comments about the variants (synods) seem to be right on the mark.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you want to think about it, Catholicism is reformed Judaism and the Lutheran denomination is reformed Catholicism.

That should be enough to cause some gnashing of teeth.
If we go back to Jesus, he was a Jew. The first Christians were Jews and did not think they were leaving Judaism. So I am going to have to believe we have converted to Judaism and believe Jesus is who he claimed to be. The rest of the unbelieving Jews (and Moslems, and wayward Christians) will believe before long.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
.....which is the original foundation of the Protestant Christian religion.

Wouldn't a religion whose identity consists of protest have a foundation based on the thing they were protesting? Or if it is reformation rather than protest, the thing they were reforming? If grace, faith, Christ, scripture, and the glory of God alone are the foundation, why identify as protestant or reformed?

Read up on the reformation.

Isn't the foundation of the reformation church the Roman Catholic church? Luther and other reformers identified with it, came from within it, and attempted to reform it. It was certain doctrines within the Roman Catholic church that they protested. How can this agree with the principle of Solus Christus? "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

Was the Roman Catholic church God's institution on earth? Did it simply have some errors that needed to be reformed? Or had the Catholic church in Luther's time originated as the State Church of the Roman Empire through Constantine I's Edict of Milan and Edict of Thessalonica? With a Protestant and Reformed identity, isn't the history and origin of a Lutheran identity inextricably linked to the Roman Catholic institution?

Is the Roman Catholic church the great whore that sitteth upon many waters, with whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication, with the name written upon her forehead, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH? I'm not asserting that these are one and the same, but there is a lot of evidence that causes me concern. I can certainly see protesting something like Romanism and Papism, but why would I want to identify with something that only tried to fix a few things with it? The history has something to learn from, but what value is that identity offering the people of God?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Wouldn't a religion whose identity consists of protest have a foundation based on the thing they were protesting? Or if it is reformation rather than protest, the thing they were reforming? If grace, faith, Christ, scripture, and the glory of God alone are the foundation, why identify as protestant or reformed?

Isn't the foundation of the reformation church the Roman Catholic church? Luther and other reformers identified with it, came from within it, and attempted to reform it. It was certain doctrines within the Roman Catholic church that they protested. How can this agree with the principle of Solus Christus? "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

Was the Roman Catholic church God's institution on earth? Did it simply have some errors that needed to be reformed? Or had the Catholic church in Luther's time originated as the State Church of the Roman Empire through Constantine I's Edict of Milan and Edict of Thessalonica? With a Protestant and Reformed identity, isn't the history and origin of a Lutheran identity inextricably linked to the Roman Catholic institution?

Is the Roman Catholic church the great whore that sitteth upon many waters, with whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication, with the name written upon her forehead, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH? I'm not asserting that these are one and the same, but there is a lot of evidence that causes me concern. I can certainly see protesting something like Romanism and Papism, but why would I want to identify with something that only tried to fix a few things with it? The history has something to learn from, but what value is that identity offering the people of God?

Can you condense this down to a few key points?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antlers
The only thing that Jesus seemed to consistently position Himself against were the people on the religious side of the aisle; He seemed to have kind of a perennial conflict with the Pharisees.

And it seems that the stance of some denominations nowadays is: become like us and then you can join us; but while we think you’re embracing those sinful lifestyles or bad habits or supporting candidates that we don’t agree with, then stay over there. But once you become like us then you can join us.

In the New Testament, that sounds like the Pharisees.
At our church we welcome anyone that doesn't come to disrupt. We have had the gay, the alcoholic, unwed couples, dope heads, ex-convicts, you name it. They are welcome because we all admit to falling short of what we should be. But we are careful who we put in a position of authority, and we do not endorse immoral life styles. And we are very careful as to who teaches children.
At the same time, it's necessary that they never be told that their sin is acceptable. The idea is to bring them to repentance. That's how Jesus did it. He came for the sinners and he cured them. At no time did he tell them that they could continue sinning and be ok.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Hate the sin, love the sinner."

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
If we go back to Jesus, he was a Jew. The first Christians were Jews and did not think they were leaving Judaism. So I am going to have to believe we have converted to Judaism and believe Jesus is who he claimed to be. The rest of the unbelieving Jews (and Moslems, and wayward Christians) will believe before long.
Apostle Peter clearly disagreed with you. He made this issue crystal clear at the First Jerusalem Council when he said that it is through the grace of Jesus that Jews are saved, just as the Gentiles are. Grace…not the Mosaic Law.

