-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For a 7x junkie like me this seems almost too good to be true...

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=2571

The folks at Eagle Optics claim these were marked down from an original asking price of $750. I dunno if THEY were originally asking that much or if that was just a MSRP, browsing around I found them still offered for as high as $500 and change.

The consensus of the astronomy folks over at www.cloudynights.com is that one should snap these things up...

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

This particular model is being discontinued so the pricing through Eagle Optics is fantastic.

These are phase coated, pure silver mirrored BaK-4 prisms. They are being discontinued because of the flood of cheaper roof prism binoculars coming into this country from China....

Yesterday during the late afternoon to early evening I was looking at the birds in our backyard, telephone poles & wires, trees, bushes, chimney, rooftop, whatever, comparing the Fujinon CD to the Leupold Katmai...

The CD 7x is very bright, very clear, very sharp.

Looking at the bluejays, from 45', the colors were vibrant and the patterns were razor sharp. Looking at the grackles the iridescent colors were glistening and the yellow eyes were gemstone in appearance.

I was also using a 100 yard rifle target posted on a wire fence 41' away. I was sitting in my favorite "kids mini-rocker". I was able to read numbers 5/32nd's in size horizontally all across the target. I was also able to read printed words 3/32nd's in size...

Turns out these are Japanese made but being undersold by Chinese production.

I'm gonna float a WAG that these things are in the Pentax DCF WP quality ballpark.

Sorta nice to have a last opportunity for a "Made in Japan" binoc, especially at that price.

I did a quick search and didn't find these things mentioned anywhere here in the past. Has anyone here used 'em?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I haven't ever used them BW but looking at the specs they seem to be very similar to the Bushnell Discoverer. Another clone perhaps?

The Meade Montana 7x42 was selling in the $150 to $200 and has often been remarked upon to being identical to the Discoverer....which has always received high praise. I have owned the Montana, briefly, and it basically was what it was touted to be...bright, fairly crisp with a very wide field of view.

The downsides were the weight (compared to other mid-priced roofs) and a higher level of distortion than I am accustomed to.

Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had an older set of porro prism fuji's in 7x50. they were optically just about everthing my leica's are. they were an ergonomic nightmare as each eyepiece had to be individually focused, but they were dang nice for the $$$. I had a friend with the pentax's......fuji's by a long shot.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I emailed EO asking them if the claimed original $725 asking price of the Fujinons on their website was an old MSRP or what they used to sell 'em for.

They told me the $725 was in indeed an MSRP and that they sold them at "Minimum Advertised Retail" (I didn't know there was such a thing) without specifiying what that was.

They did say the Fujinons were similar to the old Bushnell Discoverers in design but were a definite step up in optics, clearer and brighter edge to edge. The Discovers though went through a couple of upgrades during a long production run, so I dunno which version they were referring to. They used to sell the Discoverers for $300.

Minimum advertised price? There appears to be much to the intricacies of the binocular market, that market even now in a state of constant change. One thing that IS true is that the price of decent glass continues to fall.

I'm guessing five years back folks would have happily been laying out $400+ (those Fujinons are still listed at $500 some places on the net) for the likes of the Fujis, I came across mention of a site selling those same Fujinon 7x42's for $138!
http://cameras.pricegrabber.com/binoculars/m/690202/

A buyer's market for binocs at the moment.

Anyhow, I have emailed them back asking for that minimum advertised price.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 10/13/07.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I took delivery of a pair today.

Browsing around, Fujinon was probably the maker who made these for Bushnell (Discoverer) and Meade (Montana).

FWIW the "list" price for these on the invoice from EPO was $520 although they told me via email they had never actually carried them. Perhaps the $520 was the aforementioned "minimum advertised price".

Same edge rolling effect with these as mentioned for the Montana, but clear and bright center field. The outer 20% of the wide 420' FOV is out of focus but otherwise of little concern to me, mostly in birding I need that wide field to pick up movement.

Very good depth of field and light gathering ability.

I don't care for the center diopter adjustment (which doesn't appear to adjust much) but at least it can be checked by feel by virtue of a raised bump on the ring, I hate having to reach for reading glasses in the field to check the diopter setting of binocs.

EO claims these things are clearer and brighter than the equivalent Bushnells, which if true likely applies to the Meades too. If so its gotta be the lens coatings.

My take, these things are competent mid-priced roofs, $189 being a good deal while it lasts. I dunno how this deal compares to $150 for the Montanas.

Birdwatcher

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.