And James (Jesus’ own brother) clearly disagreed with you. He also made this issue crystal clear at this same Council when he said that the early church should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God by requiring them to convert to Judaism.

The implication of both Peter and James (both Jews, and both leaders in the early Jesus movement) is that Jesus-following Jews must move in the same direction as the Gentiles and stop expecting the Gentiles to move in the direction of the Jews.

Grace…not the Mosaic Law.
NEW Covenant…not the old covenant.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Can you condense this down to a few key points?

Sure. If the Catholic church is the great whore, then the Lutheran church is a harlot and abomination of the earth because she is its mother.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Sure. If the Catholic church is the great whore, then the Lutheran church is a harlot and abomination of the earth because she is its mother.

And is the mother of every Protestant Church ever conceived,...including the snake handling Pentecostals.

But I'm not in agreement with your take on the book of Revelations.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
LIQUOR GUNS BACON & TITS

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

And is the mother of every Protestant Church ever conceived,...including the snake handling Pentecostals.

Not every church is Catholic or Protestant though.

To be sure, it was a suppositional 'take.' If you don't agree with it, how certain are you?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

To be sure, it was a suppositional 'take.' If you don't agree with it, how certain are you?

Bristoe...wtf are you doing?

Dawg!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Bristoe...wtf are you doing?

Dawg!

Need some Nuns and a Monsignor to come in and give these folks some Catechism lessons, eh?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

So you're,....like,..a Buddhist or somethin'?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gonna be a great multitude of people expecting a front row seat finding out they are not invited to the party.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jdm953
Gonna be a great multitude of people expecting a front row seat finding out they are not invited to the party.

In your opinion, who will be invited?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jdm953

In your opinion, who will be invited?
The thief hanging next to Jesus had the right attitude. He knew he did not live right and was getting what he deserved. A person that is really saved never loses that attitude. They know what they are and have been and that of themselves will never reach the mark. They know they can have life but not of themselves.

Last edited by jdm953; 07/11/22.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There isn’t a church denomination in America that can avoid the Catholic Church in its lineage. Please don’t trot out the pathetic book “Trail of Blood”. They guy tried to make his point and was well intended. I’ve read the book, considered his hypothesis and discussed the issue with people well studied in church history. Baptist doctrine doesn’t have a straight line forward from the NT.

It seems to me that the idea of infidelity is carried through scripture from the beginning of Genesis. God’s people are always unfaithful. The example is always there. It seems to me that we should consider ourselves no better. Redeemed but unfaithful and sinners.

LCMS is definitely not large C catholic. I started studying their doctrine about 7? years ago. Definitely not Catholic. Truth be told, modern Catholic doctrine doesn’t vary much from modern American Evangelical doctrine.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BLRNut
Are you Methodist Church members on the Fire aware of the change being advocated in our denomination??

The Conference wants to allow same-sex celebrations, ie our ministers permitted to marry LGBTQ persons, and our ministers to be able to be "avowed practicing homosexuals". This proposed change would be AGAINST The Methodist Church's long-standing doctrine on homosexuality and homosexual activity by its leaders.

I am not trying to create dissension or havoc only wanted to know if any on here were aware of this proposed change.
The devil is in charge of just about all mainline denominations, now.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by IZH27
&Bristoe

I’ve been taking my family to an LCMS congregation for about 3 years. I spent the last 6 years becoming familiar with the doctrine and views. My oldest son was confirmed into the church earlier this year and my wife and I became members as of Sunday.

There are some differences but like you pointed out it’s pretty much unchanged since 500 years ago. A couple of years ago a German student spent a week with us. Other than the English being spoken he said that the service is much the same.

I can't speak for what's transpired over the past 500 years. But it's fairly obvious that the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church that I attend holds close to tradition.

The ELCA Churches have "jumped the shark" from what I've read. I've never attended one, however.

I think a lot of the Protestants who are having to fight their leadership over the homosexual issue should just jump ship and find a LCMS church that suits them.

So far it's not having any of that nonsense,...no women Pastors, either.

Several years ago I wouldn't have thought nothing about women Pastors. But I've learned a lot about women since then.

I think that the ELCA jumped the shark decades ago. We’ve never attended one. Several years ago when I lived in Columbia we would drive over to Bowling Green and visit the LCMS there. I’m attending one in Florence now. They are almost identical if not identical in order of service.

From what I’ve studied up on the church has been pretty much unchanged. I think that there are some churches that have moved to a little more modern music but not the praise and worship junk that almost every church out there has adopted.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 13,619 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,132
Posts18,542,399
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.